Thread: Polypedates dennysi with eye irregularity

aquamentus11

Default Polypedates dennysi with eye irregularity

I've had my frog for about a month now and he's been doing great. Due to the lack of info on these guys, I've been keeping him like a White's, but only bring my ambient daytime temp up to about 75 with basking underneath his UVB lamp at about 80. Humidity ranges between 50 and 80. He's about an inch long and eats 3-4 crickets a night. I switch between calcium w/o D3 and reptivite. He's very active at night and a lot of fun to watch. Tonight I've noticed that his left eye is looking slightly different than the right. The right pupil is nice, large and horizontal, but the left pupil is smaller and almost round. The left eye itself looks to be protruding slightly less than the right and the overall color of the left eye is darker than the right. If this was a gecko or snake, I'd think it was a retained shed. The nictitating membrane isn't up and both eyes react when he swallows/pulls in his eyes. There's no sign of inflammation or any drainage coming from it. He seems to see fine out of it judging from his leaps when I had him out to get a better look. I'm at a loss on this one: it doesn't look infected, I use paper towel so it's not a piece of substrate. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Polypedates dennysi with eye irregularity

Pictures would help!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

aquamentus11

Name:  IMG01393-20120712-2246.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  36.8 KB
    normal eye
    Name:  IMG01392-20120712-2246.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  43.2 KB
    wonky eye
    Name:  IMG01397-20120712-2247.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  49.5 KB
    handsome, but notice how the left eye doesn't come out as far as the right

i just noticed that his left pupil does not dilate in the dark like it should.

aquamentus11

i'm going to start flushing it with saline once a day: it can't hurt.

Just make sure the saline doesn't really touch his skin. If you have a vet they can actually give you drops better than saline. Not really sure what could be causing it. I would definitely watch it for infection.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

aquamentus11

i'm picking up some medicine for him tomorrow and made an appointment with an exotics vet for thursday.

Good hope you little one gets well soon! Cutie little thing!!

aquamentus11

thanks. i've kept reptiles in the past, but if all frogs are like this, i may make the switch

aquamentus11

i've been putting what basically amounts to opthalmic neosporin on the eye for about a week without change. it's starting to look like a growth abnormality at this point: the left eye just looks to be smaller than the right. at rest during the day, the pupils are markedly uneven with the larger right eye's pupil being dilated while the left stays halfway constricted. at night though, i've looked in and found that both pupils are fully blown. it's not affecting his hunting: he eats everything i put in for him and has fairly good aim when he strikes (though he does miss about a third of the time, i think this is normal). anyway, i was on call and slept through the appointment last thursday, so i set up another this saturday. we'll see what the vet thinks. i hope he's ok because i absolutely love watching everything he does. i have my eye on a milk frog next as an aside, any problems housing different species together as long as their care is identical? the milks' secretions may be a hazard, but i'm not sure.

Thread Information