Thread: Help! Tree frog keeps 'screaming', trying to escape and some other issues :/

Sanguine

Default Help! Tree frog keeps 'screaming', trying to escape and some other issues :/

Hi everyone!
    Recently I purchased a green tree frog. All was well at first, but after about a week it started behaving erratically, such as making sudden squeaking/screaming noises at night for short periods of time and trying to get out of its tank. It has successfully escaped twice now, but each time I managed to find it and place it back.
    After these incidents, I have subsequently changed the top of the tank so that it is more secure and it has proved to be effective.
    Also, I think it has scuffed its snout several times while it keeps crawling up and down the sides of the tank and hopping about whilst trying to escape.
    There is no bleeding whatsoever but the green epidermis seems to be worn away and it looks really raw :/ This can be seen from the photos attached.

Lastly, its hind legs and belly seem a little reddish/purplish too. Is this simply pigmentation and hence benign or could it be signs of red leg? Even so, it is extremely restless and active since it's still looking for a way out of the tank!
    Diet wise, it is eating well and had regular bowel movement too.

Details of the surroundings are as such: Temperature around 24-30 deg celsius, enclosure is about 25x18x20cm (LengthxBreadthxHeight), it is the only inhabitant, the water used is dechlorinated by leaving to stand for a few days, tree bark is used for substrate, false plants and cleaned branches from the pet store which I bought the frog from are used, the tank is placed in a relatively quiet area, lights are off for about 10 hours a day and I hardly handle it.

Thanks so much!

Name:  frog1.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  76.9 KBName:  P1030195.jpg
Views: 3207
Size:  61.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help! Tree frog keeps 'screaming', trying to escape and some other issues :/

I do not keep green tree frogs.
    However , I will try to get things going.
    If you could ( cut and paste) answer the questions in the link below it will really help.

What is the humidity level ? Very important

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

It is likely you will have to change the substrate to "tropical soil" as I don't think the tree bark is appropriate--- it can cause impaction if it is ingested.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Sanguine

Default Re: Help! Tree frog keeps 'screaming', trying to escape and some other issues :/

I'm not very sure about the humidity but from where I'm from the weather's pretty much humid by itself already, and I do sprinkle water in its enclosure frequently.

Your tank seems tiny, how big is the frog?

What hard surfaces are on the inside of the tank for it to rub its nose against while trying to find an escape? You need to do something to change this restless behavior to prevent further damage, but in the meantime if you can change what it's scraping itself against that would help.

Sanguine

That's precisely the problem, its knocking itself against the inner surface of the tank! And it's not just one specific area either.
    Hmm, its about 5cm in length. Also, is the reddish colour abnormal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    That's precisely the problem, its knocking itself against the inner surface of the tank! And it's not just one specific area either.
    Hmm, its about 5cm in length. Also, is the reddish colour abnormal?
    Your frog is way to big for that tank. You might want to give Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea a read. It recommends an ~80L tank for an adult (the more the merrier though). Your tank is about 9L and your frog isn't far off from a full sized male.

The reddish colour could just be caused from it climbing on the glass all the time. Is it still red after it's been resting for awhile? Was it this red when you first got it? Hopefully someone more experienced with frog diseases will comment.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is the frog captive bred or wild caught?
    What accents do you have to create where a tree frog lives? Items such as branches, tall broad leaf plants, and vines come to mind.

What do you use to clean the surfaces in the tank and what is your water source? After you clean do you rinse with dechlorinated water to remove chances of chemical residue from the cleaning products?

If your frog has no place to feel secure and hidden, it is going to attempt to escape to find those places. Also, is the tank in a high traffic or low traffic area? Sudden disturbances from outside the tank such as loud noises or sudden movements will make the acclimation process longer.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

He looks fine to be besides the sores, poor thing. You see a lot of this at reptile. Shows. They are crammed in small containers and rub themselves raw. I think the main issue is definitely space and the substrate. He needs soft things, sphagnum moss is great to have at the bottom. I have an 18x18x24 inch tank. He is really stressed out, I would make the changes fast. Good luck

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Sanguine

Ah the pet shop owner told me it was fine :/
    That's a relief! Would a 10 gallon tank suffice? I'm a little pressed for space too. Yup, there are areas for it to hide in. Also, if I move it soon do you think the sores would heal by themselves?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

A ten would be fin if you can set it up vertically so he has room to climb up higher into the tank.
    If you can not set it up vertially, the ten will be fine but if you can get something taller where you can get some taller plants into the tank he would be happier. Tall plants like Snake Plant, Bromeliads, or similar (should be common in your area) would be great. You can even just set the plant in with its planting pot as long as you clean the plant and replace the soil with some pet type substrate as the plants soil. Eco Earth, organic potting soil with NO fertilizer, or crushed coco fiber would work great. I even put a small layer of stones at the bottom of the pot to add weight and allow for good drainage of the soil.

Check out some of the members photo lmums for some ideas on setting up something more natural.

Hope this helps

Oh, and the would will heal over time.

Sanguine

Aight, I'll probably go and get a larger tank tomorrow. Thanks everyone! Hopefully it'll stop all its head banging after that :0

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine View Post
    Aight, I'll probably go and get a larger tank tomorrow. Thanks everyone! Hopefully it'll stop all its head banging after that :0
    Get a Zoo Med Naturalistic Terrarium 12"x12"x18" or a Exo-Terra of that size maybe a little wider, but 18 inch height should be high enough. Like was said by members above, Tree Frogs need tall tanks so they can climb up high. This is where they feel secure and buy a hygrometer so you know how high humidity is in the tank. Even though the ambient room humidity may be fine it may not be the same within the tank because the tank will have a seperate little microclimate that needs to be maintained and monitored.

Exo-terras are very pricey here. As with most of my fellow countrymen, research is off the list of must dos, even though it is absolutely crucial. Nose blunt will heal quickly in clean conditions.

InfinitysDaughter

If you can an 18x18x24 is the best. I have a 12x12x18 and my whites gets a little restless at times and seems like she dosn't have enough room. But if its all you could aford at the time, get the smaller for now. Its much bigger then what you have and will help the little one settle down to have the extra space.

You may try the terrarium forum here for some pointers about tanks. There are several people who have converted inexpensive horizontal tanks into large vertical tanks for a lot less money then it would cost to buy the larger tank.

Thread Information