Hi everyone,

I've come to this forum out of desperation to help my America toad.

It all started with a slight loss of balance when hopping, but since nothing else developed for a while I thought it was just my imagination. Then very rapidly she started having trouble holding her body up (she kind of crawls around on her stomach) and her head seems to be stuck pointing down. She's still interested in crickets, but doesn't seem to be able to coordinate her tongue to catch them. She can still open her mouth and move her tongue so I know it's not a problem with that, but when I give her a cricket (I usually hand feed her anyway) she just moves her head as if trying to extend her tongue, but fails.

Name:  DSCN1910.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  104.1 KBName:  DSCN1908.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  74.2 KB

I've had her for two years now and keep her in a large 120 gallon aquarium with live plants and a great plains toad. She's fed crickets fed carrots and oranges, and large night crawlers as a treat. I've been using the repti-cal calcium with vitamin D powder. My other toad, a large female great plains toad of unknown (but definitely adult) age has none of these problems. Actually I've had to move the American toad to another aquarium for now, as the great plains toad kept eating all the crickets I was trying to give to the American toad!

Please, any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. All the small animal vets in my area who I've taken reptiles to in the past apparently have no clue what to do with amphibians.