Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new male fantasy froglet

aquamentus11

Default new male fantasy froglet

Well, I was debating between Megophrys nasuta and a Ceratophrys spp., but I found a nice little green phase fantasy frog and picked him up tonight. He's slightly larger than a quarter and completely green with a speckled chin (I've read that this indicates that he's a male). I found him at Petsmart while buying crickets for my Polypedates dennysii. I've always made it a point to steer clear of Petsmart animals, but he had just arrived and looked so great that I had to save him before it was too late. My girlfriend was not happy, but she'll warm up to him after the first few feedings.
    I've got him in a large, low kritterkeeper that looked perfect for a terrestrial frog. I'm debating between UTH and a CHE that I hang an inch or two above one side of the enclosure. I've heard that they will burrow down and burn themselves on UTH, but I also worry about the CHE drying things out. While I decide, I have the CHE set-up running. I've actually read many things re: temps for these guys. Some say that they need low 80's daytime, while others claim that room temps between 68 and 82 are fine considering that they burrow during the day to stay cool anyway. I just don't feel right keeping a tropical frog without heat (even though my Polypedates seems to prefer temps in the low to high 70's).
    I tried tong feeding and he ate for me without any problems. I gave him .75" of nightcrawler and a .5" dusted cricket and he CRUSHED them. Watching him rage at that worm, I can tell I'm in for some laughs down the road. Frogs are so much more laid back than reptiles: every one I've owned has eaten for me right away. Now, I've got my arboreal and my terrestrial and I'm never going back. Pics to come tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new male fantasy froglet

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus11 View Post
    Well, I was debating between Megophrys nasuta and a Ceratophrys spp., but I found a nice little green phase fantasy frog and picked him up tonight. He's slightly larger than a quarter and completely green with a speckled chin (I've read that this indicates that he's a male). I found him at Petsmart while buying crickets for my Polypedates dennysii. I've always made it a point to steer clear of Petsmart animals, but he had just arrived and looked so great that I had to save him before it was too late. My girlfriend was not happy, but she'll warm up to him after the first few feedings.
    I've got him in a large, low kritterkeeper that looked perfect for a terrestrial frog. I'm debating between UTH and a CHE that I hang an inch or two above one side of the enclosure. I've heard that they will burrow down and burn themselves on UTH, but I also worry about the CHE drying things out. While I decide, I have the CHE set-up running. I've actually read many things re: temps for these guys. Some say that they need low 80's daytime, while others claim that room temps between 68 and 82 are fine considering that they burrow during the day to stay cool anyway. I just don't feel right keeping a tropical frog without heat (even though my Polypedates seems to prefer temps in the low to high 70's).
    I tried tong feeding and he ate for me without any problems. I gave him .75" of nightcrawler and a .5" dusted cricket and he CRUSHED them. Watching him rage at that worm, I can tell I'm in for some laughs down the road. Frogs are so much more laid back than reptiles: every one I've owned has eaten for me right away. Now, I've got my arboreal and my terrestrial and I'm never going back. Pics to come tomorrow.
    Buy a UTH made for Hermit Crab enclosures and place it on the back of the keeper. This will warm the keeper and is safe for plastic because it doesn't get as hot as the larger ones. Spots on the chin is not a good indicater for determining sex. Nuptial pads when the reach sexual maturity at 8 months to a year, or calling(croaking) indicate male. Females don't call and are mostly completely quiet, but can make sounds.

Pacman Frogs need day temps 80° to 82° and night temps 75° to 79°, but hover around 78°. Humidity needs to be 80%.

aquamentus11

I was considering "Cromwell" as a name, but may have to reconsider if he turns into a she. do you mean one of the 10-20gal ones or the smaller size? i've never been able to reach the proper temps using a side-mounted pad. the keeper is roughly 18"x12x7, so the 10-20gal pad is a little too large, but i'll try the smaller size and just crank it up all the way.

aquamentus11

thanks for the info on that pad. i just looked it up and the smallest size (8"x8) is sadly still a little large for the side of the keeper (only 7" tall), but a little dangling off won't hurt anything. i just ordered it and it should arrive friday. any more helpful tips?

