Thread: What's in a name?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default What's in a name?

I am a new frog owner and curious, what's the difference between a White's green tree frog, Australian green tree frog, white lipped, dumpy frog or plain green tree frog? I've seen all of these names but what's the difference is there one?

I rescued my frogs from Petco and the sign said White's green tree frog but the receipt said Australian. My Fiona and Shrek are all green with some white spots on their sides and a white belly and lower lip. I have seen "White's" at another store that are all green but have racing stripe down their sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: What's in a name?

There are Indonesian White's Tree Frogs, and Australian White's Tree Frogs. Some of the more noticeable differences between them is that the Indonesian ones are often a pea green color ranging down to brown, and are typically available as imported, wild caught subadult to adult frogs. Australian White's Tree Frogs are always captive bred, and often have a blue or teal hue to them, especially as they get older.

I believe in Australia, they just call White's Tree Frogs "green tree frogs". This may also apply to White Lipped Frogs, which are related to White's Tree Frogs but are NOT White's Tree Frogs.
    White's Tree Frogs (both kinds) are often referred to as "Dumpy Frogs" as well, or as "Buddha Frogs". These are simply common names, often referencing their pudgy appearance.
    America also has green tree frogs, but ours are much smaller, and do not take as well to handling.

The racing stripe *sounds* like it is probably a white lipped, but without seeing them it is hard to be 100% sure. The lines are not a usual marking for White's Tree Frogs/Dumpy Frogs, though.

Lastly, check the latin name. That will always be the most accurate name to go by.

Hope that helps!
    -Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Co, Inc - Your one stop herp shops!
    "Like" us on Facebook for coupons, sales, and updates! - http://www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    Sign up for Reptile Times, a totally FREE e-zine dedicated entirely to reptiles and amphibians!
    http://list.lllreptile.com/?p=subscribe&id=1

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Jen. I've been doing a little reading and I am sure mine are not white lipped. Mine don't have that noticable white lip and their skin is very smooth where the white lipped skin is more textured. I love the name "dumpy frog" as mine do look like little buddhas when they sleep! I read that import from Australia was banned but I could have just been reading a real old book. So since the store called them Australian that's what I'm going with.

Now to just figure out what sex they are.

Kristen

White's green tree frog: Litoria Cearulea (Usually from Indonesia and wild caught like LLLreptiles went over)

Australian green tree frog,
    Litoria Cearulea (If you find these in america they have either been bred from illigally imported animals, or they're just Indonesian. Sometimes look almost blue, like LLLreptiles mentioned. And in Australia they are just green tree frogs to us, not "whites Tree frogs")

white lipped:
    Litoria infrafrenata (These come from both Australia and Indonesia, but once again the ones over seas would be Indonesian. Bigger than a whites and should not be kept with them even though they occur in the same areas)

dumpy frog: Litoria Cearulea (Another name for Litoria Cearulea)

plain green tree frog:
    Hyla cinerea (The american green tree frog, which does have a racing stripe down its side like you discribed. Alot smaller from the other frogs listed)

"
    I read that import from Australia was banned but I could have just been reading a real old book."
    Unfortunately not an old book, we have a law which means no animals go out, and none come in. So we can only have Australian reptiles/amphibians, and you cant have any. Hahah :P

Your frog is probably Litoria Cearulea, It would be noticable if it was any of the others, but if you do have 'doubts' you could post a picture and Im sure people on the forum would know what he/she is

Oh and none of these pictures are mine I got them off the internet!

So Whites tree frogs, Dumpy Tree frogs and Australian green tree frogs are all the same frogs. Just different common names.
    As LLLreptiles said its always best to check the latin name if you're confused

EDIT:
    I just saw you did post a pic of your froggy, and he is infact Litoria Cearulea

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the great pictures and info Kristen! They are definitely Litoria Cearulea. The last picture you posted looks just like the other frogs I saw and they were noticeably smaller than the Litoria. Now that I look Fiona does look a little on the blue side. Her tank mate Shrek is always more of an olive/yellow color, that's because my plants are green and yellow and he likes to sit in them.

Kristen

Thats alright Sasha
    Yeah American Green Tree Frogs are often found in pet stores there and are usually wild caught and cheap. Still gorgeous little frogs though
    Fiona is probably Australian then and Shrek is probably Indonesian, though he could be Australian cause my whites Kevin is Australian (obviously haha) and he is always a dark olive green to brown, and my other Whites Eddie can go yellow when he sits on the peace lily. It's amazing how they can change

Thread Information