Thread: Hello from Omaha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hello from Omaha

Hello All!

My name is Terry and from Omaha, Nebraska. I have been keeping a variety of amphibians for over 30 years. This past summer, I had the opportunity to be an amphibian keeper at the Omaha Zoo. Most of the species I took care of are endangered or extinct in the wild, such as the Wyoming Toad, the Puerto Rican Crested Toad, the Hellbender, the Dusky Gopher Frog, and Atelopus zeteki, as well as some interesting Madagascar species, such as Heterixalus madagascariensis and Scaphiophryne spinosa. About 17 years ago, I joined the Nebraska Herpetological Society and served as its President from 1994 to 1997 and again from 2006 to 2008. During that time, I also had the opportunity to work with Melissa Kaplan on AOL's Reptile and Amphibian Forum. In the past, I have kept African Bullfrogs, Chacoan Horned Frogs, and Typhlonectes natans (caecilians). Due to space limitations, I currently have 4 African clawed frogs and 2 Surinam toads.

Currently the webmaster for the Nebraska Herpetological Society and maintain the only Xenopus information portal on the Internet Gopher. I am really glad to have discovered this forum and look forward to meeting all of you!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Hello from Omaha

Welcome to the forum Terry. That's quite a list of accomplishments. Sludgemunkey is from your neck of the woods and he's a huge amphibian enthusiast. What's the address of your Xenopus site?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Welcome aboard. Quite an impressive resume you have there. It is nice to have someone of your caliber here.

It's been a while since I last communicated with Melissa Kaplan, I wonder if she even remembers me.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Hello from Omaha

Thanks for the welcome! It's great to be here. The reason I am here is to learn more about these wonderful creatures and to share any information I have with others. The address for my Gopher site is gopher://sdf.lonestar.org/1/users/tgampper/acf. Next month, I will be moving it to another server so I will be able to have more room and expand it to include other species.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Excellent!

Looks like I can give up my title of "Bellevue's Only Creepy Frog and Salamander Guy" (finally)
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information