Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new male fantasy froglet

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: new male fantasy froglet

I think using a red bulb heat lamp is just more reliable, once you turn it on, you know its working.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I think using a red bulb heat lamp is just more reliable, once you turn it on, you know its working.
    The only thing I don't like about heat bulbs is that usually they only last about a year then blow and you have to replace them. I will periodically buy replacements before the other burn out. I've never really had any trouble out of a UTH. I've heard other people have issues with them not working when they get them and apply the UTH to the enclosure. I never buy a UTH from Amazon because they need to be brand new. Once applied they're never to be removed from the tank until they no longer work. UTH are made up of very small wiring and a slight bend can damage them and cause risk of fire. Once applied on the enclosure you want it on don't reuse it if you ever remove it. Throw it away and ALWAYS buy new when it comes to a UTH.

CHE like you have work well too, but I prefer to combine both UTH fir a warm side and a heat bulb for ambient air warmth. I also prefer the use of a lamp that has a dimmer switch so I can adjust the bulbs output for fine tuning. Works perfectly.

aquamentus11

it was brand new. it just sucks lol. i got one of the 8x8's and it may have gotten slightly warm, but nothing that would be suitable for the temps these guys need.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus11 View Post
    it was brand new. it just sucks lol. i got one of the 8x8's and it may have gotten slightly warm, but nothing that would be suitable for the temps these guys need.
    Sometimes you can't just rely on the UTH to provide all the temp needs for their enclosures. That's why I use light in combination with UTH. When I open the enclosures it feel like I opened a door to a sauna, but I also have Hygrotherm units that control the humidity levels and my lights are on a timer.

aquamentus11

the hygrotherms sound interesting. how do they work?

Nationality
    [United States]

the hygrotherms sound interesting. how do they work?
    They have an open sensor that goes inside the enclosure and measures the amount of heat and humidity within. It will turn heat and humidity units on and off to meet the climate according to levels you set. It even has the ability to allow some leeway with both. Meaning that you can set it to allow so many degrees or units of humidity it can drop or go over your set temp/humidity level before it will turn on or off the devices you have in place for heat and humidity. So it will operate foggers like I have for humidity and UTH or heat lamps for heat. You can also use misting units or cooling units to keep the temp in check, but it will just shut heating units off when the desired temp is reached. It also has a photo sensor to switch to day and night time climate levels that you also set.

I have 3 of them right now, but when I move a frog into a large permanent tank I buy a Hygrotherm to control the climate within.

aquamentus11

very cool. i got rid of my fogger sadly. i may have to reinvest in one down the road, but the CHE and twice a day misting is working really well right now.

Nationality
    [United States]

very cool. i got rid of my fogger sadly. i may have to reinvest in one down the road, but the CHE and twice a day misting is working really well right now.
    Some enclosures hold heat and humidity better than others. Sometimes you get lucky.

aquamentus11

looks like it. the little guy just jumped 4-5" and snagged a cricket on the fly. i never expected that from this species. i assume they slow down as they mature.

Nationality
    [United States]

looks like it. the little guy just jumped 4-5" and snagged a cricket on the fly. i never expected that from this species. i assume they slow down as they mature.
    Some slow way down as the mature and some seem to stay just as voracious.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    The only thing I don't like about heat bulbs is that usually they only last about a year then blow and you have to replace them. I will periodically buy replacements before the other burn out. I've never really had any trouble out of a UTH. I've heard other people have issues with them not working when they get them and apply the UTH to the enclosure. I never buy a UTH from Amazon because they need to be brand new. Once applied they're never to be removed from the tank until they no longer work. UTH are made up of very small wiring and a slight bend can damage them and cause risk of fire. Once applied on the enclosure you want it on don't reuse it if you ever remove it. Throw it away and ALWAYS buy new when it comes to a UTH.

CHE like you have work well too, but I prefer to combine both UTH fir a warm side and a heat bulb for ambient air warmth. I also prefer the use of a lamp that has a dimmer switch so I can adjust the bulbs output for fine tuning. Works perfectly.
    I just use red colored 40 or 25 watt bulbs that you can get at the hardware store or Ace. They don't cost nearly as much as a specialty reptile bulb and they do the job just the same.

aquamentus11

hmm i'm tempted but i keep reading that frogs can see red light. not true?

Nationality
    [United States]

hmm i'm tempted but i keep reading that frogs can see red light. not true?
    Frogs see in color yes and they can see red light, ,BUT its not the same as daylight or basking spotlights. It doesn't affect their day night cycle at all just like moonlight blue night viewing bulbs do not.This is another reason to use a lamp that has a dimmer switch so you can adjust the brightness if the bulb and heat. Trust me all my setups are done this way. Spotlight basking bulbs for day dialed down low because they have a concentrated beam of light that will warm the ambient air in the enclosure without being turned up high and infrared heat bulbs at night also dialed down. As long as you keep up the humidity the enclosure won't dry much. Hygrotherm helps greatly.

aquamentus11

i haven't seen any lamps with dimmers on them at pet stores, etc. where do you get yours?

Nationality
    [United States]

i haven't seen any lamps with dimmers on them at pet stores, etc. where do you get yours?
    Petsmart. Look for Fluker's 5.5" or 8.5" Clamp Lamp with Dimmer.

aquamentus11

ok they only have petco here, but i've seen the clamp lamps. i'll probably wait on it since i don't have enough lid room atm and my set up now is working very well, but i'm writing these things down lol. you guys are a lot of help. much better for rookies than the gecko sites were when i first began...

Nationality
    [United States]

ok they only have petco here, but i've seen the clamp lamps. i'll probably wait on it since i don't have enough lid room atm and my set up now is working very well, but i'm writing these things down lol. you guys are a lot of help. much better for rookies than the gecko sites were when i first began...
    It all depends on the people you're getting your info from. Almost everyone here will help if they can and there are several experienced and very knowledgeable keepers and a few breeders as well. We do what we can to help and answer any questions.

aquamentus11

what're your feelings on feeding red wigglers to tree and pacman frogs? garter snakes can't eat them, but can frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

what're your feelings on feeding red wigglers to tree and pacman frogs? garter snakes can't eat them, but can frogs?
    Yeah Red Wigglers can be Fed to Pacs and tree frogs. Offer the real little ones to babies so you don't have to cut them. When hurt or threatened Red Wigglers release a noxious secretion that both tastes and smells bad.

aquamentus11

i keep one end of the viv in the low 80's and the cooler side stays around 75. i keep reading and being told that these guys (esp. juvies) like the low 80's, but my little dude stays on the cool side at all times. granted, the water dish is on the warm side (i read that they like this), but he's not even close to the warm side. ever. he has fake vines for security, humidity is always between 75 and 80%: my set-up runs like a dream. think he just prefers the cooler temps or maybe i should put the water on the cool side?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information