Thread: help and advice please

Ruby Tiger

Unhappy help and advice please

My BBWT had developed an infection on his leg and had lost his toes and I am heartbroken for him for he now can't use his front leg properly as I think he has lost the feeling in it. He had treatment for it but my questions are: are toads/frogs prone to getting infections like this? and will my toad have a bad quality of life if he can't use his front leg when he will have to live with this for the rest of his life?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kevinp

Default Re: help and advice please

hi. you said he was treated ? with what, for what, and for how long ? who made the diagnosis that led to a treatment plan ? what was the diagnosis ? what other things have you done to help with this problem ? more info is needed, the conditions in the viv,food, cage-mates etc.

i'll venture an opinion that it sounds bacterial in nature. a bad problem with bacterial infections is that if treatment isn't long enough or suscessful then it can go systemic, meaning travel throughout the body.

an issue like this isn't common , but many issues can show up within a collection. wild caught animals are more likely to have issue than true captive bred animals. stress is the largest killer of captive frogs i'd bet. stress in all its forms weaken an animals ability to fight off parastes infections and so on. when you hear of people that don't have problems with their collections it's from having a thorough understanding of the animals and their requirements. and are willing and able to take care of them.

if your toad makes it, i hope he does, and he doesn't appear to be in pain and can catch his food..these would be good signs. many animals have fine lives missing a limb. ultimately you are the one who has to make that decision cuz you're with him.

good luck with him, i have a few myself and they're pretty cool

Thread Information