Thread: So I definitely have a barking tree frog. I also definitely DON'T have much money. What additions to my current setup should I prioritize?

Emily Livingston

Default So I definitely have a barking tree frog. I also definitely DON'T have much money. What additions to my current setup should I prioritize?

Here's a pic:

Name:  2012-05-27_19-50-13_380.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  55.2 KB

anyway, even with my employee discount a setup this small cost me wayyy too much. I'm looking around for friends who might have old stuff lying around, but is there anything I absolutely HAVE to add?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ladydeath

Default Re: So I definitely have a barking tree frog. I also definitely DON'T have much money. What additions to my current setup should I prioritiz

they dont need a lot , i have basic set up too and they seem happy enough, as long as they get heat light food and water they will be happy. i tend to add things a bit at a time, as and when ive got a spare bit of cash, the odd bit of greenary,here and their. looks to me like you got most of the stuff you need, may be a back drop something the frogs can hide against may be but its not escentail.

TheGrayLady

Default Re: So I definitely have a barking tree frog. I also definitely DON'T have much money. What additions to my current setup should I prioritiz

I just wanna say... Your picture is everything, ANYONE reading this could ask for as far as know whats what and where!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

First of all, it looks like a really tiny terrarium (considering it's not much higher than a spray bottle...). If it is as small as it look, the first thing would be to get a proper enclosure for the frog. If you put that aside, the only thing I would add is climbing and hiding space, like some nice (real) plants (will help create a more stable environment as well). Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is a very good example of an excellent tree frog plant.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with Martin. You should have a 10 gallon vertical for one frog and more greenery for it to hang out on. I've never seen mine go into a hide. All 3 hang out on top in the branches, vines and greenery. You can find great deal on craigslist. Here's an example of mine with 3 Hyla chrysoscelis (cope's grey).

Name:  exo terra 2-28-12.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  154.7 KB
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

InfinitysDaughter

I dont know exactly what a barking tree frog looks like but if it dosn't get much bigger then an American Green then a small tank is not that big a deal. I know, its not popular opinion but it is true. I have a 12x12x12 tank (roughly 5 gallon) for my green and he is quite happy in it. Sings every morning and often during the day too. The only thing I'd say is get a broad leaf plant for yours to hide in. You can find something for a few dollars at walmart just try and get rid of as much of the dirt it comes in as possible and be sure that there are no Styrofoam balls clinging to it that your frog can ingest. Rinse off the plant itself with declorinated (or spring) water to make sure any pesticides and fertilizers are washed away and replant in the eco earth substraight your already useing. You can even plant directly into the sub in the tank with no pot (I had to because the plants I got were getting root bound and a larger pot would not fit).

I'd also either get rid of the moss or feed in a different container because if he ingests the moss he could get impaction and die. Putting the moss in the bottom of the tank and covering it with the eco earth will actually go a long way in keeping the humidity at long as you have a live plant and water dish and mist 2-3 times a day.

And, as a fellow petsmart worker, you paid too much for your spritzer bottle. X3 I use a Dollar store spray bottle and keep 2 two liters of declorinated water that I have to fill about once a week near the tanks. I gotta refill the spritz bottle 3 times a day but still. ^^;

OH!!! The last thing. Or really the first thing you should get. A hydrometer. You need to know how humid it is in the tank. That is a must.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Just got to say that I really don't agree. 5 gallons is really not enough in my opinion. That's an incredible small amount of space to live in. And there's no way to tell if he is "happy" or not, sadly.
    Just my opinion, but I highly suggest you get a larger enclosure.

Also, a hydrometer will do you no good here. A hygrometer on the other hand, will be a usefull device

InfinitysDaughter

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Just got to say that I really don't agree. 5 gallons is really not enough in my opinion. That's an incredible small amount of space to live in. And there's no way to tell if he is "happy" or not, sadly.
    Just my opinion, but I highly suggest you get a larger enclosure.

Also, a hydrometer will do you no good here. A hygrometer on the other hand, will be a usefull device
    o0 I...did not know I saying/tying it wrong. XD I will try to remember that.....probably will keep calling it the wrong thing though. @.@ How about humidity reading thing-a-ma-bob? XD

And I, respectfully, disagree with your disagreement. Croaking is a good sign of a frogs needs being met so I'd assume that since Percy sings daily that his needs are being met and that usually means there "happy". Now, I would say if I had the choice I'd put him in at least a 12x12x18 and if I can get the money to get Azy the larger tank I'll seriously think about moving him (her's is that size) but I dont want to upset the happy balance he seems to have. Yes. I would agree that more room is better then less but I would say that unless Emily can return that tank and put the money towards the larger sized tank (and if she has the ability to pay the difference) then yes I would agree getting the bigger tank is best. But having the smaller for the time being isn't going to be life threatening.

