Thread: Starters Tree Frogs?

BerryNight

Question Starters Tree Frogs?

What types of tree frogs would be good starter frogs for a child? It needs to be easy to feed, hold and take care of. Preferably a smaller kind. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Default Re: Starters Tree Frogs?

The only one I've heard of not being too temperamental with being held are Whites/Dumpy's .... I find Greys have been easy to care for but that's the only ones I've ever had XD

BerryNight

I agree, Grey's are too easy! Haha... I think my White's has been easy so far as well!

White's are great starters, as they tolerate some handling. If handling isn't a huge issue; Green, Grey, and Red Eye are other good starters.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would recommend green tree frogs. Just remember that frogs don't like to be handled.

Pactolus

I would recommend not getting ANY kind of delicate animal as a pet for a child. A child can't really understand responsibility or caring for an amphibian.

Whites might tolerate handling, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD be held by our salty hands or a child playing with one like it's a toy.

KingCam

A good starter tree frog is a grey tree frog. They tolerate a wide range of temperatures and humidity levels. HOWEVER! No tree frog likes to be handled, it's not good for their skin. They also have delicate bones, they are not really appropriate for a small child.

KiwiSugar

Hi, I think this is a great way to educate children about frogs. There are times when you do need to handle frogs, it is a good way to learn not to be scared and learn to respect life. Just remember to have clean wet hands. If you get a young frog they can learn from each other.
    The bell frogs havea toxin on their skin so wet hands before and after handling. They are still a good frog for a child
    (grow to 70mm-100mm tho, but live long)
    What ever frog u get be informed, it can be fasinating learning about them for a child, or even getting a large tadpole to watch it change.

Thread Information