Thread: poisonous toad or no?

pondboy

Default poisonous toad or no?

Hello everyone,

i live in FL (near west palm beach) and i plan to build a pond in my front yard, but i seem to have three of the same toads hanging around. they come out at night (don't know where they hide in the day) and im not able to tell if they are a Bufo terrestris or Bufo marinus. I've used this website to help (Florida Wildlife Extension at UF/IFAS) but still can't determine which one it is, so I turn to you guys. hopefully you are able to help me because i really want to build a pond but do not want a knot of poisonous toads since i have two young children as well as a dog.

here are the pics...

sorry they were taken with a camera phone and the little guy kept trying to get away so i only manged to get these.

ps: its the same toad, there are two who are about the same size and one who looks that is younger because of the small size but two of the three where hiding and only got this guy.

thanks in advanced for the help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: poisonous toad or no?

It's a Rhinella marina, aka the marine or cane toad and it is seriously toxic. That being said, all Bufonids (true toads) are toxic.

4. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

pondboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    It's a Rhinella marina, aka the marine or cane toad and it is seriously toxic. That being said, all Bufonids (true toads) are toxic.
    thank you for your response! now my next question is...how do i get rid of them? i still want to build a pond but dont want them to come and settle in and have more marine toads around. i don't know how they got here or why they stay, but its been about 6 weeks now that ive been seeing them. there always in front of the garage.

fardilis

Yep it's a cane toad. It's only dangerous if you eat (or lick) one.

Why do you want to get rid of them? They wont do any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Nearly all amphibians contain toxins, the majority will do no, or little, harm. Cane toads are fine to be near/handle without a risk of toxins affecting you, unless you eat or lick one you will be fine. 'Seriously toxic', seems a bit of an exaggeration.

pondboy

Quote Originally Posted by fardilis View Post
    Yep it's a cane toad. It's only dangerous if you eat (or lick) one.

Why do you want to get rid of them? They wont do any damage.

Nearly all amphibians contain toxins, the majority will do no, or little, harm. Cane toads are fine to be near/handle without a risk of toxins affecting you, unless you eat or lick one you will be fine. 'Seriously toxic', seems a bit of an exaggeration.
    thank you
    i wanted to get rid of the because i thought they were poisonous and would be harmful to have around but since your saying that ill be fine as long as i don't eat or lick one.....so say if i touch it (with my hand) ill be fine (not that i have but just wanting to make sure i can get that close to it without having harm done)

Wormwood

You can even handle them. The only thing to wory about are those two big glands behind their eyes. If you squeeze them hard enough of if they are stressed out enough they will ooze or shoot out a white puss looking from them.

The only real issue I can see if your dog trying to pick one up in his or her mouth and getting the toxin into it's system. Your best bet is just to keep an eye on the dog when it's outside since it's very possible if it ingests enough to get sick or even die. The toxin is pretty strong stuff and kills plenty of native fauna in Austrailia due to animals like lizards, snakes and crocs eating them.

If you have any light sources on outside during the night I'd turn them off. This might detour them from hunting in the area as light attracts bugs and often they'll sit below a light source and eat what drops to the ground. Also removing any standing pools of water, even if it be low lying empty pots and filling in pot holes that fill up during rain storms will help.

fardilis

Quote Originally Posted by pondboy View Post
    thank you
    i wanted to get rid of the because i thought they were poisonous and would be harmful to have around but since your saying that ill be fine as long as i don't eat or lick one.....so say if i touch it (with my hand) ill be fine (not that i have but just wanting to make sure i can get that close to it without having harm done)
    Yep, if you need to touch them make sure you wash your hands first (without soap,chemicals etc) as they are very sensitive to chemicals and toxins. They secreate poison from the glands on the neck and it's quite visible when they do anyway (white goo-like stuff oozes out). Aslong as you wash yoru hands afterwoods you'll be fine.

Thread Information