Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Frog Forums and have a Q for you?

Johnny84

Cool New to the Frog Forums and have a Q for you?

Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum and have had reptiles for sometime now...we breed ball pythons and panther chameleons, in the near future we will hopefully be breeding some awesome looking Red Tail Boas...

We have a young Albino PacMan Frog....the question I have what feeding schedule and what types of different feeders do you feed...Also what size shoukd the frog be to offer a pinky mouse or pinky rat?

Thanks everyone and hopefully to make some good friends here!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KINGblackPHINEX

Default Re: New to the Frog Forums and have a Q for you?

juvenile or adult? how big?

Johnny84

Juvenile...its about as big or a little bigger than a silver dollar

Johnny84

Here is a few pics of the lil guy!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

KINGblackPHINEX

well i would wait until its fully grown tbh to feed it mice or pinkies thats just me and you can feed it occasionally meal worms, fish, shrimp,earth worms, silk worms, dubia roaches, butter worms,crickets but if you feed crickets dust them every week with calcium and every other day with the other and you can feed them everyday or every other day i feed mine everday.....

Johnny84

Well I have my own Dubia Roach colony...we make sure he has food everyday, there is always food in his terrarium! But what should we dust them with can you give me that schedule! Thank you! Also how do I add a pic for my advatar? Ive looked and cant see where to add it.

KINGblackPHINEX

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny84 View Post
    Well I have my own Dubia Roach colony...we make sure he has food everyday, there is always food in his terrarium! But what should we dust them with can you give me that schedule! Thank you! Also how do I add a pic for my advatar? Ive looked and cant see where to add it.
    We'll when i dust mine i dust every monday with reptical then the next day i do with with reptilife+with d3 then wait a day feed her and dust it again and wait a day and then dust again but never do them on the same day because i guess you can overdose your frog... and let me check because i even forgot how to do it ill pm you or post it on here when i find out again :P

KINGblackPHINEX

ahh i found out click send a private message and look at the left hand corner of your screen after scrolling down a bit you will see edit avatar and signature and etc.. there you go!

Namio

Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum and have had reptiles for sometime now...we breed ball pythons and panther chameleons, in the near future we will hopefully be breeding some awesome looking Red Tail Boas...

We have a young Albino PacMan Frog....the question I have what feeding schedule and what types of different feeders do you feed...Also what size shoukd the frog be to offer a pinky mouse or pinky rat?

Thanks everyone and hopefully to make some good friends here!
    Feeding schedule will depend on the size and age of your animal. With young frogs (half dollar size or smaller) I'd feed almost everyday. Use common sense when it comes to how much to feed, if your frog's bellies looks overfed obviously I would stop feeding. If it's too skinny then I'd increase the frequency of feeding.
    I didn't offer my pacman any pinkies until it reached 2 and a half inches long, and I offer a pinky once a month. The most common food items for pacmans are crickets, earthworms (nightcrawlers), and dubia roaches. They prefer preys with soft bodies because hard exoskeletons can cause impaction which in severe case can lead to death of the animal. Don't forget to dust vitamin and calcium once in a while.

Johnny84

Quote Originally Posted by KINGblackPHINEX View Post
    We'll when i dust mine i dust every monday with reptical then the next day i do with with reptilife+with d3 then wait a day feed her and dust it again and wait a day and then dust again but never do them on the same day because i guess you can overdose your frog... and let me check because i even forgot how to do it ill pm you or post it on here when i find out again :P

Ok that helps a lot!!! So when offering them food daily, I dont see my little guy eat...I know he eats cuz the roaches disapear and I havnt got him any worms or crickets yet...so what tricks can I do to get him to eat everyday? (How can I get him to eat so I know that he is eating)(Ive only seen him eat visually 3 to 4 times)>>

Johnny84

Quote Originally Posted by KINGblackPHINEX View Post
    ahh i found out click send a private message and look at the left hand corner of your screen after scrolling down a bit you will see edit avatar and signature and etc.. there you go!

Heyyy..thanks I think I figured it out!

KINGblackPHINEX

I'm not sure when i feed mine i put her in a bucket since she is a sloppy eater and throw one cricket in there at a time and sh will eat in front of me maybe try that plus i do it so i can handle her hahaha i dont like having a frog at at least no being able to hold her and look at her once in a while so maybe try that or if you get a worm keep continuously wich it might take a while for him/her to do this but if you keep doing it, it should trigger a biting or feeding response and they will grab it and wont let go thats how i use to get my frog to eat worms because it does not like them it preferrs crickets and also try to vary there diet its not necasarry i dont think but i would to be honest..

KINGblackPHINEX

Heyyy..thanks I think I figured it out!
    your very welcome

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can't assume your frog is just eating them with out seeing. Roaches burrow in to about 1/2" of the substrate to hide. I'm sure if you skim the top layer you'll fins some hiding roaches. Offer a variety of live foods. Crickets, roaches, night crawler pieces, Hornworms, Silkworms, waxworms. Avoid superworms and mealworms.

Pluke

I find that feeding my frog at night when it comes out on it's own and looks for food is the best time.. then it takes whatever I put in front of him. It seemed to get excited and chase crickets although it took him a day or two to finally eat a hornworm, but he stopped resisting and likes them now. I use Repashy Multivitamin with D3+Cal.. I also have a calcium dust. Wish I had some local Dubia roach dealers.. I'd love to get some of those for him.

Johnny84

I have skimmed my fingers thru his subtrate weekly and always find some roaches under his water dishes...I then show them to him and offer him new ones along with the day before ones...he seems to be eating cuz he is staying healthy and the roaches are disappearing(they do bury themselves but I pull them to the top) I am going to try the bucket trick to see if that will get him to start eating more agressively...is their any other ways to get them to eat more aggresively?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have skimmed my fingers thru his subtrate weekly and always find some roaches under his water dishes...I then show them to him and offer him new ones along with the day before ones...he seems to be eating cuz he is staying healthy and the roaches are disappearing(they do bury themselves but I pull them to the top) I am going to try the bucket trick to see if that will get him to start eating more agressively...is their any other ways to get them to eat more aggresively?
    Some are just more lazy than others. You should train him to feed from tongs. This way you'll know for sure how much he is eating.

Johnny84

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Some are just more lazy than others. You should train him to feed from tongs. This way you'll know for sure how much he is eating.
    Whats the best way to train with tongs?

arielgasca420

I take the insect with the tongs and rub it on the frogs mouth. you may have to practice with this method for a few minutes but if the frog nudges the tongs or backs away than I would try tomorrow. my frog stomps his feet when he is not hungry and gets upset.
    I never let insects run unsupervised in the tank. roaches are ok but crickets are annoying. they chewed a hole through my styrofoam background so I have to go back to tong feeding. plus some insects will bite your animal, thus causing sores and stress.
    gut loaded dubias, crickets, and earthworms are the best variety in my opinion.
    I feed every other day and dust once a week, but I must tell you that I have an adult. some dust everyday, but I think thats overkill.

frogsubrosa

I didn't have to train mine to eat from tongs. It just did.

Initially it only eats food that is moving from the tongs. But once it associated the tongs with food, I didn't have to wiggle the frozen food anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information