Thread: Crickets hiding in tree frog enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Crickets hiding in tree frog enclosure

A couple of weeks ago I made a terrarium/vivarium for my tree frogs -- one for 2 green tree frogs, the other for 2 young white's tree frogs. Both have leaf litter and sheet moss as the final layer. Both have one width of tree fern panels on each side and a background on the back.

The problem is I find crickets hiding behind the tree fern panels (which have a little gap -- tried to get them flush with the side but there's still a little gap), under some of the sheet moss, and around the leaves. I see 4 or 5 crickets hiding in the White's enclosure mainly behind the tree fern panels -- haven't seen any in the green tree frog's enclosure but have seen crickets go under the sheet moss.

What can I do to close the gap with the tree fern panels -- maybe put some coconut fiber back there? I can try to rearrange the moss so that the crickets have less of an opportunity to get under it -- should I take out the leaves? There is coconut fiber beneath the leaf litter layer.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. I'm worried about my White's -- they seem to be getting a little thinner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

InfinitysDaughter

Default Re: Crickets hiding in tree frog enclosure

You could remove the leaf litter and I dont know what fern panels are but I could assume you could put coconut fiber behind it or moss on the side to somewhat seal it but you could also get a small glass or porcelain dish and put the crickets in there when you feed. The crickets cant get out because the sides are too slick so the frogs can go right for them. Try looking in the small animal (rabbit, ferret, ect) area of your pet store. I know petsmart has a variety of porcelain feeding dishes for small animals that would work really well.

You could leave the setup how it is and use flying insects as food, as they only want to escape when inside a tank so barely ever settle on the floor and walk all over the glass, so your frogs can see them and catch them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You might consider removing the tree fern completely. ( actually, it could scratch their faces )
    If you want a dark background, you could paint the glass on the outside? This way you can keep the in glass clean on the inside.
    Just think how contaminated the tree fern will be after the frogs have peed on it a few times!! This is exactly how frogs get sick!

You could feed the crickets on the substrate AND in a clear class bowl w/ about a 3" side.
    -clear so the frogs can see the crickets through the bowl
    -3" so the crickets can not climb out

After they learn to use the bowl you will not longer have to feed on the substrate.
    They will get hang of the bowl very quickly. However, be sure you see them on/in the bowl before you discontinue feeding on the substrate.

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    You might consider removing the tree fern completely. ( actually, it could scratch their faces )
    If you want a dark background, you could paint the glass on the outside? This way you can keep the in glass clean on the inside.
    Just think how contaminated the tree fern will be after the frogs have peed on it a few times!! This is exactly how frogs get sick!

You could feed the crickets on the substrate AND in a clear class bowl w/ about a 3" side.
    -clear so the frogs can see the crickets through the bowl
    -3" so the crickets can not climb out

After they learn to use the bowl you will not longer have to feed on the substrate.
    They will get hang of the bowl very quickly. However, be sure you see them on/in the bowl before you discontinue feeding on the substrate.

Thanks for the info. I read that tree fern is a good "substrate" for mosses and such and with enough light it would be covered within a couple of months. For the White's, I have a Exo Terra styrofoam background in there, the tree fern is on the sides near the bottom. For the green tree frogs, I have a Zoo Med cork background -- is that safe? They like to sleep on top of it.

A feeding bowl does sound good, but wouldn't the crickets jump out of the bowl?

Nationality
    [United States]

Bump -- needing some info on the feeding bowl and if the crickets jump out -- or, do you pull a leg off them so they can't get out?

Lemcneill

I have a small glass dish about 2-3" high and no crickets have gotten out. It seems to work wonderfully.

Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    Bump -- needing some info on the feeding bowl and if the crickets jump out -- or, do you pull a leg off them so they can't get out?
    Ack, I hate crickets but that's a bit cruel don't you think?! It's bad enough they have to die but torture I don't think so!! Lol

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

DC101

Yes, Lauren is right. Crickets are so stupid that they think there is no need to jump out. And its too slippery for them to climb.

Good luck

Thread Information