Thread: WTF on a hunger strike

eiontay

Default WTF on a hunger strike

I have gotten my WTF for 3 days. When I got him Bob, his/her name, was skinny. Now he is even skinner. I have tried crickets, mealworms, superworms feeder frogs. None is working.

Any ideas to make him start eating? His tank mate is gobbling up whatever I throw in his face.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Charlotte Benedict

Default Re: WTF on a hunger strike

I wish I was writing this to help, but actually I am having the exact same problem. Are yours babies? I have three babies, and 2 of them are voracious eaters, the other sits quietly and ignores the food. I hope someone else chimes in with some help.

eiontay

Mine aren't exactly a baby. I don't know their exact age. But they are about 6-8cm head to their bottom

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

eiontay: How long have you had your two White's Tree Frogs together? Did you get them at the same time? If not, then the new one may still be taking the time to adjust to its new environment. If you've only had your new one for 3 days it sometimes takes a frog longer to adjust then another.

eiontay

I will continue to monitor the situation. Hopefully it gets better

You can also try separating them out. Having one big one that's thriving and getting fat in a cage with one that is not thriving yet can sometimes cause problems, with the thinner one becoming stressed by the larger cage mate. Try separating them and setting up the thin one in its own, simplistic cage to see if that helps. After it gains some weight, put them back together again.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

eiontay

I will set up a 2x1x1(feet) tank for the thinner one. The fatter one seems to be happy in my 1.5feet tank. I take him out to jump about for exercise. He is really fattening up thanks to the mealworms/superworms.

DC101

Try using tweezers or tongs. It worked on day one for me so hopefully it will for you. Just pick up the cricket or what ever by the legs and hand it in front of the frog.
    Tap it on its mouth and it will lunge and eat it. it may make you jump as it did for me because you don't know when they will lunge but just be prepared so you don't hurt the frog.

You can also try using a glass bowl. Or as i do, tong feed them 2 or 3 and leave a few in the bowl so they get used to it. If you just use the bowl, they may not get used to it for a few weeks
    so i tong feed them a few so i know that at least, they have ate something.

Hope this helps!

mrzoggs

i was told by a fellow friend of frogforum that you can wait til your frog sheds, and when its opening its mouth just toss a cricket in there :P i havent tried yet but i think that would be a better alternative to force feeding. so if you catch your frog shedding any time soon toss in a cricket and see where that gets you

Thread Information