Thread: Ambient temperatures VS gradient temperatures

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Ambient temperatures VS gradient temperatures

I keep reading about keepers who keep there frogs in a terrarium with gradient temperatures, a cool side and a warm side. I have kept numerous different species of reptiles and amphibians over the years, but these days Im strictly a Frog man. I have never seen the purpose of providing Horned Frogs with a cool side of the tank and prefer to provide an ambient temperature with a heat lamp. This way, the air temperature stays warm, while below the substrate it is a bit cooler which allows the Frogs to thermo regulate by burrowing down, like they do in nature.
    For this reason, placing a UTH on one side of the tank to provide a horizontal temperature gradient seems to be anti-ethical to these frogs natural behaviors. Ive also noticed that a side placed UTH will cause the substrate to warm up well below the surface of the substrate on the warm side. Now Ive noticed that some frogs have a tendency to occupy a particular area of the enclosure despite temperatures and other conditions. If the frog was too warm, wouldnt it attempt to burrow before it decided to move to the cooler side of the enclosure, causing a bit of a confusing conundrum for the frog?

Ive also found that ambient temperatures keep the humidity level a bit more consistent throughout the enclosure.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Ambient temperatures VS gradient temperatures

I agree. I feel that UTH name should be changed so that people are not confused. if you put it under a tank than the cord will get smashed and kill the pad way too soon. Most people put them on the side of the tank but I think it takes away from the aesthetic beauty of the tank (if you take a lot of pride in how your tank looks). I use heat bulbs because I feel the hot spot is the ambient temp and the substrate is the cool spot. I always make sure to provide my frogs with a lot of substrate to burrow in for a temp buffer. By no means am I an expert at this stuff and my opinion is just one of many.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I agree completely.

But, though UTH heaters, if used, should NEVER be placed under the frogs enclosure if the animal can even possibly reach the bottom glass...for people keeping other species of animals, placing rubber feet under the tank is important for not only giving the cord space, but to release excess heat which keeps the glass from cracking. Always read the directions.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by Ra View Post
    I agree completely.

But, though UTH heaters, if used, should NEVER be placed under the frogs enclosure if the animal can even possibly reach the bottom glass...for people keeping other species of animals, placing rubber feet under the tank is important for not only giving the cord space, but to release excess heat which keeps the glass from cracking. Always read the directions.
    the rubber feet the heat pad provides never works for me. they always fall off. i just gave up on UTH. thats my preference though

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I use both. The reason for both ambient air temp and a gradient is because of the frogs natural environment being warm. The air is very humid and hot. Providing a gradient allows them to choose whether they want to be warm or cool and not only this, but the cool side always hold a bit more moisture than the warm side so they can choose to be more hydrated without using the water source. Their digestive systems work by heat so if the frog want to be warm to digest a large meal it just ate it will go to the warm side and burrow. Their should always be a choice for the frog and if sacrificing the beauty of the tank provides a better home for your frog then that should be a easy decision to make.

When the UTH is on the side of the tank it should be just above the surface of the substrate so that it warms the air and not the substrate. The whole purpose of placing it on the side is so it doesn't warm the soil hardly at all. Anything that produces heat causes a drying affect and also will warm the substrate some because the ambient air is slightly warmer on that side.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using these units combined with a light to create the correct climate for your frog.

arielgasca420

For me it is an obstacle to privide a warm and cool spot in my tank with the dimensions being 18x18x24. It really depends if your tank is more vertical than horizontal. My pixie has no problem with his cage. Although it reaches about 86 degrees in the cage around this time of year (its 97 degrees in CA this week so we have been using the AC) the substrate is still very moist and cool.
    In my other frog is in 10 gallon. i am using a reptigli 2.0 which is 25 watt and keeps the ambient temp of the cage at 82-83 degrees. It works very well and keeps the substrate wet.

I was told that frogs need uvb but i believe this was another way for the pet store convincing me buy more expensive lighting. (another reason i no longer shop there) I do plan to put my frog in a 20 gallon tank and i was also thinking of using plant lighting so that i can grow some tropical plants in there. i need some more research on plant lighting.
    Grif: if you know of any links please share. Ive been changing my direction in lighting and tank setup.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    For me it is an obstacle to privide a warm and cool spot in my tank with the dimensions being 18x18x24. It really depends if your tank is more vertical than horizontal. My pixie has no problem with his cage. Although it reaches about 86 degrees in the cage around this time of year (its 97 degrees in CA this week so we have been using the AC) the substrate is still very moist and cool.
    In my other frog is in 10 gallon. i am using a reptigli 2.0 which is 25 watt and keeps the ambient temp of the cage at 82-83 degrees. It works very well and keeps the substrate wet.

