Thread: Success! New owner of a Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

CaliValiN8v

Default Success! New owner of a Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

I've always loved frogs and toads and have had an American toad for 7 years. He (Mr. Toad) is very healthy and easy to care for. About 2- weeks ago I found a "Waxy Monkey Tree Frog" at a local pet store. I don't think I'd heard of the frog before. When I saw the frog I immediately fell for it. However, I'm not an impulse shopper. So, I went home and researched the frog for 7 days. I then went back to the pet store and bought the frog.

The day I brought her home, I named her... "Stella". From what I know, she is 3-months old and was captive born here in Seattle.

I've had her for a week and she's doing perfectly well! She's settled in and seems comfortable in her surroundings.

What I learned BEFORE I bought her: Waxy's are NOTHING like toads in that they need heat and relatively dry surroundings.

Here's what I have for her new home:

1) 20 Gallon mesh top tank.

2) 2 different lights. One UVB for day and One Red heat lamp for night. I switch them out every day. At night I use the red heat lamp and for day tye UVB. I keep it between 80 & 90 degrees and she seems happy with that.

3) 1 new, plain, white, microfiber face cloth as the sub terrate. It is free of chemicals and soaps and has been rinsed in fresh, dechlorinated water. It covers the heat pad that lays at the bottom of the enclosure.

4) A rose wood branch in the shape of a "Y" for her to climb.

5) Two small 1" water dishes

She finds her own way to her water dishes and soaks in them willingly.

I've also sprinkled water over the wash cloth and it creates a perfect surface for her. I did try paper towels at first but she kept catching crickets AND paper towel in her mouth when she ate.

For feeding I feed her 3 crickets a day in the evening. I have also dusted 3 crickets with Rep-Cal w/ D3 and Herpivite twice already. I plan to follow guidelines of every 3 days and 10 days. I have it written down on the vitamin jars.

Handling I keep to a minimum and only if completely necessary and ONLY while wearing gloves.

She turns a reddish brown in the evening which freaked me out at first but since she does it regularly I realize its a camoflage mechinism to help her blend in her surroundings at night.

That's it so far. I'm not sure how to upload pix from my iPad but I do have pix of her on my profile. I'll share more pix if I can do it from my iPhone.

Thanks for reading!

Terry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Success! New owner of a Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

Cali, how is Stella doing? I saw her photo in the monthly photo contest. She's cute .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Success! New owner of a Waxy Monkey Tree Frog

Congratulations! Wont be long till you'll want a few more to go with her... or to upgrade to a relative P. bicolor.

Thread Information