Thread: bloated xenoups, and they stay by the surface

bianchina

Default bloated xenoups, and they stay by the surface

Hello everybody, I own 6 ACFs (xenopus laevis) I fed yesterday evening with a good amount of food. Now they're bloated, I suppose only because of the food, and tend to stay by the surface more than they often do. Need I worry about that? Should I put them into a saline solution?
    Thanks a lot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SailAwayAK

Default Re: bloated xenoups, and they stay by the surface

When I had this a few weeks ago I would do a Epsom salt bath to start off. 1 tbs. of Epsom salts to 5 gallons of water. I do this in a bucket and let the frog soak for an hour or so. Repeat every 24 hours. This does help to relieve some of the pressure. It doesn't cure bacterial issues.

Remember that this frogger should probably not be fed for a few days. Not feeding her won't hurt her. These frogs can easily go 10 days without feedings.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Quote Originally Posted by bianchina View Post
    Hello everybody, I own 6 ACFs (xenopus laevis) I fed yesterday evening with a good amount of food. Now they're bloated, I suppose only because of the food, and tend to stay by the surface more than they often do. Need I worry about that?
    No, it's normal in my experience.

Should I put them into a saline solution?
    No, it's not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SailAwayAK View Post
    When I had this a few weeks ago I would do a Epsom salt bath to start off. 1 tbs. of Epsom salts to 5 gallons of water. I do this in a bucket and let the frog soak for an hour or so. Repeat every 24 hours. This does help to relieve some of the pressure. It doesn't cure bacterial issues.
    There's no substantial evidence that bianchina's frogs are ill or that there are any bacterial issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SailAwayAK View Post
    These frogs can easily go 10 days without feedings.
    Well-fed frogs have sufficient reserves to survive for many months without starving to death.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello everybody, I own 6 ACFs (xenopus laevis) I fed yesterday evening with a good amount of food. Now they're bloated, I suppose only because of the food, and tend to stay by the surface more than they often do. Need I worry about that? Should I put them into a saline solution?
    Thanks a lot.
    Do you have pictures? Sounds like they just have full bellies.. full frogs will look plump for a while.. I don't think you have anything to worry about, my frogs like to cling to floating plants and bask some times when they rest. They like to rest at the surface of the water with their nose sticking out, it's perfectly normal as far as I can tell.

SailAwayAK

Never said they had a bacterial issues. All I said was that epsom salts do not treat or cure bacterial bloat. There are two different types, one that might need some help stimulating pooping just like in sedentary old people, and one that is bacterial. I just don't want someone reading this in future saying that epsom salt will take care of bacterial bloat.

Likelihood is hers are pigging out. They do that. Do I think she needs to be overly worried? No. Not for a few days. But it has been two days, since her posting, and IF her frog is still floating it might help with the pressure. Epsom Salts, correct me if I am wrong, have not be shown to damage a frogs system so no harm no foul.

I know they can go longer without feedings. They dig into mud in the wild and can go for years. Do I need to get that technical? Nope. I have seen frogs go for many months without starving to death but there are weight loss issues. Most of us wouldn't want to buy ones that were that skinny and would begin to claim they were unhealthy. At 10-14 days I haven't seen weight loss issues, so yeah, it can go longer without food.

Thread Information