Thread: looking to get a Surinam Toad (Pipa pipa) have ?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default looking to get a Surinam Toad (Pipa pipa) have ?

Has anyone ever owned or does own a Surinam Toad (Pipa pipa), was looking to get 1 or 2 . Was looking for info on them and a reliable care sheet. They look so cool and unique I've got to add 1 or 2 to my collection. To be honest I was a breeding pair so I can watch as the female carries the eggs on her back. Any info would be great thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: looking to get a Surinam Toad (Pipa pipa) have ?

out of the 39 people who have looked at this no one has any info?

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't have any info on them, but I've seen them pop up a lot recently at the reptile shows. They are very freaky looking, but I haven't done any extensive research on them as I haven't really given thought to actually keeping one. You could just try Googling: Pipa Pipa Care and see what comes up and go from there. Sorry I can't be of any more help as I've never kept this species.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well unfortunately i already googled it but there really isn't alot on them, especially care sheet wise. I was hoping with all the knowledge on here someone would have some info. Well when i get a pair i'll write up a care sheet, and if they breed maybe someone on here will want one or two. There freakishness is a huge part of the draw.

Jaysommers

There are very few people in the world who have successfully bred Pipa pipa.Even fewer know how to actually do it intentionally. What specifically would you like to know?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have found some basic info but I was looking for some one who has actually cared for them to give me any insight they might have.

Jaysommers

Well that someone would be me.But there is alot that goes into breeding them and it is too much to post on this thread. They are easy to keep.Just put them in an aquarium with aged and dechlorinated water and keep them in the upper 70's. They are very easy captives.I feed Pipa pipa earthworms and an occasional deformed axolotl juvie. I do not use filtration.I do not test or adjust PH. The information out there regarding them needing tannins or soft water is completey false. I keep pairs in 20 gallon tall tanks.I also breed them in those tanks. I have never ever seen Pipa pipa do the breeding roll i have seen described in literature.That is something I have seen P.parva and P.carvalhoi do. My suspicion is that P.pipa doesn't do it and authors just theorized in their writings basing the assumptions off of experience with small Pipa. I can count the number of people I know of,who have breed Pipa pipe( in the whole world) on one hand. To my knowledge I am the only person who has done it multiple times and consistently.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysommers View Post
    Well that someone would be me.But there is alot that goes into breeding them and it is too much to post on this thread. They are easy to keep.Just put them in an aquarium with aged and dechlorinated water and keep them in the upper 70's. They are very easy captives.I feed Pipa pipa earthworms and an occasional deformed axolotl juvie. I do not use filtration.I do not test or adjust PH. The information out there regarding them needing tannins or soft water is completey false. I keep pairs in 20 gallon tall tanks.I also breed them in those tanks. I have never ever seen Pipa pipa do the breeding roll i have seen described in literature.That is something I have seen P.parva and P.carvalhoi do. My suspicion is that P.pipa doesn't do it and authors just theorized in their writings basing the assumptions off of experience with small Pipa. I can count the number of people I know of,who have breed Pipa pipe( in the whole world) on one hand. To my knowledge I am the only person who has done it multiple times and consistently.
    So, would using filtration be okay to use? How often do you do water changes? And what sort of "decorations" do you use in their set ups - if any? A 20 gallon tall would be sufficient for two adult Pipa pipas? Their care sounds pretty much like that of a Budgetts Frog, except Pipas are fully aquatic?

Jaysommers

I keep and breed pairs in 20 gallon tanks. I don't use filtration but you can if you want.I use gravel as a substrate and use no decoration.They are not really that used to hiding in the wild.they usually sit right out in the open on leaf litter. Putting decoration in the tank just takes up space.even when they are on display in zoos with plenty of decoration they usually just sit out in the open. 20 % water change weekly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How long have you had your pipa pipa? Do you sell the offspring? I really appreciate the info, is there anyway you would be willing to write down the breeding procedures, I'd love to be much more educated on the subject before I get a pair. Thanks again Jaysommers

Jaysommers

I have been keeping and breeding pipa for a very long time.20 years.pm me or email me. here are a few pics
    Attached Images Attached Images       

David Pinckney

From the June 2012 Reptiles magazine article by David Lass BEYOND WEIRD Care for the unusually odd Surinam underwater toad.

“SUTs are fairly undemanding to keep. My current pair are in a 29-gallon tank, and I also have 10 of them in a 110-gallon tank, which is a very tall tank. I have never tried them with any kind of substrate, but I have always kept a few pots of plants with them… My water is very soft and acid, and by keeping gypsum and pieces of coral rock in the tanks, I manage to maintain around a neutral PH and moderate hardness. I keep the tank temperature in the mid 70’s, but it gets warmer in the summer and the SUTs have been just fine. They are from South America, but the waters they live in probably do not get much above the high 80’s. I have only one instance of a SUT jumping out of the tank, and fortunately I was right in front of the tank when the toad went airborne. Ever since then, I have always kept their tanks covered. I use outside canister filters on my toad tanks, and maintaining excellent water quality is required to maintain health for these, or any other, aquatic animal.

… I feed my SUTs earthworms and feeder goldfish. Given that I am in the wholesale tropical fish business, I am fortunate to be able to buy boxes of feeder comets and keep them in big tubs. I feed them well, and keep them in good water conditions… SUTs do best without any other tankmates, as eventually they will make a meal of anything in the tank with them.

While I have not yet been fortunate enough to have SUTs pair off and reproduce from the beginning in my tanks, the literature seems to agree that they require tall tanks to execute their “amplexus rise”… and part of their breeding is to be able to have plenty of vertical space.

