Thread: Injured White's Tree Frog

Emmie

Default Injured White's Tree Frog

Hi,

I'm hoping that you could possibly help.

On Saturday, my brother was spraying my White's tree frogs tank, when he went to shut the door, my frogs front hand was caught in between the door.

My brother said he did not shut the door with force, but my frog jumped away and made a sound.
    Since Saturday he has not been jumping or climbing his jungle vines and glass as he usually would; he's been sitting on his log still.

He is finding it difficult to grip with his hand and his movement is slow and reliant on the his other hand.

However, he has been eating normally. The humidity in the tank has been difficult to maintain, as well as the temperature, mainly due to the weather we're currently experiencing in the UK.
    Please could you tell me whether is hand will mend itself, whether he can be medically treated, and whether he can overcome this injury.

I've attached an image of him, which shows his left hand resting on the log, but the right hand limp and not gripping anything.

Many Thanks

Em
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Injured White's Tree Frog

Looks like his arm is broken. He'll get over it but it's unlikely he'll ever be able to use it well again. I very much doubt a vet could splint the arm - frogs are very soft-bodied. However, a resourceful vet could surely give it a shot. Best of luck.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Hi Emmie,

It's obviously difficult to evaluate the leg without seeing it, so it might be best to get it to a vet for full examination and possible radiographs. That would be the only way to properly assess whether surgical fixation is warranted, although that would rarely be the best option (in my opinion). As a general rule, you would usually be looking at just cage rest for the frog (making sure that falls are limited/cushioned as much as possible - they may be a risk if that leg is unreliable).

A vet could also consider an anti-inflammatory treatment, to reduce any initial bruising etc, although that would be best as soon as possible after the injury.

Hope he recovers ok.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie View Post
    However, he has been eating normally. The humidity in the tank has been difficult to maintain, as well as the temperature, mainly due to the weather we're currently experiencing in the UK.
    Please could you tell me whether is hand will mend itself, whether he can be medically treated, and whether he can overcome this injury.

SparkyTucker69

I know I'm kinda late to the party but my Red Eye's front leg got stuck in his door one time. I felt so bad, it was all my fault. Later that day I noticed that he was jumping around with his injured arm up against his chest. Eventually he began to use it again and made a full recovery. We continued to care for him normally as if nothing happened. The only thing I did differently was inspect his cage daily instead of weekly and pick up droppings, left-over crickets, etc. in order to prevent bacteria growth that could infect his wound.Good luck with your frog (although I'm sure it's way too late to be saying this), I hope you are as fortunate as I was to have your frog heal on his own with no complications.

Thread Information