Nationality
    [United States]

I was considering "Cromwell" as a name, but may have to reconsider if he turns into a she. do you mean one of the 10-20gal ones or the smaller size? i've never been able to reach the proper temps using a side-mounted pad. the keeper is roughly 18"x12x7, so the 10-20gal pad is a little too large, but i'll try the smaller size and just crank it up all the way.
    Are talking about an actual glass tank?? If this froglet is quarter sized it needs to be in a small enclosure. Medium to large critter keeper due to them needing a lot of food an nutrition at baby and juvenile stages. The smaller the enclosure the easier it is for them to catch their food. Nothing larger than a 5 gallon at this point. They need small enclosures at young ages. To large of open space can overwhelm them causing stress.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks for the info on that pad. i just looked it up and the smallest size (8"x8) is sadly still a little large for the side of the keeper (only 7" tall), but a little dangling off won't hurt anything. i just ordered it and it should arrive friday. any more helpful tips?
    Zoo Med makes small UTH 4"x 5" item #RH-7

aquamentus11

nope we're talking a plastic kritter keeper, but it does have a floor area of 17x12. i have a smaller one that's probably about 6x12 that i keep crickets in now, but had thought that would be too small for a growing gentleman. i think some pictures will help illustrate:

towel to hold moisture that i worry the CHE will get rid of. it's working so far: 80% at 80F

didn't want to dig him out: it's been a big day and i'd like to show this all to you without stressing him too much.

Wizzlewuzzle

Aw, your little guy is really cute. Definitely trust Grif's advice; he is insanely knowledgeable about these frogs!

aquamentus11

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Zoo Med makes small UTH 4"x 5" item #RH-7
    gotcha, i have one. i'll set up the small keeper tomorrow after work when i can wash it out and set it up. i have a very tiny keeper too, probably 8x4" and a small circular keeper, but i doubt a water dish would fit in either.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

should probably take that poop out. WHat kind of bedding is that?

Namio

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    should probably take that poop out. WHat kind of bedding is that?
    Yea I agree with Ra, the bedding looks unsafe if ingested by the froglet. I would highly recommend changing the current substrate to EcoEarth or something similar to it, especially you're using fake plant in the cage. EcoEarth is cheap and readily available at most pet stores. Congrats on the good-looking frog!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Namio View Post
    Yea I agree with Ra, the bedding looks unsafe if ingested by the froglet. I would highly recommend changing the current substrate to EcoEarth or something similar to it, especially you're using fake plant in the cage. EcoEarth is cheap and readily available at most pet stores. Congrats on the good-looking frog!
    I'd still like to know what kind of bedding that is, it looks nice and it would work well for a mixed species terrarium I'd like to design.

aquamentus11

I'd still like to know what kind of bedding that is, it looks nice and it would work well for a mixed species terrarium I'd like to design.
    thanks, he is a very good-looking young man. i actually cleaned out the poop right after i posted that pic lol. i did a double take because it was so big. it's "Organic Choice potting mix" by Miracle Gro. It's just composted sphagnum, bark and Pasteurized poultry litter (apparently I was wrong and there is a fertilizer). Poultry litter is just straw or wood shavings mixed with poop. It sounds gross, but I've kept animals in it many times before and they do well. It replicates a forest floor well. I don't think he'll get impacted from ingesting a little dirt, but I could be wrong. I've used eco earth in the past too, so i have no prob switching if it's recommended.

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks, he is a very good-looking young man. i actually cleaned out the poop right after i posted that pic lol. i did a double take because it was so big. it's "Organic Choice potting mix" by Miracle Gro. It's just composted sphagnum, bark and Pasteurized poultry litter (apparently I was wrong and there is a fertilizer). Poultry litter is just straw or wood shavings mixed with poop. It sounds gross, but I've kept animals in it many times before and they do well. It replicates a forest floor well. I don't think he'll get impacted from ingesting a little dirt, but I could be wrong. I've used eco earth in the past too, so i have no prob switching if it's recommended.
    Change that substrate immediately!!!!

If you leave your frog on that it will become sick and possibly die. Use Eco Earth Coconut Fiber(not husk). I also see some debris that you frog could accidentally ingest and become impacted(severe constipation) and die.

Frogs absorb moisture through their skin and if any traces of fertilizer are within the soil it will cause your frog to Tox Out. Organic soil can be used as long as their are no chemical fertilizers, but I NEVER trust Miracle Grow.

aquamentus11

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Change that substrate immediately!!!!

If you leave your frog on that it will become sick and possibly die. Use Eco Earth Coconut Fiber(not husk). I also see some debris that you frog could accidentally ingest and become impacted(severe constipation) and die.