While I have never had SUTs breed from the get-go for me, I have been fortunate enough to have a female who was carrying babies on her back in various stages of development.

The mother SUT popped out a dozen our more babies over a period of a week or so.

The babies seemed to stay at the water surface, and I removed them to a separate tank to try and rear them. Initially, I did not have much success because I had them in too large a tank and didn’t really know what to feed them. I finally settled on a small plastic goldfish bowl that holds maybe a quart of water. I have been feeding them freeze-dried plankton and finely ground fish food, but the real success came from feeding them baby guppies, the smallest I can find. Every day, I change their water, using water from the parents’ tank. A few of the babies have made it over the hump and now are really doing well, just about doubling in size in tow week period.”

Again, this is not my advice, but rather, excerpts from some written material that I had lying around the house.

Jaysommers

Quote Originally Posted by David Pinckney View Post
    From the June 2012 Reptiles magazine article by David Lass BEYOND WEIRD Care for the unusually odd Surinam underwater toad.

“SUTs are fairly undemanding to keep. My current pair are in a 29-gallon tank, and I also have 10 of them in a 110-gallon tank, which is a very tall tank. I have never tried them with any kind of substrate, but I have always kept a few pots of plants with them… My water is very soft and acid, and by keeping gypsum and pieces of coral rock in the tanks, I manage to maintain around a neutral PH and moderate hardness. I keep the tank temperature in the mid 70’s, but it gets warmer in the summer and the SUTs have been just fine. They are from South America, but the waters they live in probably do not get much above the high 80’s. I have only one instance of a SUT jumping out of the tank, and fortunately I was right in front of the tank when the toad went airborne. Ever since then, I have always kept their tanks covered. I use outside canister filters on my toad tanks, and maintaining excellent water quality is required to maintain health for these, or any other, aquatic animal.

… I feed my SUTs earthworms and feeder goldfish. Given that I am in the wholesale tropical fish business, I am fortunate to be able to buy boxes of feeder comets and keep them in big tubs. I feed them well, and keep them in good water conditions… SUTs do best without any other tankmates, as eventually they will make a meal of anything in the tank with them.

While I have not yet been fortunate enough to have SUTs pair off and reproduce from the beginning in my tanks, the literature seems to agree that they require tall tanks to execute their “amplexus rise”… and part of their breeding is to be able to have plenty of vertical space.

While I have never had SUTs breed from the get-go for me, I have been fortunate enough to have a female who was carrying babies on her back in various stages of development.

The mother SUT popped out a dozen our more babies over a period of a week or so.

The babies seemed to stay at the water surface, and I removed them to a separate tank to try and rear them. Initially, I did not have much success because I had them in too large a tank and didn’t really know what to feed them. I finally settled on a small plastic goldfish bowl that holds maybe a quart of water. I have been feeding them freeze-dried plankton and finely ground fish food, but the real success came from feeding them baby guppies, the smallest I can find. Every day, I change their water, using water from the parents’ tank. A few of the babies have made it over the hump and now are really doing well, just about doubling in size in tow week period.”

Again, this is not my advice, but rather, excerpts from some written material that I had lying around the house.

I don't know who's more to blame for that ridiculous article.Reptiles magazine or the author. Why the author felt he was qualified to write an article on Pipa pipa is beyond me. Why Reptiles Mag published it is not.They are desperate for articles and apparently will publish anything regardless of it's quality. Crushed fish flakes for a carnivorous froglet? A real problem in the hobby.Too many people think they are qualified(who aren't) to write articles and care sheets. It's not that there are not qualified individuals it's that there isn't a quality publication in the U.S. ,that has mass distribution, to put the article in. That is changing though. There is a mag. that is growing and they appear to be dong something right.

David Pinckney

It's not that there are not qualified individuals it's that there isn't a quality publication in the U.S. ,that has mass distribution, to put the article in. That is changing though. There is a mag. that is growing and they appear to be dong something right.
    Okay and what mag is that? I looked at a webpage that listed several dozen herp magazines that exist, or at least existed in the past twenty five years or so, before I bought my subscription for Reptiles. I was hoping for one that focuses on amphibians, but I’m unaware of one.

SkeletalFrog

I don't know who's more to blame for that ridiculous article.Reptiles magazine or the author. Why the author felt he was qualified to write an article on Pipa pipa is beyond me. Why Reptiles Mag published it is not.They are desperate for articles and apparently will publish anything regardless of it's quality. Crushed fish flakes for a carnivorous froglet? A real problem in the hobby.Too many people think they are qualified(who aren't) to write articles and care sheets. It's not that there are not qualified individuals it's that there isn't a quality publication in the U.S. ,that has mass distribution, to put the article in. That is changing though. There is a mag. that is growing and they appear to be dong something right.
    If you can give instructions for both reliably and somewhat easily reproducing pipa pipa in captivity, you can probably submit a write-up to one of the herpetology journals like Herpetological Reviews. Granted most hobbyists don't read it, but it could be really useful - pipa pipa could be a good laboratory species, especially for the developmental biology folks (it's probably close enough to Xenopus for various antibodies etc to work in both).

No idea about hobbyist magazines, though I sorely miss The Vivarium.

fluffypanda

I have a male pipa pipa. Ive been trying to get a female. I found a guy with one and it died just hours before I got there to pick her up. Jaysommers could you sell me a female? or know where I could get a good one?

NatureLady

These guys are on my bucket list of frogs to own! Such amazing frogs!!!!! Thanks for the quality info Jaysommers.

Thread Information