Thread: Gray tree froglet feeding

Pactolus

Default Gray tree froglet feeding

Hey all. I have a tiny Gray treefrog that morphed a few days ago, and I do not have access to fruit flies. How would I get him to eat pinhead crickets? He snapped at one last night but didn't swallow it and I don't want him to starve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Gray tree froglet feeding

Just make sure to have some form of cricket food in his terrarium, and you can have lots of crickets in there at once. He has just started turning from herbivore to carnivore, so it might take him a couple more days to get the hang of it. But with enough in there he should start finding the and gobbling them up. How big is he? Do the pinheads easily fit into his mouth? I live in CA, and I had the same problem with my PCFs. They were the size of a pencil earaser when they first morphed. But when they are young, man do they eat a lot! Good luck with your little guy!

Pactolus

I have had trouble finding extremely tiny ones, but there are several in his enclosure right now that I'm pretty sure he could swallow. He completely lost his tail nub a couple days ago.

You could try moving him into another container, but it may be hard because he is so small. Post pics of him.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKatMe View Post
    you can have lots of crickets in there at once.
    I disagree with that statement. Any time you have a large number of crickets with an animal that cannot properly defend itself you risk the crickets attacking, killing, and eating your pet frog. I would only keep a few crickets in there at any given time. You don't want them to gang up on your newly morphed froglet!

Can you get spingtails? You could keep as many of those in the enclosure with your frog as you want without worry. They would be a more appropriate size, also.

Pactolus

I'll try to get pics. Still no luck on eating. If I ordered flightless fruitflies online, and they didn't arrive until Saturday or Monday, would he be okay until then? I'll keep the few tiny crickets in his enclosure.

Whoa, I only meant five or six crickets.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by Pactolus View Post
    I'll try to get pics. Still no luck on eating. If I ordered flightless fruitflies online, and they didn't arrive until Saturday or Monday, would he be okay until then? I'll keep the few tiny crickets in his enclosure.
    I don't know the be honest. That's a fair amount of time for such a tiny thing to go without food. See if you can catch some regular fruit flies in your house or outside for him in the mean time. Go in your back yard and see if you can catch any tiny insects in your lawn (do not do this if you use pesticides or fertilizes in on your grass)

Pactolus

OMG guys. It's 1 AM now, I just woke up and checked on the froglet and noticed a tiny bit of poop on the wall of his enclosure so that means he was eating. Then right after I put some more tiny crickets in, he pounced on one and swallowed it. It was quite a mouthful for him, but I'm do relieved he's able to eat the small crickets now until the fruit flies get here.

Thread Information