Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New baby!

cyris69

Default Re: New baby!

Thanks, I just added a few handfuls of organic potting soil to help the plants out since coco has zero nutrients. I managed to get the water very dirty

Not sure how I'm going to make the slope so he can get out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

do what i did, cut some pieces of aquarium plant (fake) and glue them so he can clime up onto them and out of the pool, i used a hot glue gun. Leave enough space on both sides so if he swims under it he doesnt get trapped and he can just swim to the other side. see what i did in the picture?

4. This member thanks daltar08 for this post:

cyris69

I will try and make something similar to yours. How often is he in the water swimming or floating? If I put a gold fish or molly in there will he dive for it?

Wonder if I can just use a normal aquarium siphon to get the coco out of the water?

cyris69

Well, I put him in the farthest side from the coco in the water he dived to the bottom then climbed out just fine. the vines in the water helped him too.

EDIT:
    You don't change the water everyday do you since you have the filter?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post
    Well, I put him in the farthest side from the coco in the water he dived to the bottom then climbed out just fine. the vines in the water helped him too.

EDIT:
    You don't change the water everyday do you since you have the filter?

No actually im not sure when i should change the water, i better look into that, he doesnt dive for the fish every one in awhile i will net him one and throw it in front ok him

cyris69

Ok, cool. I figure since they wont be staying in it constantly you could probably get away with a month at least between changes. Or do it like a fish tank and replace 25% of the water every few weeks. Not to mention the filter will help out quite a bit, I need to get some carbon pellets to add in the filter.

I'm very tempted to pick up a fish liek a pretty molly or something to put in there maybe two and have it just for looks and he can eat them if he wants.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

get something that isnt gonna die like a feeder goldfish, i have WhiteCloud Mountain Minnows in my swimming area right now!

cyris69

I just picked up two platy's and 8 feeder guppies(baby fancy's) the local petstore here was having a buy one get one for a penny any freshwater fish. Also get a 25% discount there.

cyris69

It's pretty cool having something that doubles as a fish tank and frog tank. My girlfriend wants fish and I want frogs now we can have both

I might have to pick up a mini heater at some point but my homes stays ~74 all day and plus the 12 hrs on/off of the 12watt bulb

cyris69

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cyris69 View Post

Make sure that the water is up to the level of your plexiglass that way if for some reason he cant get up over the vine you can just hop out

cyris69

Good point, it is all the way to the top. I will make sure to check it often. I just honestly don't see him going for a swim but who knows. Do you notice your little guy going for a swim very often?
    It looks like the way in and out is blocked but most fo the middle is completely open for him to get in and out.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I find him hanging ou around pool alot he jumps in sometimes yes but quickly gets out

Nationality
    [United States]

mine soaks a lot but never really "hops away" he's always waiting for me to open that top lol

cyris69

I think he tried to catch a fish because I found a baby guppy on the substrate or it jumped out... I hate waiting for a fish tank to cycle mine is going through the bacteria bloom already so its cloudy.

cyris69

How long can one of these frogs stay in the water? He can swim and float just fine. I scared him and he jumped into the water and I was watching him try to get out and he could not but finally did when he was able to get his front legs over the lip. The water is right up to the top nearly spilling over. I just want to make sure if I was to leave him for several hour and he got in there would he be ok?

I assume it will be much easier for him when he gets larger, and at the rate he is going it wont be long before he is palm sized.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

you need the fake plants in there like i did on mine so he can climb onto them lol, a stuck frog is a sad frog

cyris69

Just added three small red wigglers and two adult isopods and a baby that was on the worms to the viv. I will try to fashion some exits for the frog tomorrow. I'm thinking about cutting a 3-4" diameter pvc pipe in half and about the same in length and modify the pond area so he will have a shallow creek bed to go in and out of.

cyris69

He keeps getting in the water lol and getting stuck in there. I've been on the computer for a few hours and went to check on him and he is back in there hugging the lip and not getting out. I just want to make sure he can't die being in the water for a long period of time lets say 8 hours while I'm sleeping. I think he is trying to eat fish.

Nationality
    [United States]

the frog can drown honestly i think the water is to deep id put something in there to make it easier to get in and out i only used a little clay tray for mine when he was that size if he's having trouble getting in and out id be worried even if its just some paper towels that piled up id try something

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information