Thread: Frog in a Bucket - OK or Not?

KeeperOfKroll

Default Frog in a Bucket - OK or Not?

Hi. I've got a frog that's taken up residence in a bucket of water outside my back door. I'm pretty sure he's just a "common or garden frog" (UK).

He appeared about a month ago, and sits pretty much all day long with his head just out of the water. The bucket has lots of plants sitting in it that Mrs KeeperOfKroll was going to plant in the garden, so he has plenty of shade. The water reaches about half an inch from the lip of the bucket, and the foliage goes up over the edge, so it looks pretty easily climbable.

There are several plant pots around the bucket that form a route that he could feasibly use to climb in/out of the bucket, but I'm not sure whether he goes out hunting at nights. He seems to stay in the bucket during the day at least.

I did lift him out of the bucket after a few days, and put him in some foliage in plant pot next to the bucket, but when I looked a couple of hours later, he was back in the bucket.

The question is, is he OK in there? Is he likely to be going out hunting at night and coming back to his "adopted pond" during the day? Should I take him out again?

(BTW, he's been named Kroll, because he appeared during an episode of Dr Who: "The Power of Kroll", about a swamp creature that rises from the depths when summoned...)
    Last edited by KeeperOfKroll; July 27th, 2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Paragraphs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Frog in a Bucket - OK or Not?

It might not be leaving the bucket to hunt at all if enough bugs wander close enough for it to grab. But as long as you're sure it can get out on its own if it needs to, I'd just leave it be.

It might be telling you that you need a larger, permanent pond in your yard though.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeperOfKroll View Post
    (BTW, he's been named Kroll, because he appeared during an episode of Dr Who: "The Power of Kroll", about a swamp creature that rises from the depths when summoned...)
    Nice. Extra bonus points if you paint yourselves green like swampies and bow down before the bucket.

Thread Information