Frogs absorb moisture through their skin and if any traces of fertilizer are within the soil it will cause your frog to Tox Out. Organic soil can be used as long as their are no chemical fertilizers, but I NEVER trust Miracle Grow.
    uh oh, it'll be changed ASAP. despite all appearances, i actually keep tree frogs and geckos, so i'm very familiar with amphibians....just not terrestrial, sedentary ones, so i appreciate all the help. i do keep my tree frogs on paper towel though when they're as young as this pacman is, so i guess that was just a bonehead move on my part.
    also, turns out that the keeper i just bought came with a divider, which is nice, so i can just adjust the size as he grows.
    quick question about feeding earthworms: the site's care sheet says that they're almost a complete source of nutrition for frogs. i assume that they lack sufficient Ca2+ levels. should i dust them? i plan to feed crickets too, and always dust them, but i'm curious about the worms.

Nationality
    [United States]

uh oh, it'll be changed ASAP. despite all appearances, i actually keep tree frogs and geckos, so i'm very familiar with amphibians....just not terrestrial, sedentary ones, so i appreciate all the help. i do keep my tree frogs on paper towel though when they're as young as this pacman is, so i guess that was just a bonehead move on my part.
    also, turns out that the keeper i just bought came with a divider, which is nice, so i can just adjust the size as he grows.
    quick question about feeding earthworms: the site's care sheet says that they're almost a complete source of nutrition for frogs. i assume that they lack sufficient Ca2+ levels. should i dust them? i plan to feed crickets too, and always dust them, but i'm curious about the worms.
    Yes they are an excellent source of nutrition for frogs. You should still dust them every other feeding though because they still need extra calcium. Be sure to use a multivitamin once a week like Herptivite.

aquamentus11

i just read your post on dusting worms in another thread, too. i like the idea of keeping him/her in soil more than the eco earth and had planned to try some pothos clippings; this won't be a problem as long as i find one without fertilizer?

Nationality
    [United States]

i just read your post on dusting worms in another thread, too. i like the idea of keeping him/her in soil more than the eco earth and had planned to try some pothos clippings; this won't be a problem as long as i find one without fertilizer?
    Pathos will grow very well in Coconut Fiber.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Pothos, as its called, will grow in sphagnum moss as it turns out so using eco earth is fine. I would have once suggested using an organic topsoil product as its cheap, but as it turns out, it can harbor nematodes.
    I hope you realize you are going to have to change the soil every two weeks or so to prevent bacteria build up, but eco earth makes it easy to uproot the plant and clean the roots off.

Horned Frogs eat probably 90% vertebrate prey in the wild, so they need alot of calcium in their diet. Now that doesnt mean to over do it with the dusting, but I would suggest whole fish (not goldfish or other feeder fish that come from a fish hatchery) and the occasional mouse (for a full grown frog). There is also a great dry powder product called samurai pacman food which is fish meal based, and it also has lots of vitamins and is "nutritionally complete" though i would offer other stuff too.
    Feeding just crickets, or just nightcrawlers, even with a supplement will still probably lead to a deficiency so a variety is always better. The nice thing about pacman frogs is they respond well to tong feeding, so foods like can-o-cricket and pacman food are convenient and nutritious choices.

aquamentus11

Pothos, as its called, will grow in sphagnum moss as it turns out so using eco earth is fine. I would have once suggested using an organic topsoil product as its cheap, but as it turns out, it can harbor nematodes.
    I hope you realize you are going to have to change the soil every two weeks or so to prevent bacteria build up, but eco earth makes it easy to uproot the plant and clean the roots off.

Horned Frogs eat probably 90% vertebrate prey in the wild, so they need alot of calcium in their diet. Now that doesnt mean to over do it with the dusting, but I would suggest whole fish (not goldfish or other feeder fish that come from a fish hatchery) and the occasional mouse (for a full grown frog). There is also a great dry powder product called samurai pacman food which is fish meal based, and it also has lots of vitamins and is "nutritionally complete" though i would offer other stuff too.
    Feeding just crickets, or just nightcrawlers, even with a supplement will still probably lead to a deficiency so a variety is always better. The nice thing about pacman frogs is they respond well to tong feeding, so foods like can-o-cricket and pacman food are convenient and nutritious choices.
    thank you for that info. i was definitely planning to provide mainly worms and crickets. what benefit do the canned crickets have over live ones? the pacman food looks cool.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information