Thread: how to get jewl to trust me??

Default how to get jewl to trust me??

so I had a question...ik ive been told that with red eyes ur supposed to leave them alone, but i wud like to be able to hold Jewl....so does anyone know how i can get her to trust me??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Chaser

Default Re: how to get jewl to trust me??

It doesn't really work like that, I don't don't think your frog will trust you. Period.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Chase is right.
    Handle , only if absolutely necessary.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

mrzoggs

first, frogs dont drink through their mouths, they drink through their skin. that being said, human hands are DIRTY and you wouldnt want someone shoving their fingers in your mouth hehe. Also, i think a human is a little more hardy when it comes to germs than frogs. So if you absolutely need to pick your frog up, please wear gloves or at least wash your hands before and after.

second, red eyed tree frogs are not to be played with. they are honestly not supposed to be held or disturbed. If you wanted something to play with, you shoulda got a dog lol. They are pretty much boring globs of green on the side of glass most of the day then wake up at night to eat, soak, call, etc. that is the most enjoyment you will get out of your frog.

Frogs are easily stressed out. I am a firm believer that stress can kill a red eye. also stress can do a lot more things. Say your frog were to have parasites, stressing it out can cause an outbreak of those even after you get the frog back healthy.

Nationality
    [United States]

They learn to trust you by keeping things routine for them. They'll learn when feeding time is if you keep it at the same time and they'll learn to tolerate you looking at them without jumping away. That in itself makes it fun. If you touch or hold them too often you can get them sick or stress them out, or both. Then all trust is lost and you are seen as a big scary monster reaching for them. I talk to mine when I put their food in if they're awake. They seem to eventually recognize you and your voice as the feeder .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Kristen

Frogs are more of a look but don't touch kinda animal

ok i thought so. was really just curious if it was possible. was funny tho last night when i went to feed her she was sitting n the edge of her bowl. well i tried to get the crickets into her bowl without having to make her move. she finally decided to jump off and landed right on my chest lol i just let her sit there while i put the crickets in her bowl. then she jumped back into her tank. so didn't mess with her or nutin just let her jump where she wanted.
    lol ik to wash my hands ik how fragile they are. i wouldn't wanna make my babe sick love her to much. dont wanna lose for sumin i may have caused...that wud kill me... ok thanx guys.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you do have to pick her up let her step up onto your hand rather than scooping her up. It's less stressful for them. I had to handfeed my rescues for a while and after a few times they wouldn't even startle, they'd just step up when I'd place my hand down in front of them. If I have to actually pick them up I spray a small piece of paper towel and gently lift them with it so I don't hurt their delicate skin.

They do get used to you. Lucky, my male rescue, is starting to come to the front of the tank at dinner time. Right up close to me. It's really cute. But still I just let him sit there and do their chores and then put their crickets in.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

haha id hv issues hand feeding i dont like to touch the crickets...yuck! lol Jewl get curious at times and just watch me while im in my room its pretty cute.

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha! I used to be like that too . Now I can pull the legs off for them, and when I feed them I pull off the head and legs. It's kinda gross though.

I purchased dubia roaches this year, mostly for my pacman frogs. Now that was something I had to get used to. They kinda freaked me out at first. I could only pick them up with the tongs. Eugh! Lol! Now I can reach in and pick which ones I'd like for them.

Omg thats soo gross!! lol i can handle stuff like open heart surgery or crash site pics stuff like that but bugs especially roaches...yuck!! lol

Nationality
    [United States]

I may or may not have been heather's influence to get roaches... :P
    Lol! I love mine though, they really are THE perfect feeder, hands down!

mrzoggs

i should have some roaches here tomorrow thought they were coming today but they didnt arrive. super excited

aquamentus11

another word of advice: don't try to shape her behavior. even though we all say that they eventually learn to recognize you and come out to be fed, etc., just roll with however she chooses to interact with you. i find that the spontaneous little quirks in personality that each one starts to share with you are much more endearing than having a frog sit on your hand. my little blue chinese glider comes to the same corner of his tank every night when the lights go out and just sits and waits. he doesn't even look at me, but i know he's waiting for me to drop crickets. in the morning when i come in to mist before heading out, he climbs the tank as soon as he sees me and stares until i turn on the UVB that he sleeps under. in my experience, frogs tend to settle in much more readily than reptiles and i wouldn't be surprised if yours started responding to you very quickly.

Nationality
    [United States]

You're gunna love them
    Give the colony some time to really establish itself before heavily feeding out of it, and keep them warm, 90 throughout, 95 in the hot spot for optimum breeding

Quote Originally Posted by aquamentus11 View Post
    another word of advice: don't try to shape her behavior. even though we all say that they eventually learn to recognize you and come out to be fed, etc., just roll with however she chooses to interact with you. i find that the spontaneous little quirks in personality that each one starts to share with you are much more endearing than having a frog sit on your hand. my little blue chinese glider comes to the same corner of his tank every night when the lights go out and just sits and waits. he doesn't even look at me, but i know he's waiting for me to drop crickets. in the morning when i come in to mist before heading out, he climbs the tank as soon as he sees me and stares until i turn on the UVB that he sleeps under. in my experience, frogs tend to settle in much more readily than reptiles and i wouldn't be surprised if yours started responding to you very quickly.
    i agree not gunna force her to do anything. kinda take those moments when she happens to jump on me as a special moment. shes my baby i love her. she loves to sit in her water dish and stare at me waiting. its so funny and cute.
    lol ya...not a fan of roaches...and my parents will not allow me to use them anyways lol

Nationality
    [United States]

It took quite a bit of convincing with mine, but I let them clean out the cricket bin once when it was bad and after losing half the crickets in the house and that horrid smell, they caved

Nationality
    [United States]

Haha! I have to agree...crickets vs. roaches....though roaches may seem more disgusting than the crickets, they really aren't. They don't bite, don't stink, rarely ever die and when they do they don't stink like the dead crickets. Definitely easier to care for too.

ya... might do that when im in my own place mine are pretty set on no roaches. lol

Thread Information