Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Question.

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Question.

I have 4 Red eyed tree frogs, I am looking to change my vivarium up to all water bottom. I just purchased a filtering waterfall with a pump so that will filter my water of the big stuff but I am looking to toss a UV sterilizer in their as well. Is this a good idea? I was thinking of doing this because I want to make a rain system that uses the water at the bottom to circulate rain. If I use a UV sterilizer will it kill the bad bacteria before it goes into the rain system. This is just a idea at the moment but I am actually shopping around for UV pumps right now. I dont want my frogs to get sick from the water they live in... Will this work? And what wattage should I get? I will have a false bottom that keeps all my pumps away from my frogs. I may skip the rain system but I still want the water to be as clean and bacteria free as possible so please give me any information you have on this. I was also thinking once I try to breed them I can use this UV sterilizer in my rain chamber so I wouldnt have to change the water so much. I am not sure if I am on the right track so give me your insight. Thanks Josh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Question.

Quote Originally Posted by anderson405 View Post
    I have 4 Red eyed tree frogs, I am looking to change my vivarium up to all water bottom. I just purchased a filtering waterfall with a pump so that will filter my water of the big stuff but I am looking to toss a UV sterilizer in their as well. Is this a good idea? I was thinking of doing this because I want to make a rain system that uses the water at the bottom to circulate rain. If I use a UV sterilizer will it kill the bad bacteria before it goes into the rain system. This is just a idea at the moment but I am actually shopping around for UV pumps right now. I dont want my frogs to get sick from the water they live in... Will this work? And what wattage should I get? I will have a false bottom that keeps all my pumps away from my frogs. I may skip the rain system but I still want the water to be as clean and bacteria free as possible so please give me any information you have on this. I was also thinking once I try to breed them I can use this UV sterilizer in my rain chamber so I wouldnt have to change the water so much. I am not sure if I am on the right track so give me your insight. Thanks Josh
    Hi Josh,
    The UV pump sounds like a great idea and interesting concept.
    I wish I knew more about it.
    Maybe a hydroponic gardening supply company?
    I recently remove the water from mine. It was on 50% of the bottom.
    ( I wanted reduce the possibility of any bacterial sources or other bugs)

This will be interesting to follow.
    Hopefully you could continue to post or mabye a "build thread"?
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Hey
    Update on the new tank.. I have bought a mean green 3w uv sterilizer to put in the tank. I figured the smaller one would work since i will only have about 8 gallons of water at the bottom of my tank. I also bought 5 little guppy to put in their also. Not to sure how the fish will work but I am gonna try it. With this low amount of water I think the 3watt would actually circulate all of the water and actually sterilize it at the same time if not it will have a easy time circulating all of the water a few times to make sure the UV light passes through it all. I will keep yall updated I will take some pictures also... The guppies I got have amazing colors,, I let the oldest pick them out. I will be setting it up as soon as I get the stuff in the mail which will be I hope sat.. I am also waiting on 1000 crickets so I need to set up a home for all of them. Josh

Nationality
    [United States]

Im looking forward to seeing how the sterilizer works for you. I hope you'll post pictures when it's complete .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Today has come where i think I have everything I need so I will start taking everything out and cleaning my tank. I will take pictures as I go along and see where it gets me. I am very excited about this.. I recently bought a few things so I will make a list and then show how I will or may set my tank up... I also plan to do 100% water bottom, roughly 4 inches of water. I have full grown adult Red eyed Tree frogs in a 24x18x24 exo terra. I thought that the frogs do know how to swim so 4-5 inches of water would not be a issue. Now if I have issues I will log them so everyone can learn from my mistakes. I know of 1 off hand that I have to do from the start. I need to take the background off that came with the tank. For some reason I cant get it tight enough to keep the crickets from getting back their. This isnt a big issue I will just put something on the outside of the back of the tank. This will also give me another one inch of space so it works out better. Now I have all live plants so the only thing stopping me from jumping into this project right now is how do I keep all of the plants out of the water. This is where Im a little stumped. I have a Pothos, Lucky Money tree ( 3-4 trees all wrapped together) 4 long stick Bamboo I have 2 others that I dont know what they are at the moment they are very short with big leaves (ill take a picture to show you). I have seen of people using the spray foam to make a background but I am not looking to do this even though I bought a can just in case I needed it. I may use this to put some plants on the side of the tank or even in a corner if I like it. I am not sure yet. I was thinking of using their pots as base and spraying foam around to give it a sorta ledge look. not sure if it will work but I will take pictures if I attempt to do it. I am not looking forward to letting my tank sit for that stuff to dry. Well I am gonna get start on some stuff so I will keep yall updated.. I enjoy hearing your thoughts so please share them with me.. Josh

Fluckers Thermometer/ hygrometer
    Green killing machine 3w UV sterillizer with pump
    5 male guppies
    Turtle water fall with carbon filters.
    Cricket hide rock

Oh Yaa forgot to tell yall. I am also waiting on 1000 live crickets so I have to build a place to keep them. I am going to try to breed them so I will also take pictures of this also. Im tired of spending 11c per cricket so I thought this would be easier. i will be heating the cricket cage with a flood light on a thermostat. I got a hot water heater thermostat but Im not to sure if it will work since it only goes down to 90F this could be a issue. I suppose I could toss a fan in their to keep the temps down but I will see. The tank I got is huge so I dont think the higher temps will be a issue. My biggest issue is what soil to use for the crickets to lay their eggs in. I also thought ahead. I could have bought adult crickets (1 inchers) but i bought 1/2inch crickets so I wil have to keep them alive for a while so I can get all of the eggs. I do have a lot of space with my garage and shed to house them when the temps dont drop to low at night. I lost 500 crickets to 50F weather a few months ago. What a waste. Now I have some money into all of this so i am hoping to have a steady supply of crickets. I also like the fact that when I breed my RETF I can use the pinheads for food for all of the babies. but I dont know if my tree frogs will breed since their wild caught.

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome!

Oh, just a little note, my crickets accidentally bred when I put a UTH heat matt on the side of the tank near the moist substrate.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information