Thread: Honest opinion on a tank size?

InfinitysDaughter

Default Honest opinion on a tank size?

I have a 12x12x18 (roughly 10 gal I believe) tank for my whites whom I got about February of this year and she'd been there for several months already.

But every time I go into work (petsmart) her tank mate is STILL THERE. I feel so very bad because hes in probably about a 2.5 gal enclosure (because thats what corporate gives us. they think its enough. :/ I guess it would be if he was bought quickly but its been almost 9 months now. >.<). He does as well as can be expected and the girls who care for our reptiles/amphibians do everything they can to make him comfortable in such a squished situation but its just not the best for him, yaknow?

I've been trying to save for a larger tank so I can get him but I'm averaging about 8 hours a week and after I buy crickets and gas, my paycheck is usually gone. >.<

Could 2 whites share the tank I currently have? I'm hoping to find maybe a cheep or free 18x18x24 on craigslist or some place like that but so far my search (ongoing for several months now) has come up with zip. I hate that the poor thing is being kept in such cramped confines and I would really love to bring him home where he'd have his original tank mate back an much MUCH more leg room but I also wouldn't want to put him into a tank thats still too small for him.

So, honest opinions. Alone in a 2.5 or with a mate in a 10? Which would be better for the poor guy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Honest opinion on a tank size?

hard to say... the 2.5 gallon can't be any fun for the frog.
    I personally believe that the 12x12x18 is too small for even one white's. The 18x18x24 would comfortably accommodate 2 white's. Also, even though they were once roommates, you would still want to quarantine the new frog for at least 30days, so either way you will need to get another enclosure.
    I would strongly suggest getting a larger enclosure before adopting another frog... You could use the big tank for the new frog and then after 30 days move Azy in with him.
    Or, maybe someone else will adopt the remaining frog soon?
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

InfinitysDaughter

Ya...I'm not particularly fond of having Azy in the small tank either. I got it because a co worker said it was 20 gallons and she needed something that would not let the bugs that killed my gray into the tank. I have since beaten her repeatedly (I KID! but I did tell her she was mistaken). I didn't think about quarantine. That was stupid of me.

Either way I'd planned on eventually getting the larger tank.

Ya.....I guess I should just wait. I might get lucky and find something on craigs list if I just keep looking.

I hope someone gives him a chance if I cant. I try to get people interested when I'm working. I dont technically work in that area but if I see people looking at the frogs I point him out and say how amazing Whites are as pets. Hes hard to get adopted, though. He stays in a little wood tunnel and I've only ever seen him out once and that was after close around dinner time. >.< He is very shy.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

a 10 gal would be ok for baby whites. i m not sure how big your frogs are but i would prob save the frog in the 2.5 gal and add to 10 gal if frogs are not adults. get the bigger cage asap after that

InfinitysDaughter

Sadly they are both around 2-3 inches so there not babies.

Oh well. Back to craigs list!

Thread Information