Thread: Snake Lizards (Lialis): Keeping Unique Legless Lizard-Eaters

findiviglio

Default Snake Lizards (Lialis): Keeping Unique Legless Lizard-Eaters

Hi All,

While working at the Bronx Zoo some years ago, I was delighted to receive a surprise shipment of New Guinea Snake Lizards (Lialis jicari). Also known as the Long Headed Scaly-foot or Flap-Footed Lizard, it and the related Burton’s Snake Lizard (Lialis bertoni) have long fascinated herpetologists and hobbyists alike. As you’ll see below, their similarity to snakes goes way beyond a limbless body; indeed, many consider the Snake Lizards to be an example of convergent evolution (unrelated species evolving similar characteristics). Today I’d like to summarize my experiences and some of what is known about these amazing, little-studied creatures. Read article here: Snake Lizards - Legless Lizard-eaters in the Wild and Captivity | That Reptile Blog

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Froggiefressh

Default Re: Snake Lizards (Lialis): Keeping Unique Legless Lizard-Eaters

Thanks for sharing your experince, I enjoyed reading your article very much!

findiviglio

Default Re: Snake Lizards (Lialis): Keeping Unique Legless Lizard-Eaters

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your comment somehow. Thanks so much for the kind words. I see you have a collection that features many of my favorites; I've written articles on most...please let me know if you'd like links. Enjoy, Best, Frank

Thread Information