Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: new male fantasy froglet

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: new male fantasy froglet

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus11 View Post
    i keep one end of the viv in the low 80's and the cooler side stays around 75. i keep reading and being told that these guys (esp. juvies) like the low 80's, but my little dude stays on the cool side at all times. granted, the water dish is on the warm side (i read that they like this), but he's not even close to the warm side. ever. he has fake vines for security, humidity is always between 75 and 80%: my set-up runs like a dream. think he just prefers the cooler temps or maybe i should put the water on the cool side?
    That's absolutely fine. As long as the ambient air temp is 80° then all is well. They switch back and forth between warm and. cool sides, but do have their favorite spots in which they like to burrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

aquamentus11

what sets apart a caatinga from the rest? in looking at some of the pics on here, i can't tell them apart from my little guy....horns are the same, patterning and coloration are the same, etc.

lovenokia

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    the benefit froe can-o-crickets over live crickets is that the can o crickets are in a can, whereas live crickets are alive, which isnt very convenient and crickets are gross, stinky insects. Another plus is that the canned ones (provided you got a high quality one like zoo med or something similar) are gutloaded with highly nutritious stuff right before they are canned, which is also very convenient. Live crickets are just inconvenient, but if you already raise them or keep large quantities and gut load them right, by all means use them, just dont forget to feed some fish fish and mice every now and then.
    I swear by fish/pacman food and nightcrawlers when it comes to getting a baby frog up to size. I got three pacs and a fantasy frog from just under quarter sized to over two inches in a month, and a Budgetts Frog from the size of a silver dollar to over three and a half inches in a month on that diet.
    Are you saying that a pacman frog that I feed mainly crickets being dusted every other day and herptivite once a week won't grow as fast as a pacman frog being feed nightcrawlers and pacman food?

lovenokia

[Qhave=aquamentus11;127688]yep, it's 4W. i take it most of you are keeping yours in glass terrariums? i may just suck it up and switch to glass...[/QUOTE]

I have the same setup as you with my pacman which is the same size like yours.

aquamentus11

yeah the che works really well: i'm getting a range of 75-85, while still maintaining humidity

Namio

what sets apart a caatinga from the rest? in looking at some of the pics on here, i can't tell them apart from my little guy....horns are the same, patterning and coloration are the same, etc.
    From what I have seen (pics) is that Caatingas can be predominantly apple green and lack of patterns:

Although at times you'll see green with shades of reddish brown to dark brown(see below)

Also, if you pay extra attention to the horns above their eyes, they probably has one of the "pointiest" projections next to Cornuta although not nearly as long. Additionally, the pupils look quite different from Cranwelli, Ornata, or fantasy.

Look at those horns and eyes, aren't they beautiful?

Another character that I heard is that Mikesfrog, who breeds these guys, also stated that they are the most hyper & active species in the genus of Ceratophrys. Perhaps due to the fact that they're smaller (usually 4~4.5 inch SVL).

I have never seen one in my life and these pics and info are all from internet, so I could be wrong on some of the stuff. Anyone feel free to correct me.

aquamentus11

ah yes that's the exact site i was looking at. my guy looks exactly like the one on the left in the first pic. i didn't notice the eyes though. they are awesome.

Nationality
    [United States]

ah yes that's the exact site i was looking at. my guy looks exactly like the one on the left in the first pic. i didn't notice the eyes though. they are awesome.
    A Fantasy should look nothing like a Caatinga. They are completely different species and do not look like Cranwelli or Cornuta which is what your frog is produced by. I have two young Juvenile Caatingas and they do not resemble any of the other species other than having the horns above the eyes. Now if you were to have a Green Apple Pacman which is a cross between a Cranwelli and a Caatinga then it would resemble one of these frogs and not a Cornuta.skull structure is slightly different between Cranwelli and Caatinga and completely different from Cornuta. Color wise it is possible for your frog to be similar, but not in build and bone structure.

aquamentus11

i noticed a slightly more sloped profile in the caatinga and maybe their head:body is a bit greater, but was unsure if those were just juveniles

Nationality
    [United States]

i noticed a slightly more sloped profile in the caatinga and maybe their head:body is a bit greater, but was unsure if those were just juveniles
    I can see where you see similarities as each species does have some to with the others, but if you see them in person you can really tell the difference.

aquamentus11

cool, i'd like to see one. i never knew how interesting these frogs were. i'd seen them around for so long that i dismissed them for years. glad i looked into them

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information