Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what do you use to disinfect?

mrzoggs

Default Re: what do you use to disinfect?

This is why we disinfect with bleach instead of other cleaners since bleach will kill more than most other cleaners. It is best to get out as much as possible when disinfecting a tank.

Unlike some of us on here, most people who have amphibians/reptiles for pets do not clean their tank as often as they should. Heck ill admit, in the past i didnt either. When they finally clean their pets tank, it is best to go ahead and use bleach as apposed to any other product, since it is more effective. Im sure there are more effective ways of cleaning a tank, but they are not as cheap and easily available as bleach. And with any cleaner, i would rinse just as much as if i were using bleach, but i would be more confident with using bleach. Zoo Med is just as harmful as bleach. Alcohol on your frogs will kill them too.

2. This member thanks mrzoggs for this post:

gut

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ization-2.html

a little bit of searching goes a long ways.

plenty of people suggest bleach. bleach is basically one of the cheapest, most effective ways. Seems that neither of them kill 100% though.

TeeRiddle

I have used a product called Healthy Habitat for my bearded dragon enclosure, but not sure if it's safe for amphibians.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by mrzoggs View Post
    This is why we disinfect with bleach instead of other cleaners since bleach will kill more than most other cleaners. It is best to get out as much as possible when disinfecting a tank.

Unlike some of us on here, most people who have amphibians/reptiles for pets do not clean their tank as often as they should. Heck ill admit, in the past i didnt either. When they finally clean their pets tank, it is best to go ahead and use bleach as apposed to any other product, since it is more effective. Im sure there are more effective ways of cleaning a tank, but they are not as cheap and easily available as bleach. And with any cleaner, i would rinse just as much as if i were using bleach, but i would be more confident with using bleach. Zoo Med is just as harmful as bleach. Alcohol on your frogs will kill them too.
    Yes, but alcohol evaporates much faster than bleach so less likely to leave any behind. I'm very thorough with cleaning my tanks. I leave nothing behind. Alcohol was once used to euthanize amphibians, but no longer. It is extremely deadly even in the smallest amount, but like you said the same can be said about bleach.

Nationality
    [United States]

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...ization-2.html

a little bit of searching goes a long ways.

plenty of people suggest bleach. bleach is basically one of the cheapest, most effective ways. Seems that neither of them kill 100% though.
    yeah there is always some kind of super germ that seems to survive the most potent disinfectant.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by TeeRiddle View Post
    I have used a product called Healthy Habitat for my bearded dragon enclosure, but not sure if it's safe for amphibians.
    I've seen this product, but have never used it. Most that are not safe for amphibians will say so, but not all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I guess I could use the everclear that's in my fridge Lol!! I only use it for home remedies and sore throats.

mrzoggs

there are plenty of things that would euthanize a frog that i would not use for cleaning. It may evaporate faster but im not going to give it the chance to evaporate. A bathtub and a drinking cup do perfect for rinsing. I would rinse as well when using alcohol as i would when using bleach. Also bleach is cheaper and more effective, so i see no need to use alcohol. And most alcohol you buy in stores is not pure alcohol. Usually it is +-50%. You can get a better alcohol in walmart "isopropryl" iso for short. It comes in a clear bottle with a red label and its something like 90%. Not sure exactly the percent but i know its pretty strong. Still not as effective as bleach when it comes to cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing, but is better than some rubbing alcohol you find in other places. Either will kill your frog, the thing is that bleach is more effective at killing germs. I would take the same precautions when rinsing with both of them but id definitely rather remove more germs so bleach is the best way to go.

mrzoggs

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Well I guess I could use the everclear that's in my fridge Lol!! I only use it for home remedies and sore throats.

hehe take a nice double shot of that and tell me how effective you think it is :P i got a bottle in the cabinet and i can barely breath after a shot of that!

Nationality
    [United States]

there are plenty of things that would euthanize a frog that i would not use for cleaning. It may evaporate faster but im not going to give it the chance to evaporate. A bathtub and a drinking cup do perfect for rinsing. I would rinse as well when using alcohol as i would when using bleach. Also bleach is cheaper and more effective, so i see no need to use alcohol. And most alcohol you buy in stores is not pure alcohol. Usually it is +-50%. You can get a better alcohol in walmart "isopropryl" iso for short. It comes in a clear bottle with a red label and its something like 90%. Not sure exactly the percent but i know its pretty strong. Still not as effective as bleach when it comes to cleaning, disinfecting, and sterilizing, but is better than some rubbing alcohol you find in other places. Either will kill your frog, the thing is that bleach is more effective at killing germs. I would take the same precautions when rinsing with both of them but id definitely rather remove more germs so bleach is the best way to go.
    I have 8 frogs now and with my job it becomes much to time consuming to do as much rinsing that would be required with just a cup. I would feel safer using a garden hose. You can only get 100% alcohol for chemistry and the same for higher concentrations of peroxide.