I was told that frogs need uvb but i believe this was another way for the pet store convincing me buy more expensive lighting. (another reason i no longer shop there) I do plan to put my frog in a 20 gallon tank and i was also thinking of using plant lighting so that i can grow some tropical plants in there. i need some more research on plant lighting.
    Grif: if you know of any links please share. Ive been changing my direction in lighting and tank setup.
    86° is pretty high, but not terrible. 85° should be the highest you ever want your tank go. We use our AC too. As long as your tanks aren't near the vents no harm will come to your frogs. Does your lamp have a dimmer switch on the one that reaches 86°? If not then that is something you need so you can warm the tank with the light dialed low.

I don't have any links, but I use Exo-Terra Sun Glo with concentrated beam. This allows me to warm the ambient air without have the bulb dialed up all the way. A Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with dimmer works well or did you say in another post that you had one? Problem is more than likely that its the 100 watt bulb that is causing the temp to get that high. I also use Exo-Terra Heat Glo bulbs for night Time. Heat Glo is an infrared bulb. These are both incandescent heat bulbs and work very well.

the Repti-Glo bulb you're using is a UVB bulb, but its a full spectrum light bulb to stimulate plant growth as well. They are nit necessary for frogs, but shouldn't cause much harm if raised far above the frog and it can hide from it.

The tank you have is a good tank for holding heat and humidity. I have 3 with those dimensions I use for my Males. You can buy these little cooling fan setups that can be hooked up to a timer or a climate control unit that can drawl heat from the enclosure or cool it by blowing air in.

arielgasca420

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    86° is pretty high, but not terrible. 85° should be the highest you ever want your tank go. We use our AC too. As long as your tanks aren't near the vents no harm will come to your frogs. Does your lamp have a dimmer switch on the one that reaches 86°? If not then that is something you need so you can warm the tank with the light dialed low.

I don't have any links, but I use Exo-Terra Sun Glo with concentrated beam. This allows me to warm the ambient air without have the bulb dialed up all the way. A Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with dimmer works well or did you say in another post that you had one? Problem is more than likely that its the 100 watt bulb that is causing the temp to get that high. I also use Exo-Terra Heat Glo bulbs for night Time. Heat Glo is an infrared bulb. These are both incandescent heat bulbs and work very well.

the Repti-Glo bulb you're using is a UVB bulb, but its a full spectrum light bulb to stimulate plant growth as well. They are nit necessary for frogs, but shouldn't cause much harm if raised far above the frog and it can hide from it.

The tank you have is a good tank for holding heat and humidity. I have 3 with those dimensions I use for my Males. You can buy these little cooling fan setups that can be hooked up to a timer or a climate control unit that can drawl heat from the enclosure or cool it by blowing air in.

I did not mean to confuse but the tank at 86 degrees is for my pixie frog. The tank I have my pacman in never goes above 83 degrees.
    I do have a dimmer and an incandescent bulb. I just cannot tell if the dimmer switch works. I do not see any change in light when I dim It down or up. Ill try the dimmer and see if there is any change in temp.
    because we have the AC on today the temp right now in my pixies tank is 82 degrees. I dont have him near a vent or a window, but I do have a fan in my room (standing fan, not ceiling). The only reason I want to get a plant light is because I want some interesting plants to raise the humidity. unfortunately not all cool plants have low light abilities. I had a sundew but it doesnt produce much humidity so I will switch back to pothos, fern and bamboo for now. they are easy to care for and are expendable plants for low light conditions.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    I did not mean to confuse but the tank at 86 degrees is for my pixie frog. The tank I have my pacman in never goes above 83 degrees.
    I do have a dimmer and an incandescent bulb. I just cannot tell if the dimmer switch works. I do not see any change in light when I dim It down or up. Ill try the dimmer and see if there is any change in temp.
    because we have the AC on today the temp right now in my pixies tank is 82 degrees. I dont have him near a vent or a window, but I do have a fan in my room (standing fan, not ceiling). The only reason I want to get a plant light is because I want some interesting plants to raise the humidity. unfortunately not all cool plants have low light abilities. I had a sundew but it doesnt produce much humidity so I will switch back to pothos, fern and bamboo for now. they are easy to care for and are expendable plants for low light conditions.
    Be careful which plants you choose. most are toxic like the sundew and pretty much all carnivorous plants. carnivorous plants will die in coco fiber anyway because they prefer acidic soil that is almost entirely devoid of minerals and nutrients. Also they must be watered with distilled or rain water which you can't just poor in with your frogs due to it being harmful to them in if they sit in it.

Thread Information