Thread: The upsetting trip to petsmart

BigBlue83

Default The upsetting trip to petsmart

I didnt even know we had a petsmart here in ct. never seen one always whent to and seen petco. well the other day i was driving by and seen it. so i decided to stop and get crickets. after bringing them home, i realized they were real sickly looking. the brown was dark and they were soft to the touch. they didnt have much for my needs besides that so i decided to not go back. well this past weekend i was going fishing in a local river, and the petsmart was around the corner so i picked up some supper grubs their good for trout fishing. while in their ( when in any pet store ) i took a look at the pacman(s). The ****ING PACMAN WAS AT 15 PERCENT HUMIDITY AND 95 DEGREE TEMP!!! THE HUMIDY GAUGE WAS AT DESERT!!!
    so i spoke with a worker and informed them politely that i wasnt trying to be rude or come across the wrong way, however their pacmans frogs temps were way off! (i didnt even mention the moss that was in the tank WTF!) and she told me dont worry sir ill have someone check it and rolled her eyes and walked away. i wish they could be reported and shut down!

sorry bout my rant lol... damn though....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: The upsetting trip to petsmart

I have experienced the same thing with the Petsmarts here. They always have the Pacs in improper conditions, usually on bark with a water dish so deep that they would drown in it. I have pointed the problems to management. I even showed them their own flyer on Pacman care and the exact products they should be using in the aisles. They typically shrug it off. And the next time they get a Pacman in it goes right back into the same improper conditions. It is very frustrating. Every time I see one, I want to buy it just to rescue it, but of course that is just fueling the system. They care about money, not the well-being of the animals. They are fine with dogs and cats and such, but fewer people care about amphibians and reptiles so their care is neglected. It is a horrible situation. Maybe a letter to corporate would get their attention??

Amphibious

Similar at the petco here. The pacmans are house in enclosures with like 3/4 moss, and feed on moss. There's one with crazy lips; it's mouth won't close.
    They have 6-8 baby bearded dragons in an enclosure fit for one. They have a similar number young leopard geckos in an enclosure <10g. I want to either work there and actually take care of them or buy them all.

IvoryReptiles

Letters to management & headquarters do nothing. Believe me, I have tried. They hose the reptiles & amphibians not to properly house them but to showcase them.....to make them "Attractive" to buyers. They cater to the ignorant and hate it when someone with any knowledge of husbandry fo the animals is in the store. I have politely offered our assistance and have been smirked at and condescended until I am about to lose what little temper I have left with them........I now go in guns blazing. I will comment (loudly) how horrible the conditions & health of the animals are and go on & on about the prices being ridiculous........at which point a manager will come and ask me what animal is in need..........sometimes, I even make a difference & sometimes I take an animal home for free that I spoil until it dies (usually less than a week's time) in my care if it is too far gone. It is a war I cannot win, so I will take whatever skirmish victories I can...........one day, when I win the Lotto, I plan to go all Lord (Lady) of The Rings on their butts!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I have undying love for anyone willing to use the power of the One Ring against petsmart.

Ours can't keep anything alive for more than a couple months other than ball pythons (but then again, I think you have to actively TRY to kill those). I almost got in trouble once because somebody was talking about how the leopard gecko was 'sleeping', and I informed them that it was not sleeping but dying because of being kept on sand. They also don't like it when I go by the fish tanks because I point out very loudly which fish are about a week away from dying, and mention that everything in the tank with them probably has the same thing. I currently have two rescued animals from them though, my pac and my goldfish.
    Sadly, with all the animals I have and the added costs of having something shipped if you buy it over the internet, I've probably bought somebody at Petsmart headquarters a speedboat by now. (You know, because once you get an ill animal from them, you either have to go back and buy the meds, or wait until it dies and buy a new one. That's their system, right?)

Amphibious

So Petco called me for consumer feedback today! I was honest. I told them I was satisfied with the service, but I said I was upset with the animals. He said"Oh, you were looking for a lizard or something that they didn't have?" and I said "No. Their housing is inadequate." I doubt it makes any difference, but he seemed taken aback and I felt good about it.

Thread Information