Thread: Silversides for food???

Rickky88

Default Silversides for food???

Hey guys is it ok to feed your frogs thawed silversides...and how frequently can I do this if so...mine frog ate a piece of one today...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Silversides for food???

Quote Originally Posted by Rickky88 View Post
    Hey guys is it ok to feed your frogs thawed silversides...and how frequently can I do this if so...mine frog ate a piece of one today...
    What are silversides and why would you feed a piece to your frog and THEN ask if its ok to feed it to your frog?????

IT IS SAFER TO ASK FIRST!!! I don't know what they are. I'm assuming its a type of fish and recommend that you not feed them to your frog anymore because I've never heard of anyone using them and if they contain parasites like certain bacteria and viruses they do not die from freezing they just to dormant until you thaw the fish and get inside a host.

Be smarter when it comes to what you feed your frog. That's like feeding it arsenic and then asking us if its ok understand?

Be more careful.

Omega

I'm wondering the same thing. They're small marine fish frozen and sold as food for saltwater carnivores. I feed them to my rose bubble-tip anemone. The package says they're appropriate for both fresh and marine carnivores but I doubt marine fish would be OK for a pacman.

Omega

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That's like feeding it arsenic and then asking us if its ok understand?
    Oh come on, it's nothing like that at all lol. It's good to ask first, yes, but worst case scenario silversides are a lousy treat that should be avoided and not some kind of poison that ensures the frog's death.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Oh come on, it's nothing like that at all lol. It's good to ask first, yes, but worst case scenario silversides are a lousy treat that should be avoided and not some kind of poison that ensures the frog's death.
    If they carry any diseases or parasites that will kill the frog then it is EXAXTLY like poison. Nowhere in that statement was I overexagerating.

Omega

I suppose that eating sashimi is akin to eating arsenic too then, lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I suppose that eating sashimi is akin to eating arsenic too then, lol.
    Haha!! Not quite . People just need to be more careful when feeding their pets something that they aren't sure is safe.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey, I just saw this thread. If fish in and of themselves aren't a problem for pacman frogs, a silverside shouldn't hurt them. They are commonly fed to garters which are very sensitive to salt and chemicals (I keep garters, so I'm very familiar with silversides). If you buy them from a petstore supplier like Petsmart or something, then they should have no salt or parasites, even though they are marine fish.
    Silversides are really common 'safe' feeders for a lot of reptiles if live fish aren't available (basically, if it can eat fish, silversides shouldn't hurt it). I personally wouldn't feed a lot of them to a pac, just because I wouldn't feed them mostly fish to begin with.
    Just thought I'd post since it doesn't seem like anyone here uses silversides

I do agree with Grif though, if you aren't sure it's better to ask first and then feed.

Rickky88

I'm familiar with silversides...my saltwater and freshwater fish love them...so do my monitors and other lizards...wasnt really asking if it was ok to feed it silversides as I know that they are safe...safe meaning it isn't deadly to them...but more wanted to know how often I could do this....

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Rickky88 View Post
    I'm familiar with silversides...my saltwater and freshwater fish love them...so do my monitors and other lizards...wasnt really asking if it was ok to feed it silversides as I know that they are safe...safe meaning it isn't deadly to them...but more wanted to know how often I could do this....
    I figured that's what the deal was, just couldn't tell 100% from that first post I meant that it didn't seem like the people replying were familiar with them, since they aren't super common for feeding frogs.
    I wouldn't use the silversides as a staple or anything, probably only a couple times a month like you'd feed pinkie mice. Maybe a little more often since the fat content isn't quite as high.

Thread Information