Thread: Breeding Green Tree Frogs (Whites tree frog)

DC101

Default Breeding Green Tree Frogs (Whites tree frog)

Hello everyone!

I was going to get red eyed tree frogs and i did loads of research about them but I've changed my mind and im going to get some green tree frogs.

I would like to breed them, but im not sure what i need to do. Is it similar to breeding red eyes?

I know all about rain chambers but do these frogs need one?

Also, do i need to put them through a dry and wet season where i stack them with food, lower the misting and then after 2 weeks, mist heavily and them move into the rain chamber after about another week?

Thanks guys! Help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DC101

Default Re: Breeding Green Tree Frogs (Whites tree frog)

Anyone?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

DC101,
    Have you checked out Kurt's care sheet on them? He recommends misting them once a day in the evening. As far as breeding them? If you're fortunate enough to get a male and female, being difficult to sex, with a proper environment set up for them, I don't think that you would have a problem with nature taking it's course.
    Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

DC101

Cool , but do i need to cycle them. How do i do that?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what you mean by cycling, as in seasonal changes? I have Axototl's and fish so at first I was thinking of cycling tank water Let's see, it's winter downunder, so I would follow the natural daylight hours right now. About 4 weeks before your spring, I would drop the temperatures a few degrees, not too much. Then gradually bring them up along with the daylight time. I would also mist them two or three times a day. Make sure they have a soaking dish. If you have a pair, I would think that would do the trick. I have done this for other species, but as I said I don't have the "White's" yet and don't know if they respond differently. Good Luck.
    Karen from Montana
    The Reasons that I have to Work:
    1.2.0 - Equine - Butter Baby, Freedom
    0.1.0 - Feline - Cassie
    3.1.0 - Canine - 1 Min Schnauzer, AJ
    1 Lhasa Apso/Poodle X, DaniLyn
    2 Giant Schnauzers, Trucker & Trooper
    0.0.4 - Axolotls - Hewey, Lewey & Dewey, Angel & Fire
    0.1.0 - Hermann's Tortoise - Ari
    0.0.3 - Bufo Boreals - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod
    1.0.0 - Humanus Maritus - Ron

DC101

Thanks mshine1217!

Im going to get 4 green tree frogs (whites tree frog) but i won't know what sex they are because they will be young. Hopefully i'll have a good balance

Anyways, anyone else breed green tree frogs (whites) and know the best way to do it?

bshmerlie

Another thing that seems to help is to time it with your rainy season. I'm not sure if frogs can sense the air pressure of storms but I have found it helps. Wait for a storm to roll in and then mist like crazy.

DC101

Thanks Cheri, good advice.

Anyone else know about the cycling?

Nationality
    [United States]

The way to tell male and female whites is the male whites have a darker chin and extra toe pads to grip the female i do believe. dont know about the cycles though.

mrzoggs

I am glad you decided to go with green tree frogs as your first frog. Red eyes are fairly delicate and some beginner frog keepers have had a hard time with them being their first frogs. Green tree frogs are more hardy and probably less expensive so it would be easier to learn from those. Thats just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Another thing that seems to help is to time it with your rainy season. I'm not sure if frogs can sense the air pressure of storms but I have found it helps. Wait for a storm to roll in and then mist like crazy.
    this is correct. from what i understand you have better chances of putting them inside a rain chamber when a storm is about to approach. and from what i was told by a very smart zoologist, frogs can sense when there is a storm. Mine seem to call more when there is a storm. Not sure about your frogs but Red eyes DO need a rain chamber. unless you mist them a ton and that might work in some cases if your lucky. but when you mist a ton you will have all the water in the bottom of your substrate and it might get messy. its easiest just to buy a pump and recirculate the water.

Quote Originally Posted by StickyFrogfeet View Post
    The way to tell male and female whites is the male whites have a darker chin and extra toe pads to grip the female i do believe. dont know about the cycles though.
    The males develop nubital pads during breeding season which help them grib the female when mating. there is a picture somewhere that someone posted. Im sure you can google it. take a look at the top of your own hands. not think about if your thumbs were missing and you just had 4 fingers. now imagine thats what a frog looks like. well right where your thumbs are, pads appear during mating season. thats the best way i can explain it lol

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by DC101 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I was going to get red eyed tree frogs and i did loads of research about them but I've changed my mind and im going to get some green tree frogs.

I would like to breed them, but im not sure what i need to do. Is it similar to breeding red eyes?

I know all about rain chambers but do these frogs need one?

Also, do i need to put them through a dry and wet season where i stack them with food, lower the misting and then after 2 weeks, mist heavily and them move into the rain chamber after about another week?

Thanks guys! Help is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
    When you Are/were researching red eyed tree frogs make sure the information your looking at is for the Australian ones (litoria chloris)
    also, with breeding the green tree frogs, like people have mentioned do it when its rainy. I was told to get a big container and cut a section out of the lid and cover it with mesh. Have the bottom of the container covered with water with some fake plants. Also put a big rock in there and somethingto hide under (a log) but still with enough space in the water for breeding. When it's warm and raining put them outside slightly undercover (put ALOT of food in there in a glass bowl) and leave them. Try no to let the temp get lower than 18 degrees celcius. Apparently you can leave them in there for a while and only disturb them when you feed (by a while I mean a few days, just make sure th temp doesn't drop) I've done this with my marsh frogs and it worked a treat
    I dont know what state your in and if your in somewhere colder like Victoria you wouldn't be able to do it I don't think. I don't know if this works with green tree frogs but if your in Queensland it would be great to try

DC101

Hey Kristen, thanks.

I live in Adelaide and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

No need for a new tank, no pump to make rain, awesome!

Thread Information