No argument that bleach is great for disinfecting. The Wipe Out does not require rinsing and I've used it since I started. No problems at all. It kills the main pathogens to worry about, but with neither killing all who's to say that the ones that cannot be harmed by either won't strike, but perhaps those few are what the frogs may have a resistance against.

Nationality
    [United States]

hehe take a nice double shot of that and tell me how effective you think it is :P i got a bottle in the cabinet and i can barely breath after a shot of that!
    Yep!! The fumes come back up after the shot goes down Lol!! Powerful stuff.

mrzoggs

For a full cleaning like the OP asked, i wouldnt suggest spraying something and whiping it out. If your going to do a full tank clean i feel itd be easier to rinse with bleach. Since your doing a full cleaning, your already taking everything out of the tank (substrate, plamts, etc) so pouring in a bleach solution and wiping it around then rinsing isnt that much more work.

and i apologize Grif, this is not a personal jab or me trying to be mean. i am just trying to state the facts. There are plus sides to using both but for me, i guess bleach is just the easiest and most effective way. I know from reading your posts, you are very smart and very informative. Im not trying to take a jab at ya :P

Nationality
    [United States]

For a full cleaning like the OP asked, i wouldnt suggest spraying something and whiping it out. If your going to do a full tank clean i feel itd be easier to rinse with bleach. Since your doing a full cleaning, your already taking everything out of the tank (substrate, plamts, etc) so pouring in a bleach solution and wiping it around then rinsing isnt that much more work.

and i apologize Grif, this is not a personal jab or me trying to be mean. i am just trying to state the facts. There are plus sides to using both but for me, i guess bleach is just the easiest and most effective way. I know from reading your posts, you are very smart and very informative. Im not trying to take a jab at ya :P
    No worries. I respect your opinion and do not take offense. The Wipe Out is more for convenience and of course you pay when it comes to convenience. Bleach can also be convenient so its the OP's choice. I really see no problem using either. I just have my preference as do you.

mrzoggs

yeah well now ill definitely pick up a bottle of that stuff too. Is it ok to spot clean tank walls with? Just incase my frogs poop all over the walls and i dont want to change the substrate? I will be adding springtails to my substrate so i dont want to have to change i every few weeks, if i can use Zoo Med to just clean up the sides of the glass a bit, that would be perfect.

trkyhntr

looking at the wipeout bottle now...it contains Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride and then 99.87% inert ingredients
    sounds just as nasty as bleach....both need to be allowed to dry completely before use

Nationality
    [United States]

yeah well now ill definitely pick up a bottle of that stuff too. Is it ok to spot clean tank walls with? Just incase my frogs poop all over the walls and i dont want to change the substrate? I will be adding springtails to my substrate so i dont want to have to change i every few weeks, if i can use Zoo Med to just clean up the sides of the glass a bit, that would be perfect.
    No. It is for actually cleaning and disinfecting the entire enclosure. It sprays out as a heavy mist and the fumes are harmful. It would cover everything in the tank. You would have to remove everything.

mrzoggs

i would suggest rinsing no matter what you use to disenfect your tank (bleach, vinegar, wipeout, etc.) I looked up the .gov website for wipeout. I forget what its called. But it does have harmul stuff in it.

mrzoggs

Think there would be an effective way to clean glass without removing everything? With dart frogs, you build a vivarium. It is impossible to take everything out for cleaning. But im sure the glass would get dirty at some point. I know you can use springtails and isopods for the soil, but will they be able to keep up with whats on the glass?

Nationality
    [United States]

Think there would be an effective way to clean glass without removing everything? With dart frogs, you build a vivarium. It is impossible to take everything out for cleaning. But im sure the glass would get dirty at some point. I know you can use springtails and isopods for the soil, but will they be able to keep up with whats on the glass?
    I'm sure its possible that they can, but the live in the soil of the enclosure because they need 100% humidity to thrive. They just come up to feed on fungi and waste left by the frogs. I'm not sure whether they climb the glass to get at the poop there, but I don't think most dart frogs rest on the glass. They usually find crevices to hide and sleep unlike Red Eyes and Whites.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Old but good thread... does anyone know anything about ammonia or the high powered peroxide to help kill coccidia oocysts? How about using Epsom salts to clean tanks?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information