Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, this is my first Vivarium, Please take a look and comment freely.

Ribbet

Default Hello, this is my first Vivarium, Please take a look and comment freely.

It took me a while to get it all set up. I don't have frogs yet, but I will as soon as the moss starts to take off. I'm planning for Fire bellied toads, about 6 or 7. I tried buttermilk pancake mix (mixed to a slightly thinner than paste consistency) but I found that it would cause mold and therefor stopped. I am hoping that the fogger will create enough of a moist environment for the moss to grow. I'll write more later but for now I just want to try to get the images up.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ribbet

Default Re: Hello, this is my first Vivarium, Please take a look and comment freely.

More photos.

Ribbet

Default Re: Hello, this is my first Vivarium, Please take a look and comment freely.

More.

Ribbet

And even more photos.

Ribbet

The things you see that look like glass are glass, I work in a glass shop. The Buddha head is my "Indian Jones" ruin type theme and it is glazed Terracotta that I am hoping, due to the cracks, will spawn moss growth. The head is hollow and the glass flower coming out of the top of it is hollow as well. I hope to get a slow moving pump that will push water out of the flower and create a waterfall over the Buddha head. The tank is all water at the bottom and then large gravel, thanks to the guys here I learned about firebellie's bad eating habits and tendency to swallow anything small, covered in coconut fiber with a small, almost tiny, amount of soil to promote moss growth. I have two foggers (accidently bought two on the bay LOL) and I never have both running at the same time so I'll probably have them on timers just to increase productivity and decrease malfunctioning. The plants in the water are java moss, thanks again to y'all, and some plant, the one on the right based in the small glass container with the blue aquarium glass, that I don't remember the name of but got at petsmart. The other plants are (again thanks to y'all) Herdera Ivy, a spider plant and an orchid, which is doing much better in there than in the midst of my art warehouse abode. Oh, I also have a bamboo I got at petsmart as well, which is really new. I've had bad luck with bamboo before, I live in Santa Fe, NM which doesn't seem to be as conducive to Bamboo as many think. Or maybe it's just my not so green thumb.

The only problem I'm having so far is the fact that crud builds up on the front inside glass, probaly due to the fogger, rather fast.

Ribbet

By the way, the moss is of an unknown....?Species? I got it by buying some small plantings at one of the local greenhouses and peeling it off the top. I really hope it grows but it is not doing much so far.

Ribbet

I also don't know what variety the wood is, it was in the tank when I bought it at a local Salvation Army store for $35.

Bearnandos

Hi,
    If you can get hold of a large amount of live java moss - drape the java moss where you wish in to grow and into the water to give a more natural feel - try to keep it slightly tight by using string. fishing line or thin rubber bands so that it can root quicker - really roots well on wood.
    If you want contrasting moss to give a better effect - you could try 'Kyoto Moss Spores' which are tiny moss seeds that do very well in high humidity vivariums - you can pick them up from Ebay or any good bonsai shop. Kyoto moss is a very short dense rich green moss...Japanese tend to like it alot lol.
    I would remove the Orchid from the pot - let the roots drape over the wood without touching the water - the more light the root gets - the happier it will be.
    Both moss should set and grow in around 4-6 weeks if you have good lighting and high humidity.
    Legs
    Last edited by Bearnandos; December 20th, 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Ribbet

Hey, thanks for the advice. What do you mean by "contrasting moss" though. I'm looking for that moss on eBay right now.

Bearnandos

Hmmmmm......Contrasting, basically the long stems and very dark green of the java moss as compared with the shorter stems and lighter greens of the Kyoto can make a stronger impact on the overall look of your Vivarium.
    You would only need one packet of the Kyoto moss spores.
    So if you wanted to grow your moss in the fline cracks/lines on your budha head - just place a small amount of substrate (coco husk etc...) into the cracks/lines and the a small amount of spore - they will grow very nicely

Ribbet

I understand now, thank you. I just bought a package of the Kyoto Moss. If the Buddha head is turned into a waterfall do you think the moss will still grow on it? I looked for java moss on eBay, we don't have it here in town, but it looks like most of them are selling Java Fern, which I already have for underneath the water. Are the two the same? I don't think they are, but maybe I'm wrong.

Bearnandos

Hi,
    Java fern and Java moss are very different tho they are from the same family. If you wish to turn your budha head into a waterfall then you can use Java Moss as it can grow under water and above water as long as humity is very high. Java moss is a moss with long stems but can be pruned back to give a neater look.
    Try to use RO or rainwater at the beginning as most moss will grow better - also this will stop any buildup on your tank glass and fogger. If you decided to use RO water - then before you place in your toads just add some rainwater.
    Basically - most of the plants suitable for vivariums do not grow very well with tap water.

Ribbet

Sorry, but I have more questions. In the following statement you made, did you say this correctly? Was the word "fern" supposed to be replaced somewhere? Will the Kyoto work on the Buddha head?

Bearnandos

The Kyoto will not be able to withstand the constant waterflow if the whole budha head is used as a waterflow ..... but the Java moss will as the roots when anchored has a very tight hold.
    You can use your Kyoto everywhere else in your tank - just remember to sprinkle a little substrate on the desired place first before to add the spores.
    Can you to get hold of Java moss???

Ribbet

So, is this what I want?
    1oz of Java Moss - eBay (item 260525678861 end time Dec-25-09 12:03:47 PST)

And what is this talk about "snails"? Do I want snails? And of course, thanks for your help.

Bearnandos

Yes!!! thats the moss
    Personally I would remove any snails in my tank as snails can pass on disease but then again they can help keep your moss clean.....so personal preference.
    Just use Fishing line, rubber bands, string or netting to hold the Java moss in place till the Java moss roots.

Ribbet

Why do I need something to hold it in place? I don't have frogs in there yet.

Bearnandos

You do not have to - but if you want the moss to root quicker - the closer the item you want covered in moss the quicker the moss can root to it. It will also have a more sculptured finish as the moss is tighter to the items you want covered

Ribbet

So, I've taken this completely apart and am adding some new features.

daziladi

Wow... sure hope I can make something like that one day. Excellent budda head.... hope you'll post photos after the growth comes in between the cracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information