Thread: Sterilizing Sticks

SparkyTucker69

Default Sterilizing Sticks

I have always just put sticks that I found in my yard in my RETF's tank without really doing anything to sterilize them (I only used Wipe Out). I knew that you were supposed to bake them but was afraid do it because of the fire risk. So it's time for new sticks again (the ones in there now are starting to grow this white mold-looking stuff) and I really want to bake them this time but how can I ensure that there won't be a fire?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frogdad

Default Re: Sterilizing Sticks

I just sterilized a couple sticks from my yard last week. I had a large limb that was dead and the bark had fallen off. I put the sticks in a 5 gallon bucket and pour boiling water over them and let soak for about an hour. Then I baked the sticks for about 2 hours at 400 degrees. The sticks soak up some water and this will help prevent them from burning. keep an eye on them bc I did have some very minor burns on the tips.
    Maybe someone else can give some advice on the types of wood to stay away from. I think I read not to use any wood from pine and cedar tree. Not positive.
    Here is how mine turned out.

KingCam

They will not catch on fire in the oven unless they are sitting directly on the heating elements. Just bake at like 350 or 300 for half an hour. Besides, they would start smoking heavily long before they burst into flames, so as long as you're paying attention there is really nothing to be concerned about. I have baked a million sticks, nothing bad has ever come from it.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Best link I have refered to, to sterilize my wood. I have done both methods described. Hope this adds to the information given above

Treating Wild-Caught Wood
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

6. This member thanks frogluver for this post:

SparkyTucker69

Thanks for the advice! I found some pretty cool sticks, sanded them and baked 'em at 350 for thirty minutes. They're cooling right now. I was wondering if there was anything else I should do?

I have a similar question, and didn't want to create a thread for the same topic.

I would like to incorporate a large piece of wood in my terrarium, pretty much simulating a tree. So I've got a punky log cut to fit, (split almost down the center) with the flat side against the glass, (will be anchored with suction cups) and the bark exposed to the terrarium. It's about 6" thick.

Do baking times need to be increased for thicker pieces of wood? I want to make sure I get the entire inside of the log sterilized, but would like to avoid burning the bark.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Think of fresh wood like steak and punky wood like hamburger. If there are cracks and channels for water to get to the core of the wood, mold and bacteria can be there also, and the core temperature must be well cooked (which is why a rare steak is not a health threat, but hamburger can be bad). But if the wood is solid, a surface treatment should do. My advice is to cook at a lower temp, like 250, if boiling water can kill anything, that temp should work fine, and it should be impossible to catch the wood on fire, and make sure you leave it in long enough to get the core up to temp.
    Last edited by teslas intern; January 17th, 2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Autocorrect snafu...

Awesome analogy, thanks for the help.

I agree with Scott, I personally bake at the lower temp of 250. Either way, keep a close eye on it!!

Quote Originally Posted by teslas intern View Post
    Think of fresh wood like steak and punky wood like hamburger. If there are cracks and channels for water to get to the core of the wood, mold and bacteria can be there also, and the core temperature must be well cooked (which is why a rare steak is not a health threat, but hamburger can be bad). But if the wood is solid, a surface treatment should do. My advice is to cook at a lower temp, like 250, if boiling water can kill anything, that temp should work fine, and it should be impossible to catch the wood on fire, and make sure you leave it in long enough to get the core up to temp.

Thread Information