Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New baby!

cyris69

Default New baby!

I just got back from the Indianapolis MidWest Reptile show and got myself a half dollar sized baby I hope its a male!

I will get some photos up soon once I let him relax from the car ride and new enclosure. So excited to finally have both a giant and dwarf pixie Almost got a freaking HUGE tomato frog (~6") but just don't have the money.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cyris69

Default Re: New baby!

Pyxicephalus adspersus by Cyris69, on Flickr

Or check him out on my website Vigo » Frogland\
    I'm assuming way to young to sex but I have a feeling that it will be a female, I hope male but either way I'm so glad I got him to finally complete my froggy collection.

He is quite the aggressive eater and wasted no time taking down a large cricket from across his 2gal tank. I know he is a little over 1 month old.

cyris69

Well, he seems to enjoy fingers quite a bit as well I was doing my before bedtime rounds and there was still a cricket in there he was trying to catch so I was poking the cricket to move it toward him. He didn't seem to pay much attention to the cricket than he had my finger and got be about 4 times in quick recession then got the cricket. It was rather cute, I think he will be an easy tong feeder.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Mine is a very easy tong feeder I got bit today drew blood lol love mine he's awesome yours is so cute a little hard to believe 20 days ago mine was smaller than that now he's outgrown a 10g :-/
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal
    2-Green Iguanas- LeeRoy and Spike
    2- Sulcata Torts- Chunk and Scoot
    1-Argentine BWxRed Tegu-Kirby

6. This member thanks Deac77 for this post:

cyris69

Wow, I'm so excited! (not about being bit hard later on) though I can't wait to have another blob hopping around! I bought a used 20gal long for $7 just for the occasion.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yea I am about to get one this week and move him up (hoping he's a male)
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

cyris69

What are the tell-tell signs to differentiate a dwarf from a giant? This little guy was sold at the show as a giant with correct scientific name. He still looks similar to my dwarf, he has lighter coloration on his sides and an overall lighter appearance.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post
    What are the tell-tell signs to differentiate a dwarf from a giant? This little guy was sold at the show as a giant with correct scientific name. He still looks similar to my dwarf, he has lighter coloration on his sides and an overall lighter appearance.
    You definitely have a Giant (adspersus). I went to the Indianapolis show on Sunday (3rd) as well! I think I may have picked up the "huge" tomato frog? LOL. He was the only one I saw there. I didn't see any Pyxie frogs, so the guy you picked up must have been the only one? The person I got my Tomato Frog from also had some cute baby pacmans (albino & green). My boyfriend talked me out of getting the green one. I still think $25 was reasonable for a little pacman. He also kept me from bringing home all the frogs I basically wanted. LOL!

There's also a good poster online that I had found some time ago that REALLY helps tell the difference between the two species, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I'll continue searching and if I find it I will definitely post it.

11. This member thanks toxxxickitten for this post:

cyris69

Yeah, I was so tempted to get that tomato frog is was beautiful and huge (also one hell of a deal for the price and size) but my eye was set on a pixie. I spoke with Mostly Reptiles prior to the show and they brought the pixie and pacmans on my behalf since no one brings frogs anymore. They held the pixie for me so I got lucky. I almost got the albino but after already owning two pacs they are quite boring compared to pixies.

I'd love to see that tomato all puffed up get some picture

The petsmart here sells pacs for $15 which is the main reason I didn't pick up one of his.

You can check the vendor out here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mostl...48032268598433

Thanks for your search for that poster!
    Yeah I feel you if I had a job I would have bought everything too but my girlfriend would have killed me. I have an interview Monday so hopefully I will be able to afford my addiction soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yup, that is who I talked to! They just had a card with an e-mail and no website or anything listed on it. Thanks for the FB link! I like to keep the previous owners up to date when I can so they know the critter is being well taken care of.

I posted some new pictures on my thread I started. He's semi-puffed up. I didn't want to stress him out too much. I got him for $5 less then the table price. You really don't see adults for sale that often and a Tomato Frog had been on my want list for a little while!

I don't go to the local PetSmart around here for a few reasons. If my boyfriend decides to do the "pet shop rounds" as I call them (We visit several pet stores in the area just to see what's there), then I will see what prices are on some of the Pacmans or wait "patiently" until the next reptile show. lol. I want to try to get one of each morph.

I'm still looking for that poster...

cyris69

Working on his 29gallon tank. Just finished caulking the bowed 4inch high plexiglass aquatic section. So I hope its sealed since I've never done it before, though won't know for 24 hours

I'm thinking I might put my big dwarf in there for the time being and leave him in the 2.5gal for another month but the way I have the tank separated he will have ~12 gallons of burrow space so maybe just move him in when it's done. The underwater 3gallon filter came today so I'm going to do a test fill with water and have the filter going to make sure there are no leaks.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'd be surprised if he lasted a month in a 2.5 gal mines gotten big very very fast
    -Tyler
    1-African BullFrog-Rex
    1-Bearded Dragon-Stubble
    1-Vield Chameleon-Pascal

cyris69

He has seemed to nearly double in size since I got him 5 days ago. He is off and on with tong feeding and I want him to not work too hard for his food.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Adorable, nice color!

18. This member thanks daltar08 for this post:

cyris69

Thanks! Ok here is the tank so far. I needs a bit more substrate and plants. I bow divided almost half the tank and made the water level 4 inches high ~4.5 gallons of water. Since I had to transfer my scorpions to a 20gal long I reused their substrate in here. I skimmed off the top 2" of coco from their tank and used what was below. Wondering what plants I want to put in here that are safe, are there any aquatic plants I can add? I'd love a lilly pad

Found the underwater filter and it works very well and completely silent.

cyris69

Also, is it ok to leave earth worms in the tank? I'd like to make this a viv at some point. My isopods are breeding pretty well now and I want to add them and worms to the substrate.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

i have an isopod colony, is it ok to have isopods in the tank, do they benefit the frog like they due with inverts?

cyris69

Yes, they are beneficial to a viv ecosystem or just to eat leftover stuff and help prevent mold. I just bought a pothos and some ivy. I want to know if I can use Miracle Grow organic choice mixed with my coco-fiber to keep my plants alive or will they grow in just coco-fiber

cyris69

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

awesome!

25. This member thanks daltar08 for this post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information