Thread: New arrivals.

justin shockey

Default Re: New arrivals.

how are the new little guy Agustin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

How are they adjusting? Fine thus far. All have been hit with metronidazole. Next round of drugs with be some fenbendazole.

justin shockey

good i hope they thrive

Kurt

Me too.

Username

Cool! How old are they now? They look like interesting frogs to have!

Kurt

They are doing great. I did pick up another pair after this was posted, but one has died. So now I have four of them, with the most recently purchased one still in quarantine. I do want to breed them, but I have to get my but in gear and build another rain chamber.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Just curious. How expensive were those guys? Cause i really like them.

Kurt

Red-banded rubber frogs are usually under $20. They are all wild caught, but I am hoping I can change that. Just got to get my but in gear and try to breed them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck would like if you kept us updated.

Kurt

Thanks. When I do manage to breed them, I will write an article on it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks

Kurt

You're welcome and good luck getting some rubber frogs of your own. I love mine. Would love to get some of the species that you don't get to see in the pet trade, like affinis and annectens. Maybe somalicus as well, though I have no idea what looks like.

thejolta

Are rain chambers required to mate all kinds of frogs? Because I have a pair of Green tree frogs 1 female and 1 male and was wondering if they'd be mating anytime soon.

Kurt

I think amphibians need some sort of rain chamber to get going in that department. Rain is usually the factor that starts up the breeding season, whether its the first warm rains in the temperate zones or the first rains of the wet seasons in the tropics. Its weather that plays a major role in amphibian reproduction.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I think amphibians need some sort of rain chamber to get going in that department. Rain is usually the factor that starts up the breeding season, whether its the first warm rains in the temperate zones or the first rains of the wet seasons in the tropics. Its weather that plays a major role in amphibian reproduction.
    I would like to point out that rain is only an important factor to species that live in areas that experience droughts or low rain fall for extended periods of time, and also for species that only breed in temporary bodies of water.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Well, that what I was thinking about when I wrote that, vernal pond and savanah types mostly. But rain does stimulate red-eyes to breed and they are rain forest types.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Kurt, Your Red banded Rubber Frogs are a beautiful vibrant colour. Good luck with your breeding.

Kurt

Thanks. Like I have said before, just got to get off my butt and away from this computer.

Nationality
    [South Africa]

Hi Kurt, what age (or size) more or less are your banded rubber frogs? Mine are around 8 months old now and the largest female is 1.2inces (3cm) and I am under the impression that they need to be over a year to be able to breed, what are your thoughts on this?

They are really amazing frogs don't you think? I love how they always doing something, I have 5 and keeping them in a very simple enclosure (for now) and at night they are always out and about walking around and looking for food, and they have such a great apatite that they are a pleasure to work with.

Kurt

Truth be told, I have no idea how old they are. I got the first one at least two years ago. The others last spring. One of the new ones is huge, relatively speaking of course. Its got to be female.

They are fun to watch. The other night I went to feed them and my "oldest" popped his head out of the hide box and saw me. He then came running out, I think he has figured out where the food comes from. I have seen this in lizards, turtles, snakes, and tiger salamanders. Rarely have I seen it in frogs. I think my White's and fire-bellied toads have figured it out as well, but I am not 100 % sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information