Thread: need clawed frog advice asap

tarralb

Default need clawed frog advice asap

Hi,

I work at a school, and for science they got a shipment of dwarf frogs in. I took one home...then started realizing it looked nothing like a dwarf frog. He is a smooth graphite gray color and def. does not have webed front feet. He is about the size of a dwarf frog at the moment. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a betta and a real dwarf frog. Now I am in a situation because I don't know what to do with him. I know he will outgrow this tank.

My question at the moment is, will he be ok with the dwarf frog and betta for now? When do I need to start to worry? Also, any ideas on places that might take him? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: need clawed frog advice asap

Quote Originally Posted by tarralb View Post
    Hi,

I work at a school, and for science they got a shipment of dwarf frogs in. I took one home...then started realizing it looked nothing like a dwarf frog. He is a smooth graphite gray color and def. does not have webed front feet. He is about the size of a dwarf frog at the moment. He is in a 5 gallon tank with a betta and a real dwarf frog. Now I am in a situation because I don't know what to do with him. I know he will outgrow this tank.

My question at the moment is, will he be ok with the dwarf frog and betta for now? When do I need to start to worry? Also, any ideas on places that might take him? Thanks!
    They grow pretty fast. He'd probably eat the ADF first, I guess when he's gone you know.. lol.

5 gallon is way too small regardless for any of those creatures especially all 3.. but yeah I'd separate as soon as possible.

If I lived close by I'd take him off your hands!

emberlisa

Since he's probably an african claw frog, I would remove him right away. He could have a growth spirt at any time, even like over night, and he'll eat the others.

KINGblackPHINEX

You could if you want get him his own tank and keep him and take care of him or try to sell him to a pet store or... give him to a friend or smoething if you do not want him...

SailAwayAK

I actually keep a tank in my classroom when we are in session. Sadly, this is actually how I have gotten all of my ACF's. Mistakes and then teachers ending up with frogs that they don't want to keep. I understand the situation. I have an in with a local aquarium store that calls when they get them in. If I can't keep them I try to add them to classrooms. Frogs are part of our first grade cirriculum but teachers here can keep aquariums but not other frog tanks. Weird.

Good luck finding a home. It could be fun for you all to watch it grow. I would get a 20 gallon tank and take it to a classroom and home.

PHYSCODELIC63

I was really torked my pre school I worked in got the african albino clawed as a donation, they kept the poor thing in a very small tank, looked like a globe with a huge gold fish for a while. someone took the fish, thankgod! I got stuck cleaning his tank every week. the orginal owners said I'm so sick of cleaning his tank and taking care of this thing, I tried to kill it off several times..so when it came time that it was going to be left in the school for 2 wks with no food and heat, I said it's mine here is 10$ I took him home! I figured hey, I cleaned his tank, they didn't care about him they were even going to take him and turn him loose in a pond!
    I would love to have another frog maybe? I don't know.. I would really have to think on it.

Thread Information