Thread: Feeding

herbaltree

Question Feeding

When feeding your pacs, do you tong feed or put the crickets in loose for the frog to catch itself?

I started off tong-feeding but more recently he's taking a little bit longer to eat and is snapping at the tongs more than the bugs! So on occasion I've left a cricket in front of him so that he can eat it in his own time.

So I'm just wondering if it's best to be doing this anyway, give him a chance to be a bit more independent! Or if tong feeding is the way to go (as you can monitor feedings more)?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Arie

Default Re: Feeding

I think it varies on the frog and your own preference really. I tong feed one of my frogs, while my other prefers to hunt (he likes to eat in private and seems to be afraid of the tongs!). He's still little, though so I have to rip the back legs off the crickets when I feed them so they are easier for my ornate to catch. I still have a lot to learn about pacman frogs though, so if someone else has different advise, please feel free to correct me!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can do both. Occasionally mine like to Chase their food and other times they will want it brought to them so just switch back and forth as the frog does this.

herbaltree

Great, thanks for your replies!

Locascio

if i might add ... i use co-co fiber in my cages but i dont like to feed them in the same cage bekuz thay eat a little sometimes when there hunting so i have there own feeding cage with just a bare floor... most of my frogs dont mind being moved to the other cage for feeding but i do have a few thay dont like to be moved so in this case i do use tongs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I tong feed both my pacmans, but recently changed my Apricot Albino over to all water (It's very shallow. S/he can still hop around. It's a small enclosure and I change the water often), so I just drop the food item in the water for him/her to get. I know Eco Earth is suppose to be highly digestible, but I'm starting to worry because of the large amounts they seem to ingest when the food item is dropped or them even trying to "catch" the food item. I also don't like the idea of picking them up to move them to eat. I think it just adds unneeded stress. However, as Grif mentioned tong feeding is truly up to you.

Thread Information