Thread: From former Bx Zoo Herpetologist: Pet Frogs Used to Fund Conservation – a promising strategy

findiviglio

Default From former Bx Zoo Herpetologist: Pet Frogs Used to Fund Conservation – a promising strategy

Hi All,

Decades of work in zoos and the pet trade has, I believe, given me a unique perspective on the contributions that each can make to amphibian conservation. Over the years, I have been greatly influenced by the work of private keepers who, in some cases, bred rare species long before zoos. Indeed, numerous husbandry techniques used in zoos originated in the private sector. In general, however, the pet trade focuses on pets and conservationists focus on conservation. But Wikiri, an enterprise formed to support amphibian conservation and research, combines the best of both worlds by using captive-bred frogs to promote its goals. In doing so, Wikiri has broken new ground in addressing the amphibian extinction crisis. Read article here: Pet Trade Frogs Fund Conservation - Wikiri

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information