Thread: Some clarifications needed

Sparta

Default Some clarifications needed

Hi there, this will be my first post here.

I'm wanting to get myself a pacman frog and I've been reading here for a few days (the caresheet and forum threads as well) and now I think I'm ready.

But I think I'll clarify some things before I commit. In my country, humidity is mostly about 75-80% and temperature is about 85F year round. Does that mean I do not need a heater? I'll still be keeping the tank well covered, just to ensure there is no fluctuations.

The pet shops over here are not too well stocked, and I'm also having difficulty getting coco fiber as a substrate. Does organic soil work as well?
    Also, no supplements and vitamins for amphibians in the shop, so i'm ordering online. Will the frog be ok without the supplements and vitamins for a month? I guess that's the average time it takes for things to get shipped in. The lady in the shop told me that the pacman she can bring in is about 1.5" or so.

With regards to diet, I've access to:
    -crickets (I can get loads of these at a good price, but they really stink)
    -frozen farm bred roaches (supplier told me these are meant for fishes and hence enhanced with Vitamin A. I read abit about Vit A toxicity, but I'm not really sure what it is. So I'm still contemplating if I want to use these as a staple)
    -guppies (breed them myself and I usually feed the culls to my fishes, but I guess I can spare some as a treat for the pacman)
    -pinkies (they are hamster pinkies. my friend breeds them occasionally and he doesn't mind spare me one when it happens.)
    -mealworms and superworms (to be used sparingly as well)
    -bullfrogs of various sizes (also able to get at a good price. but is the risk of disease transmission from frog-to-frog significantly higher? I can quarantine them though)
    -frozen silkworm (supplier is not consistent though)

I got a spare 10" X 7" X 6" tank and will be using it to house the pacman until it gets bigger.
    I've also got another spare 2' X 1.5' X 1.5' tank that I can use when it gets bigger. I'm not sure how many gallons this is. I've read that the frog might not fell safe in too large a tank. So if it's too big/small, do let me know so I can save up for another tank.

I'm sorry for the messy and long post as I'm not too good with english. So I'll try to make it easier for contributions:
    1) Do I still need a heater in a country with tropical climate?
    2) Does organic soil work as a substrate?
    3) Can a 1.5" frog be good without supplements and vitamins for a month? (I can feed it clean guppies and small froglets for calcium though)
    4) Anything wrong with the list of diet for the pacman?
    5) Are the tanks I have sufficient?

Thank you so much for any assistance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Some clarifications needed

You should be fine without a heater, but get a temperature gauge and Humidity gauge so you can monitor heat and humidity to be sure its right.

Organic soil can work as long as it contains absolutely no fertilizers or chemicals. Are you able to order Eco Earth Coconut Fiber?

The frog will be fine for a month if you offer a diverse diet with a few different items offered for food. I would only offer the roaches once a month so you don't cause Vitamin A toxicity. Vitamin A toxicity is when there is a buildup of the vitamin in the frog's system and essentially poisons the frog. The same can happen with all vitamins if given them too much too often. Stay away from Mealworms and Superworms. Their exoskeleton is made of a hard chitin that the frog will have trouble digesting. They can cause an impaction which is a severe blockage of the frogs intestinal tract. Impaction can be fatal. Pinkie should not be Fed to your frog until it reaches 2.5" in length and no more than once a month. Fish should be the same. Crickets can be gut loaded by feeding them fruit and vegetables. This will fill the crickets with vitamins that will be passed on to your frog when the frog eats the crickets. Earthworms are the best feeder for frogs as a staple. This roaches would not be because they will eventually make the frog sick with Vitamin A toxicity.

Are the tanks L"x W"x H"? If so then the first tank should be ok. About the second tank, may want a different one for when the frog gets bigger, but it may still work.

Sparta

Thank you for the advise!

In that case, I'd try to find a shop online that sells supplements and coconut fiber. Will be using paper tissue as a substrate as a temporary measure then.

The only earthworms I managed to find are those from the bait shop, so until I can find a clean source, I'll have to stay away from them.

The first tank mentioned is in inches, and the 2nd is in feet. And yup, it's LXWXH in both instances.

I'll update again when I have pictures!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    Thank you for the advise!

In that case, I'd try to find a shop online that sells supplements and coconut fiber. Will be using paper tissue as a substrate as a temporary measure then.

The only earthworms I managed to find are those from the bait shop, so until I can find a clean source, I'll have to stay away from them.

The first tank mentioned is in inches, and the 2nd is in feet. And yup, it's LXWXH in both instances.

I'll update again when I have pictures!
    You're welcome.

Welcome to Frog Forum.

Make sure you place some sort of hide in the enclosure and cover 3 sides with some sort of dark background so the frog feels secure and hidden.

Thread Information