I'd say, knowing petsmart, waiting till the tanks go on petperks would be best. It usually takes a good chunk off the top and an employee discount takes off another chunk. If you still have your receipt, Emily, keep an eye on the tanks and you might get away with maybe having it cost an extra 20$ or so. Maybe a little more. Your gonna need something to keep your frog in, though, so get a critter keeper thats a decent size. Its a good investment anyway since they make great hospital tanks.

I agree with Martin- you need a bigger tank. Check garage sales, kijiji, etc. Cheap or even free tanks can be had, especially since a little leak makes a tank useless as an aquarium but still usable in a terrestrial setup.

At the same time, I would like to applaud your efforts in taking in a frog that was dumped at your doorstep (For those that missed your other post: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...tml#post115378)

Quote Originally Posted by InfinitysDaughter View Post
    And I, respectfully, disagree with your disagreement. Croaking is a good sign of a frogs needs being met so I'd assume that since Percy sings daily that his needs are being met and that usually means there "happy".
    I used to believe this as well, but I think we shouldn't under estimate the extremely powerful urge of a frogs breeding instincts. For example, I wanted some photos of calling wild ​toads. When spotted and closed in on, they go silent, stop moving, and try to be invisible. By doing my best calling toad imitation, I can quite often get them to start calling again. They're worried about me eating them, and yet my weak toad imitation spurs them on to compete for the lady toads and definitely give themselves away. This will often work on wild gray treefrogs as well.The breeding instinct is powerfully strong! Not that I'm saying calling in captivity isn't a good sign of overall health (it is one of the most difficult and dangerous things frogs do), just don't underestimate their natural urges to want to call.

Emily Livingston

Wow - a lot of replies since I last checked!
    Anyway, I know I need a bigger tank. I have my eye on the ExoTerra mini tall - 12x12x18, I believe. Employee sale weekend is coming up and it's on PetPerks until the 17th.

I wasn't really sure what I needed in terms of lamps, by the way. Infrared and moonlight are the two I was looking at. Wasn't sure which he'd prefer. It would be mainly for heat, I think - since he's nocturnal it should be enough to keep a heat lamp on all day, right? I need to figure out wattage or whatever though...

DESPERATELY need a hygrometer. I think this week will be figuring out my budget and going hunting.

As far as plants go - I've got one of the big viny ones (a fake pothos I think?) and twisted it in with the branches and around his cage. He really likes it - I'll see him out in the evening sometimes now, and I think I heard him croaking a bit last night! Still burrows down in the hide for the day though. I've never kept live plants before. If I'm going to be cleaning out his cage every couple weeks how will it survive?

I do have a kritter keeper that I use when I clean out my hamster's cage so that's all set.

The other thing I might have issues with during the school year is feeding. For now I've been getting 6 or 8 small crickets and putting them in every few days - he never catches them all until at least 2 nights later. When I'm at school though, I won't have a car and there's no pet stores in walking distance. I've never seen mealworms recommended for frogs so I'm wondering if earthworms would work, or maybe red wigglers or waxworms, just so that I'd have something that I could pretty easily keep a good stock of in the fridge.

If you're worried about plants surviving bi-weekly substrate changes (which is probably a good idea in the space you have), get a real, live pothos. You can hack pieces off and place the stem in water. It will root and you can have a free supply of replacement plants as needed (though it is pretty tough and will likely survive the cleaning process).

Earthworms are a terrific food source, make sure you can get a 'clean' supply of them that haven't had anything funny added to them or the substrate they come in. Mealworms are fine as an occasional treat and are really, really easy to keep. I've had the same colony in a small shoebox sized tupperware going for a few years now. No major smell, no escapes, minimal maintenance (small piece of veggie every couple of days for a source of moisture). They're worth it imo, even if it's just to have an emergency source of food should your other supply run out in the middle of exams. Waxworms are also in the 'treat' category, but I haven't had much success getting a colony going.

Thread Information