Thread: What time to find frogs?

FrogNoobie659

Default What time to find frogs?

What time can you find frogs? My friends keep telling me that there is a sertain time that you have to find frogs at? Is that true?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yusil

Default Re: What time to find frogs?

Well, it can be slightly complicated, depending on the frog/toad.

Some frogs, mostly the Terrestrial[Land] Species, go into Estivation, or a hibernation of sorts, usually burrowing into the ground when it get's too cold, and so would be particularly hard to find.

As for most other frogs, it's generally dependant on the species. Some frogs are Nocturnal only coming out at night and depending on where they hunt or live, that's where they'll be, i.e- Tree Frogs will be in the Trees or on walls, and Aquatic/Semi-Aquatic frogs would be near water.

Then some are Diurnal or active during the day and the same applies.

But eitherway, frogs aren't gonna just let you walk up on them, if they see you coming, they'll normally hop away or swim in the case of water-dwelling frogs.

I suggest you practice catch and release if you don't have a suitable home for them, and even if you do, I'd strongly recommend just buying a captive bred one or even adopting one if a place near you allows it. Because a Wild Frog is exactly that, wild and wouldn't feel overly happy if it was taken from it's home, plus the possibilities of unknown illness can arise and some other things you might not want.

You can do it I suppose[if your laws allow you to], but you should make sure you have all it's needs accounted for and that you know for sure you can take care of it. Otherwise, you may as well leave it or return it where you found it .

FrogNoobie659

Default Re: What time to find frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Yusil View Post
    Well, it can be slightly complicated, depending on the frog/toad.

Some frogs, mostly the Terrestrial[Land] Species, go into Estivation, or a hibernation of sorts, usually burrowing into the ground when it get's too cold, and so would be particularly hard to find.

As for most other frogs, it's generally dependant on the species. Some frogs are Nocturnal only coming out at night and depending on where they hunt or live, that's where they'll be, i.e- Tree Frogs will be in the Trees or on walls, and Aquatic/Semi-Aquatic frogs would be near water.

Then some are Diurnal or active during the day and the same applies.

But eitherway, frogs aren't gonna just let you walk up on them, if they see you coming, they'll normally hop away or swim in the case of water-dwelling frogs.

I suggest you practice catch and release if you don't have a suitable home for them, and even if you do, I'd strongly recommend just buying a captive bred one or even adopting one if a place near you allows it. Because a Wild Frog is exactly that, wild and wouldn't feel overly happy if it was taken from it's home, plus the possibilities of unknown illness can arise and some other things you might not want.

You can do it I suppose[if your laws allow you to], but you should make sure you have all it's needs accounted for and that you know for sure you can take care of it. Otherwise, you may as well leave it or return it where you found it .
    Thank you for your help! The only reason I want to look for toads/frogs is because I have never seen one in person before, I am getting some Fire Belly Toads in September though. If I found a frog/toad is the wild then I would not keep it, the most I would do is hold it or something.

Thread Information