Thread: Help Identifying Newly Found "Froglets" - Cope's Grays, Green tree frogs, or toads??

ColbyJoe

Default Help Identifying Newly Found "Froglets" - Cope's Grays, Green tree frogs, or toads??

Me, my son, and two daughters went on the hunt for another Cope's Gray this afternoon and came upon two of their friends who helped us catch about 8 little froglets/teeny tiny frogs. I need help with identifying them ASAP in order to release the ones that aren't Grays. I'm positive that we have at least 4 actual "tree frogs", 3 of which are a clearish brown with white bellies and they are clinging to the sides of the container they are in. One is bigger than the other two and its eyes look like a Cope's Gray but I know nothing about identifying new babies. Plus I don't know when the yellow/orange starts to show up on them either. The rest of the froggies either don't have their "suckers" grown in completely or they are toads, which I don't want. Plus the ones that I think are toads are a much darker brown, with a hint of olive, and have burgundy/reddish dots on their backs. These are all huddled together on the rocks too but the tree frogs are hanging out all over the container!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help Identifying Newly Found "Froglets" - Cope's Grays, Green tree frogs, or toads??

First off if you have toads and frogs together, you will most likely kill the frogs because of the toxins the toads produce. It just sounds like you need to let everything back into the wild, do some research on frogs and purchase a c/b (captive breed) from a breeder.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

ColbyJoe

Default Re: Help Identifying Newly Found "Froglets" - Cope's Grays, Green tree frogs, or toads??

Prior to posting this my daughter and I had already separated the tree frogs and the toads. Thankfully I have been reading a lot of articles on this site and already knew not to keep them together. Definitely don't want any of the little fellas to die. We're going to release the little toads tomorrow morning as it's storming right now. We also have some tadpoles, one looks to have little arm buds growing and from the pictures of their growth stages, I'm fairly sure it's a Cope's Gray.

Thread Information