Thread: difference between roaches

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default difference between roaches

What is the difference between orange head roaches and dubia roaches, which is better? any down side to either?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: difference between roaches

Blaptica dubia and Eublaberus posticus are both fantastic feeders and have a remarkably similar nutrional content; that being said there are a few differences to be noted in their behavior, etc.

Firstly, the size of the nymphs. I've taken a photo of an orange head nymph of the same instar as B. dubia in the cup:

As you can see, the Orange Head nymph (maroon color) is notably larger. They are a much meatier species, which in my opinion, may be better... better to meat to shell ratio?

That being said, Orange Head roaches are a little needier than B. dubia. They do not fair as well in high density colonies: this species is actually quite cannibalistic and will readily consume one another's wings and even freshly molted individuals and newborn offspring for two reasons 1) Too crowded, 2) not enough moisture in the diet. You absolutely must have a fresh supply of water crystals available at all times for orange head roaches. Just look at what happens when you add a fresh batch:

In addition, I find Orange Heads a little livlier than dubia - this makes them a little easier to feed to those herps who are stimulated by movement. BUT - orange heads, especially the nymphs, will burrow. They will burrow in loose substrate quite readily if given the chance, so if you use a particulate substrate consider bowl feeding. Dubia will also cover themselves in loose substrate, but will not burrow nearly as readily or as deep as orange head nymphs.

As far as care goes otherwise, they have identical needs... and they also reproduce at roughly the same rate (I do think B. dubia are just ever so slightly more prolific, but the difference is minute). Just keep in mind that Orange heads do like their salads and water crystals, and need a little extra attention as far as space and feeding goes.

Also, not sure if it would make a difference, but all orange head adults look the same at a glance. Males and females are not sexually dimorphic like dubia where males have obvious wings and females only have stubs. All Orange Head adults look like this:

Finally, Orange Heads do have a defensive odor, emitted from the abdomen. It honestly does not smell bad in my opinion, kind of like overripe/funky fruit or something and it only truly noticable in larger colonies when you are disturbing them (moving the egg flats around, etc).

Both are great...I am kind of biased toward the Eublaberus genus because they are some of my favorites to keep in hobby and feed (E. posticus, distanti and 'ivory'). The Orange Heads will also be more expensive to obtain.

Where in Ohio are you located, if you don't mind me asking?
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

4. This member thanks JeffreH for this post:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the great info! I live near toledo oh.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Where in Ohio are you Jeff?

Nationality
    [United States]

One additional note - The orange heads do have slightly larger barbs on their legs. The difference it almost unnoticable and it will not pose a problem for your animals; but I have picked up an adult orange head or two that poked me just right to cause minor dermal irritation. You can notice in the photo comparison of the orange head nymph and dubia nymphs how the little spikes differ. The Eublaberus genus is full of little 'bulldozers'...their so cute = )

I'm in Dayton, outside of the city surrounded by soybeans and corn. Nice to meet a fellow buckeye in the hobby! Although I am a little disappointed with Ohio's recent legislation against Reptiles with SB 310. It's a shame that so many states are pushing against our hobby and I fear amphibians will be a target next once they get their foot in the door.
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

Thread Information