Thread: Sick Pacman--vet no help

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Sick Pacman--vet no help

Everyone over here in my house thinks I am nuts for spending the money to take the pacman to the vet, but I did it anyway. I know I only paid $15 for him, but whatever. Anyway, I am thinking he might have MBD--he was unhealthy since day #1. (Last time I buy something from a reptile show. Never had luck there.) He was the size of a dime and had a "water bubble" almost as big as he was on his back. Pedialyte/water baths seemed to help, but he has never been what I would call a healthy specimen. His hips are also crooked. One side is much more prominent than the other.
    Fast forward a couple of months (March, I think). Quarter size now, and he gets his tongue stuck on some of that fake moss stuff (yarn glued to a rubber mat--so NOT what I thought I was buying) and I find him flipped. Thought he was dead--he wasn't (obviously) but he also has not been the same. His tongue was swollen and red...I fasted him and soaked him often. Changed bedding daily, that sort of thing. He kept flipping, so I covered his tank to reduce stress. When he tried to eat, he would get the food in half in his mouth, but couldn't seem to swallow. I started force feeding him the Flukers Repta Boost. Meanwhile, every now and then he just gets swollen--looks like someone filled his gut with water. I mean he is see through he is so bloated!! Finally, I took him in to the vet and honestly I don't think she understood what I was talking about. She kept talking about foreign bodies and checked him out for that, but didn't seem to notice he jaw sort of open. She prescribed amikasin (sp) to give him once every other day for 2 weeks. He just isn't getting better. She recommended changing UVB light but I have read recently that they don't need UVB (per Frank Indiviglio, Bronx Zoo keeper and more trusted source than this vet, imo). I moved him up to a 10 gallon (but he is so small!) and keep the tank at 80-85 with humidity around 80% give or take. He is on coco bedding, but fed (well, force fed atm) out of his cage so he does not ingest bedding. He has a water dish he can get into. I also mist 1-2x a day--he seems to get "waxy" if I don't. I am at my wits end. Does anyone have some thoughts on how I can help him? I am afraid it might be MBD (which maybe can be fixed) or kidney issues, which probably cannot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Pacman--vet no help

Do you de-chlorinate your frogs water? Pictures of your frog and his enclosure would help. MBD is Metabolic Bone Disease. What makes you think that he has it?

Answer the questions in the sticky at the very top of the Pacman section called(Trouble in the enclosure). This will help us figure out the problem.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, my bad! Here is that info:
    1. Size of enclosure 10 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences Just him
    3. Humidity 70-80%
    4. Temperature 80-85
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish tap with dechlorinator
    6. Materials used for substrate Cocofiber
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. Plastic hide, no other
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    Currently, ReptaBoost. Previously mainly mealworms (I know better now), won't eat crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    Once a week for calcium & reptivite
    10. Lighting Daylight Blue light for light & heat
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure Heating pad on side & light
    12. When is the last time he/she ate yesterday--force fed
    13. Have you found poop lately nope
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog Got in October as wee one~~8 months?
    16. How long have you owned him/her Since October
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred CB
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats Was not that diverse previously--mealworms & baby hissers. Would not eat crickets.
    19. How often the frog is handled When force fed--every other day
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area Low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) Change water once week, more if soiled/dirty. Use mild bleach solution to clean dish. Clean cage infrequently unless needed.

I will post pics as soon as I have a charged phone!

Nationality
    [United States]

I think he has MBD because he moves oddly--herky jerky movements (could be normal for a pac man?), he seems uncoordinated, his jaw sort of gapes open, and his hips are deformed. He needs to go in for a recheck-- I might get X-Rays--if I can afford them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by CJonard View Post
    I think he has MBD because he moves oddly--herky jerky movements (could be normal for a pac man?), he seems uncoordinated, his jaw sort of gapes open, and his hips are deformed. He needs to go in for a recheck-- I might get X-Rays--if I can afford them.
    That would be heat.

Stop using bleach for his water dish. It should be changed daily and no less than every two days. Do you expand his cocofiber with de-chlorinated water?

IvoryReptiles

All kinds of stuff going on here but without a few photos, we can only speculate at best. If you've had it since October, I am guessing it is impacted now and has some genetic issues. I know you said you purchased it at a Reptiles show.....who was the vendor? Was it the actual breeder you bought it from? And also.....85 is a little high for temps. At 7 months old, it should be well over 2 inches SVL........waiting for those photos!

Nationality
    [United States]

Bedding doesn't need to be changed daily. For one that small in a 10 gallon, probably no more than every two weeks or so, and just spot-clean poo. Since he's sick, minimizing the amount of contact with him would be best for his stress level. Unless you sit the water used to expand the new cocofiber under the heat lamp first, getting a bedding change is a little bit of a temperature shock; not normally a problem, but with a sick frog you might want to avoid doing that often.

Sounds like he probably had problems when you got him...

ravenwing

How often do you give your frog calcium on his/her food?

Thread Information