Thread: New bullfrog tadpole, advice welcome.

Golden Gazelle

Default New bullfrog tadpole, advice welcome.

I just picked up a new bullfrog tadpole from my job(PetSmart). I currently have him with my 3 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. I will probably move the goldfish to a 10 gallon and set the 30 up as his permanent home. I've been feeding him fish flakes, and I also have aquatic reptile pellets that I have been trying to give him as well. my question is, should I feed him something different, and how can I tell he's even eating? other than that, any advice on the little guys care would be great. picture will come, I just need to take them off my phone. also, his name is Polio.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: New bullfrog tadpole, advice welcome.

When I was in petsmart the other day getting coco bricks, I asked the nice lady if they can get african bullfrogs as I heard other petsmarts in BC have them. she was about to say something and this troll like lady walks up, really rudely and arrogantly cuts her off and says no bullfrogs are illegal and invasive and no again. I say i am talking about African bullfrogs and she is thinking of the American ones. She was so arrogant in her back and forth to me I pointed to the care brochures they have and told her read the "pyxie frog" one. This woman was actually the same to me and my friend way back when we came looking for a thermostat and she didnt even know what one was. just an insucure mean looking lady working at a petsmart where tortoises die in pain while she walks around with a corn snake around her neck trying to impress people.

Nationality
    [Canada]

not directed to you in anyway it just relates to your post. im sure you are not the same as you are willing to learn and do it properly. Id try fish flakes but dont over feed. and dryed letus iv heard works well. search bullfrog tadpole care. they take quite awhile to morph aswell

Golden Gazelle

I assumed it was not directed at me Nodnarb(Brandon?). I'm actually really impressed with my Petsmart so far. most of the people who work in the pet care section are very knowledgeable and try to find a happy medium for the pets between good husbandry and easy maintenance. There are a few people who are under common misconceptions about reptiles and amphibians, but they're still good people, just been in the business too long to learn modern husbandry. And somebody made the mistake of feeding a baby garter snake grown crickets. I was unfortunate enough to find the snake with a hole chewed in the side of it's belly where the cricket escaped.

I actually came into possession of the tadpole, not because it was on sale, but because the poor guy got scooped up with the goldfish at the supplier. t's actually an american bullfrog. Where I live in New Jersey the Petsmarts aren't willing to deal with the laws pertaining to most exotic species, so we don't get any african bullfrogs in. if we do get something in that we are not supposed to, it typically goes home with an employee. and I have looked online, I found you should feed them tadpole food, but we have no such food at any local pet store. The best privately owned pet store in the area actually went out of business last month. Other than that, I was just curious about tips that maybe people picked up through experience.

Nationality
    [Canada]

theres been a huge thing with bullfrogs here, my city spent $20 000 on reducing them and got it only grew the next year they say. I felt like I asked to buy a hand grenade, she got offended I was looking for a bullfrog and was certian African bullfrogs are illegal here (which theyre not). I bought mine here but petsmart would be way cheaper. what are the laws where your petsmart is? is it illegal to keep all bullfrogs there? I read it was a kid in the 70s brought a bucket of tads to a lake in my city from the other side of canada and thats how it started.

Nationality
    [Canada]

and I like the way you think. noones read my name backwards yet hahaha

Golden Gazelle

The laws of frogs here are actually super lenient, you just need a permit for exotic species(which are even some native species). Bullfrogs are actually legal to keep. We have large enough fresh water fish and turtles that their population is suitably thinned, in fact, for every 30 or so green/leopard/pickerel, I find, I'll find maybe 2 bullfrogs. Other than that, NJ just has some pretty strict import laws for pet stores. it's mostly to prevent the risk of invasive species. and you can't buy turtles here, but you can own them, which is a little weird.

I don't even know what made me think to read your name backwards haha.

You said you wanted to make the 30 gallon his permanent home?

If i remember correctly, that's a little small to be permanent. I think an adult bullfrog needs at least 55 gallons (maybe more)

Golden Gazelle

Quote Originally Posted by Kickinwing View Post
    You said you wanted to make the 30 gallon his permanent home?

If i remember correctly, that's a little small to be permanent. I think an adult bullfrog needs at least 55 gallons (maybe more)
    Permanent for now is really what I meant. I've read they need up to 75 gallons. since I work at Petsmart, I meet a lot of people with tanks and I also get a discount, so once I have the space it wont be hard to move up in size.

froggyman

Picture please I also have a bullfrog tadpole, I think :/

bzzimabee

In a similar situation i work at a petsmart in Wisconsin and found a tadpole (Bubbles) a month ago, I've been feeding it algee wafers and the zoo med aquatic frog/tadpole food

Thread Information