Thread: Walk in Viv/enclosure i built

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Walk in Viv/enclosure i built

Okay so this is one of the walk in viv/enclosures I built for my work it's only about 80% done but I thought I'd share it with you all anyway. I'm waiting on live plants, going with some LG brooms, some Staghorn ferns, a few water lilies, and some Kentucky blue grass that Tyson told me about since it only needs about 4" of soil, to cover the entire ground area. I am also gonna try my hand at doing the celotex background like S6t6nic6 used for FBT adobe, just on a much larger scale. Anyway its 6' long X 5 1/2 ' wide X 6' tall. I found an old log which was rotted out about 1/2 way so I chiseled the rest out and put about 6 coats of self leveling acrylic to seal and preserve the wood as it was really old. It now serves as a water sluice which dumps into the pond. I also found the coolest knot on the same fallen tree which I cut off and cut down so it could be mounted on the wall and serve as a hide. I released the breeding pair of Timor Monitors into it today, cause my boss is impatient, I'm gonna get 2 more females for the enclosure ASAP. Anyway hope you enjoy it, and as always any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Ok so it keeps telling me that the link is no good when I try to attach it but it I cut and copy it works, let me know if you can watch the 2 videos if not I'll fix it some how
    Walk in viv/enclosure for Timor monitors - YouTube
    Walk in viv/enclosure 2 - YouTube

2. This member thanks IrishRonin for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tyson

Default Re: Walk in Viv/enclosure i built

thanks for posting this! cant wait to get my setup done. Your's looks awesome!!!

arielgasca420

looks awesome

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys, i cant wait to get the live plants and grass

Nationality
    [United States]

Very nice! You did a great job!!! Impressive!

Question for you...when making these how would you waterproof the wooden walls if you wanted to?

I ask bc I am purchasing a cabinet that I'm hoping to convert and it has to be able to tolerate 80% humidity and moist substrate for the plants.

Any ideas for me? Thanks!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

yeah I used a roll on rubberized sealant, they use it as a slip coat for flooring before they put tile down, on the floor it comes in a few colors but I used clear, also the grey color on the walls is Kills paint which is a great base it seals the wood but not from water. That would be the best bet I think or you could cover the whole thing in Silicon but thats a lot of silicon and would take forever. Thanks for all the kind words guy/girls!

NatureLady

Amazing! When can me and my frogs move in?

kmichael55

This looks so cool!! Good job!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

you can move in ASAP first months rent is free. Well as an update the monitors love it, they are climbing all over the place. Last night the male was hanging upside down drinking from the top of the water sluice after an hour he actually fell asleep that way it was to funny, I tried to get a pic but it didn't come out. So hopefully with in the next month I'm gonna be doing one like 5-6 X the size of this one. The enclosure is huge its about 20' long X 10' deep X 10' tall its either gonna house a Croc. monitor or a breeding pair of caiman lizards, Its a hard one. On one hand the croc monitors are huge and immensely impressive but I will only be one and on the other hand Caiman lizards are just wicked cool, though they only reaching about 3'-31/2', but I'll have a pair who hopeful would produce lots of little ones, definitely torn. Anyway thanks again guy I'll keep you posted

Thread Information