Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor baby :(

Sheena

Default My poor baby :(

Hello everyone, I'm new to the frog world. I did a lot of research before purchasing these little guys, but obviously not enough...

I bought two Red-Eyed Tree Frogs (aprox. 1 1/2 in) about 2 weeks ago. One of them had some white splotches, never ate and eventually died about 6 days after I got them. The other one has been extremely active at night and eating about 10 small (very small) crickets a day. However this all changed a couple of days ago. I got nervous after the first one died so I took the one still living out and disinfected the entire tank then put him back in. He didn't eat that night but I wasn't surprised. After reading I reading I realized that I probably didn't have enough hiding places for him so I got a vein and put it in the tank. Well he's been sleeping for two nights now (always been awake and extremely active at night). I took a closer look at him tonight and realized that he has brown/black splotches all over his skin and some funny looking ring on his nose. He was perfect when I got him, no splotches or anything. Am I over reacting? Did I do something wrong?

My enclosure:
    I have a 10 gal aquarium with terrarium liner (fake grass mat) on three sides and the bottom (to help keep it dark so he feels safe...hopefully). I have a 2.0 UVB light (I had been using an infrared light during the day but had to turn it off when I put the vein in, temp got to about 100 F). I mist about 3-4 times a day and the temp stays about 80-85 F during the day and 70-75 at night. Humidity is about 60-70% at night and 70-80% during the day. He has two small bowls of water which I change daily and a few hanging plants around the walls (which he never sits on). I just put in the vein which takes up most of the tank and I feed gut-loaded crickets dusted with calcium D3 and herptivite out of a glass feeding bowl so I know if he eats or not.

Please...if anyone has any advice please help I really don't want my baby to die!

Thanks,
    Sheena

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: My poor baby :(

mind posting pictures of the frog? im not positive on whats an "ideal" temp but i keep mine no where near 85. i dont even use a light on mine at all. my house temperature is perfect for them. usually about 76 during the day and a little lower at night. i have heard a lot of bad things about the fake grass mat...i wouldnt use anything but papertowels for now. since they are new i would also try to leave them alone a bit. maybe cover up 3 sides of your tank with something (background, poster board, newspaper, etc) so they wont stress out as easy. a 10 gallon wont work for them forever. but i guess it will do for now since its just 1. has he been eating? and pooping? its best to get a fecal check done. depending on who you got your frogs from they easily come with worms or parasites. Dr. Frye can do a fecal check for you and also send medicine if needed.

The cost is $18 per group of frogs housed together. Collect 3-5 feces from each group of frogs and put them in a small air-tight container with a small amount of moist paper towel to keep them from drying out. Label each tank’s sample and send them ASAP to 517 West Main St, Milan MI 48160. Try to aim for a Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday delivery. We are closed Wednesdays and Sundays, and the hospital closes on Saturdays before mail arrives. Next day delivery is ideal, but 2-day will work. You can include a check, call my hospital to pre-pay via credit card at 734-439-2273, or send me funds through Pay-Pal at dr.frye.vetatmilan@gmail.com .

im not sure about what the spots and ring are. the mark on his nose could be from him hitting the glass because the enclosure is small. a picture would help greatly if you can do so while he is sleeping so he is not disturbed. and from what im reading you have a mat on the sides of his tank?? if thats correct, i think mine like the glass better than anything. i would put something on the outside not the inside. so he can stick to his glass.

also there is a form on "trouble in the enclosure" might be easier for people to go off of reading that if you dont mind filling one out.

Trouble in the enclosure or a frog is sick ?
    It is great that one seeks advice ! After all, that's why we are here !!!
    There actually may be nothing wrong , or conversely, a change in behavior warrants keeping a close eye on your froggy friend !

'patience is a virtue' AND 'time is of the essence'

If there is trouble in the frog enclosure it will be very helpful if one could provide as much of the following information as possible:
    THEN---- post this information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog so there is no confusion

1-size of enclosure
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?)
    3-humidity
    4-temp
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6-materials used for substrate
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv
    8-main food source
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )
    10-lighting
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12-when is the last time he ate
    13-have you found poop lately
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine
    15- how old is the frog
    16-how long have you owned him
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats
    19- about how often the frog is handled
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area
    21- describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)

Edit: was your frog field collected? you might want to email dr frye about your problem, your frog could have a skin infection. ive seen others with black spots and dr frye can mail you medicine for it. he has saved many peoples frogs just by simple emails. i suggest a fecal check asap and emailing him.

Sheena

Sorry, this was the best I could do....

mrzoggs

Quote Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
    Sorry, this was the best I could do....

pictures arent working. try uploading them to photobucket... and filling out the sheet.

DC101

How long after you disinfected the enclosure did you put him back in?

The viv needs to air out after a bit of cleaning because the fumes of the bleach or whatever you used stay for a while.

Sheena

I put him right back in, I used Healthy Habitat though. I use it at work all the time without taking the animals out of their cages and never had issues. However I did just remember that I used tap water to rinse the Healthy Habitat off, could that be causing issues.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if you can use Vetericyn on frogs?

Sorry about the photos and everything, I'm really bad at this forum stuff, I will have to figure all that out tomorrow...past my bedtime tonight

DC101

Im not sure about the vetericyn, but im pretty sure that the tap water should have been a problem. If it dried properly before you put the frogs in it should be alright but im not too sure...

mrzoggs

send dr frye an email. i wouldnt put anything on your frogs unless you KNOW its ok to use. im not even sure what veteriycn is. and red eyes are very dilicate animals. i dont think tap water wouldve caused THAT many problems. not black spots on your frog...

DC101

I agree with Mrzoggs, ask dr frye. Also, book an appointment to the vet as soon as possible. It sounds pretty bad and you don't want to risk it.

Sheena

Thank you for all your help. I emailed Dr. Frye and I will try to find a vet tomorrow.

mrzoggs

keep us updated please.

Sheena

I will, thanks again!

Sheena

Thanks everyone. I emailed Dr. Frye and he said it was bacterial, fungal or a mixed dermatitis. Unfortunately I can't afford the meds at the moment so I sprayed some Vetericyn on him for now and I'm hoping for the best. So far I've seen this stuff do some pretty amazing things, I'm just hoping I caught it in time...

I hope for the best too, I am not sure if you can use that on frogs I just see it about cats and dogs. Good luck

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Sheena

Yes, I just talked to my boss and she said she has used it on frogs before. I have used it on everything including reptiles. It's great stuff as long as I caught it in time.

Sheena

Anyone know about how long the frog can go without eating before I need to start force feeding?

If he isn't eating by with in a week start.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Sheena

Ok, thanks so I still have a while...just making sure.

mrzoggs

someone on here (who shall remain nameless unless they pop in here) told me if you see your frog shed you can throw a cricket in its mouth... it will be less stresfull than force feeding. probably one of the best pieces of information ive gotten in a long time.

The only problem with that is when a frog sheds they tend to eat it. It’s actually good for them. So watch out they might have the skin in the mouth which may prevent the frog from swallowing the cricket and cause problems. If you try to force feed the cricket and it doesn't work get a paste from the Vet or even a pet store. They need the nutrient especially when sick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information