Thread: My new Pacman Frogs! With pictures!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default My new Pacman Frogs! With pictures!

Last week I received two new baby Cranwelli, a baby albino, and a baby Fantasy Frog. I ordered them from Reptile City, big mistake there (I'll post about my experience with THAT company soon enough...what a nightmare) and they came home about an inch and a half svl, that was monday the 25th of June. Now they are already just over two inches svl. When the first shipment arrived the Fantasy Frog did not survive transit no thanks to Reptile City, and a replacement came on Saturday the 30th and he is very tiny.
    The Albino has been a very aggressive eater since his arrival, while the two very green and somewhat brown lil ones have been more reluctant feeders and I've had to perform some very gentle force feeding (though its more like trick feeding, being that I trick them into eating more than I force them too). By inserting a playing card bewteen their lips, they open their mouths and I can insert the tip of half a nightcrawler and voila. once the food is in their mouths, they gladly eat it. Ive had to do that several times with them and they are nice and chubby, so Im going to hold off feeding a few days and see if they get a nice appetite going. I force fed the Fantasy Frog a few waxworms the day after he arrived just to get some food in him, a couple days later I did the same with a small chunk of vitamin dusted fish nugget. Ive since let him be and last night he accepted half a nightcralwer no problem.
    I also received a very comical Budgetts frog that eats voraciously and frequently, this is my first one.

This is my second go at keeping Pacman frogs. Nearly a decade ago I was the owner of several reptiles, but a crisis in life led to me adopting out all of my animals except for my Pacman frogs, a large green female, a small green male and a small albino male. I had to spend a week away from home, and had an aquiatance of mine who was a fish breeder look after my frogs. I had set them up in large exo terra breeding boxes with shallow water at the bottom for easy maintenance. I fed them right before I left so he wouldnt have to. WHen I returned and went into the aquarium room, I had found the containers knocked from their shelves and upside down on the floor. The floor was dry, and not only that, his aquariums were noticeably uncared for. I thought I knew the guy but I wish I knew him better. Turns out he went a bit manic and hadnt even entered the room for the entire week. The water in my frogs enclosures was allowed to completely dry out, and in a state of panic determination the frogs had pushed there now empty critter keepers off the shelf, where they dried out on the carpet. Somehow the albino male just barely survived and some weeks later, feeling very upset about the fate of my breeding trio, I adopted him out as well. The whole fiasco left me very heartbroken and angry and I couldnt believe the irresponsibility this individual displayed. And here I thought a fish breeder could follow through with the simple procedure of changing an inch of water in a few critters keepers everyday when he fed his fish.
    I have since owned one Pacman frog, a Petco purchase and the frog never did very well for multiple reasons. I probably shouldnt have purchased that particular frog from the get go.

But I decided to give things another go and here we are.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My new Pacman Frogs! With pictures!

Note the size difference in the greenest one in the first picture, when he first arrived, compared with the ninth photograph...in just one week!

I house them all in small containers with moss, a rooted cutting of pothos and a small terra cotta water dish. They have been eating off of mostly nightcrawler, with some waxworms and some nuggets of bullhead and even a little fresh bass. I tried some freeze dried crickets rehydrated in water and dipped in calcium and D3 but they spit that right out, the Budgetts frog likes them though. I also ordered some of that Samurai Pacman food, for novelty and convenience sake, but nightcralwers will probably remain the staple of their diet.

Wicked frogs

sweet frogs guy

Yoci

Nice looking pacs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They look good all the same Ra. Hopefully that terrible transaction isn't too disappointing. They loom healthy judging from the pics.

Ivan M

Nightcrawlers are an excellent choice of food and will surely help your frogs grow rapidly. If you are using SPAGNUM moss please remove it, this will surely cause impaction to your frogs and can be lethal. Congrats on your new beautiful frogs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan M View Post
    Nightcrawlers are an excellent choice of food and will surely help your frogs grow rapidly. If you are using SPAGNUM moss please remove it, this will surely cause impaction to your frogs and can be lethal. Congrats on your new beautiful frogs.
    I forcep feed all of my frogs on a smooth clean surface outside of the enclosure, and have always done so with all of my frogs and I have never had a problem. I also closely monitor their stool and have never seen any moss in the stool of any of my frogs. I certainly wouldn't suggest moss be used for frogs fed in the enclosure though. I'd sooner use brown paper towels than coco fiber but I think I'll stick with sphagnum moss.
    And thanks everybody! Despite the shipping problems I had with Reptile City, I did get some very healthy looking frogs.

GeorgiaBulls

Some great looking pacs!

Wizzlewuzzle

Heartbreaking story . Your new frogs are adorable, though.

herbaltree

Aw so cute and tiny! And beautiful colours too. Good luck with them!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

To think these pics were taken just over a week ago, they've since doubled in size. New pics soon!

Thread Information