Thread: Breeding Red Eyed Tree Frogs

boa10jeh

Default Breeding Red Eyed Tree Frogs

Hi everyone,
    I have a pair of red eyed tree frogs, a male and female, both adults, and would like to have a go at breeding them. The female is massive and the male calls at night and from what I've read they should be ready to breed. I have a spare vivarium which i plan on turning into a rain chamber for the summer. I have been reading pages online about how best to breed red eyes, but they all give slightly different advice (standard problem with internet caresheets i guess). I was wondering if anyone on here had successfully bred red eyes and could give me any tips, or link me to a sheet that is particularly helpful? I have read about the large number of eggs females can lay, but what actually is the hatching rate, and survival rate of the tadpoles? I'm not overly flushed for space so if theres going to be hundreds surviving to froglets i'll probably have to give it a miss! thanks in advance for any advice!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mrzoggs

Default Re: Breeding Red Eyed Tree Frogs

Quote Originally Posted by boa10jeh View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a pair of red eyed tree frogs, a male and female, both adults, and would like to have a go at breeding them. The female is massive and the male calls at night and from what I've read they should be ready to breed. I have a spare vivarium which i plan on turning into a rain chamber for the summer. I have been reading pages online about how best to breed red eyes, but they all give slightly different advice (standard problem with internet caresheets i guess). I was wondering if anyone on here had successfully bred red eyes and could give me any tips, or link me to a sheet that is particularly helpful? I have read about the large number of eggs females can lay, but what actually is the hatching rate, and survival rate of the tadpoles? I'm not overly flushed for space so if theres going to be hundreds surviving to froglets i'll probably have to give it a miss! thanks in advance for any advice!

well first of all let me say, if you get hundreds of surviving froglests, you can just mail some to me haha

im going to start trying to breed red eyed tree frogs soon also. Just trying to get both of mine healthy and doing good so they will be ready. From what i was told from a RETF breeder you might need more males. a 1.1 ratio might not easily work. The more males the better. And i doubt you will get a hundred surviving froglets your first time. im sure it all depends on the environment and what you feed your frogs and how well you have turned your habitat into a "natural" RETF habitat. you might be lucky and get a dozen or so from what im guessing. i havent done any research on how many you will get per batch, but if every female was laying hundreds of eggs per every time she layed eggs...id imagine there would be more red eyed tree frogs in the world than we would know what to do with.

Thread Information