Thread: Need help identifying a frog

Melanie0629

Default Need help identifying a frog

Hello!
    I live in Ontario, Canada.
    A friend of mine rescued a bunch of tadpoles from her swimming pool. We have been caring for them for several weeks now. A week ago, the smallest one turned into a frog, although I cant tell what kind! We assumed they would be green leopard frogs, because that is the most common type of frog in this area. This little guy however, is brown and spotted, and sticks to the glass all the time. He rarely swims. My problem is I can't get him to eat anything. I bought pellets from a petstore that are meant for tadpoles and frogs, and also some pinhead crickets. He is already a week old and he is only about a cm long. About the size of my pinky finger nail. I'm worried he isnt eating (as far as i can tell anyway) and I don't want him to die! As tadpoles I fed the frozen boiled romaine lettuce, and they loved it. In the photo you can see another tadpole as well. Hopefully you can see it well enough so someone can tell me what he is!
    Thank you very much!Name:  IMG_7364.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  45.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Need help identifying a frog

Spring Peeper?

At the froglet stage they won't eat the pellets, they only go for live, moving food. Fruitflies and springtails are other options. There's hopefully a land portion for it to hang out on.

Do you plan on releasing them or keeping long term?

DC101

I read somewhere that the way to tell if its a spring peeper is that they have an X pattern on their back.
    Here is a pic:

Name:  springPeeper3.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  23.1 KB

I don't know its its true but yours does look like this. (I got the pic off a website by the way)
    Im sure someone will know for sure but i hope this helps you

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can try skimming the grass with a smooth cup. I use a white coffee cup. It works well. I remove any large bugs or red bugs to be safe. You can only do this is if your yard is not treated (chemlawn, perfalawn, etc.) Because he was wild it's ok. Once he gets bigger you can offer larger bugs.

I had the same problem. The fruitflies were too big for my tiny toadlets when they morphed. I was loosing some toadlets each day trying to feed them the ff's. Now they are doing great. Don't forget to calcium/vita D sprinkle the bugs very lightly 2x a week .

Because they are some type of tree frogs, you may want to add some plants soon. If you do, rinse all fertilizer off and remove the soil the plant is in. Replant in plain peatmoss, coco fiber substrate or plain plantation soil with no fertilizers. Use a regular spiral GE 6500 26watt full spectrum light bulb above the plants and push any frog poo into the plant's substrate. You can also use smooth fake plants which would be easier for now. They love some plants to climb and sleep on or under .

I'll try and get a picture of the bugs I scoop up for mine in the next couple days if it helps. I've been feeding mine this way for months. My current toadlets batch is about 3 weeks old.

Good luck!
    Yours are so cute!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Melanie0629

Thanks for your help everybody!
    I used the idea of skimming the grass and i got a few bugs for him...I'm not sure if he ate them or not. There is a big rock for him to climb on but I think I need to make more land surface. A second one will probably be a frog in a day or two.
    I've been raising them as a science project for my preschoolers but my husband is hoping to keep them as pets after. We have a very large aquarium that should house them fine. I\ll worry more about that as they get bigger though.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie0629 View Post
    I've been raising them as a science project for my preschoolers but my husband is hoping to keep them as pets after.
    If these are peepers (and they do look like it from the photo) you should know the males have a very loud call. Very, very loud. Be sure you're ready for it before making a long term commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by DC101 View Post
    I read somewhere that the way to tell if its a spring peeper is that they have an X pattern on their back.
    I don't know its its true but yours does look like this.
    It's true they do have an "X" on the back. This is where the "crucifer" part of their latin name "Pseudacris crucifer" come from.

Here's a pic of a freshly morphed one from a couple of years ago (the tail wasn't fully absorbed yet). The "X" is only partly visible in the picture though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information