Thread: Frog buried in moss

bmlbytes

Default Frog buried in moss

I got my map treefrog yesterday. This is the first land frog I have owned. This morning I thought it had escaped, but after searching the vivarium, I found him buried in the moss.

I was wondering, is it normal for it to bury itself in the moss? I think it must do that to keep moist. If that is true, I must think that the frog thinks the air is too dry (which it is in a Minnesota winter). The tank is about 60% humidity at the top and 80% humidity at the bottom.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Frog buried in moss

Does the frog have a few places to hide in? Lots of foliage will help in this respect. Also mist once a day, preferably at night.

bmlbytes

Hes got some foliage. I had trouble finding live plants that would fit the biotope, so I grew them from seed. They are still small plants so they may not be very good hiding plants.

I have been misting him once a day with reverse osmosis water (I have it for certain fish I keep). He seems to like it. I also got a digital hygrometer and thermometer. With the heater on always the temperature has been between 75F at night and 80F during the day. The humidity is between 73% and 99%.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You want nice big leafed plants that will do well in a semi-tropical environment -there are some nice large-leafed Aroids available (check out dendroboard.com and its vendors for example).

I use distilled water to mist (not for water bowls though - you don't want the frog to sit in R/O or distilled water).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

You can also use artificial plants.

bmlbytes

Cool thanks for your help guys. Although your help has led to another question

Since my vivarium is a biotope, all the plants and animals have to be found together in nature. Any suggestion on plants found in the tropical rainforests of northern South America?

I may pick up some plastic plants, but they will be short term as I want to keep everything in the tank live.

Also I see a bunch of terrarium plants at PetCo, but they dont have them labeled. They just say either "Tropical Plant" or "Desert Plant". Any idea how to identify them? Maybe I should visit a plant nursery...

Kurt

You're welcome. Sorry can't help you with plants.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Identifying plants is really an experience thing, unless you have some kind of magic book that identifies all tropical species. I'm not very good at it - the best I can do is narrow down to the family ("that's a begonia", "that's an Aroid", "that's a fern", "that could be an orchid"). If you really want to do this right, I suggest you contact Black Jungle (www.blackjungle.com). They're good guys and one of the owners, Richard Revis, is a real tropical plant expert. Tell him what you're trying to do and I am sure he can help you out - he also sells a fantastic range of named tropical plants - both Kurt and I buy plants from him.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not all too great with plant species either, but I found this:

Plants of South America

It's not specifically northern, but you could poke around and get to know some of the species you like, and see if (a) they're available, and (b) they'll fit the dimensions of your tank.

Some of the hiding could simply be adjusting to a new home. I usually try to up the humidity, though, when I see a tree frog burrow into moss. Was there any difference after you got the humidity above 60?

bmlbytes

I actually dont think it has been that low, just a bad hygrometer. I got a digital one that works better and it hasn't been under 75% at all.

How exactly do I "up" the humidity?

Oh and thanks for all the suggestions regarding plants everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]

Raising the humidity might depend on your set-up. In terms of decor, soil and live plants retain and release water. You've already got that going, so the two other ways to raise humidity are (1) more frequent mistings and/or (2) covering part of the lid with plastic/plexiglass or something that doesn't breathe too well to keep more of the moisture inside the tank. If you've already got ~75%, you probably don't need to raise the humidity further, though.

Thread Information